iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: FLE 2023 Launch Announcement

Post by iain »

^^^^ Christmas!!!!!!

I hope not.

In all seriousness it would be nice to get an update from CW on this. Original estimates for this was for an April/May delivery.

It is the 1st May on Monday and there’s still not even a hint of the sample dial being ready in order for production to move ahead.

The actual time scales aren’t that important to me to be honest but I’d prefer to be told a date off into the future than to hear nothing.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

@iain
Steve will post an update either today, or over the weekend :thumbup:

Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post (total 2):
iainmissF
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

^^^^ Thanks Neil, that’s me not moving from the forum for a while…….
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

As Neil mentioned earlier, I was planning to give an update soon on where we are with the FLE, particularly as delivery was initially estimated to be for April/May and we are bang in the middle of that now. Here's the latest...

The sample dial has taken a little longer to produce during the earlier part of the year, partly due to CW being really busy at present and partly because the dial is fairly complicated, e.g. with the central repeating twin flag texture, the concentric black rings and the applied logo.

Eventually, a sample dial was due a couple of weeks ago, which CW intended to share with me and the Design Group. However, when the guys in Switzerland received it they weren't happy with a couple of aspects. Firstly, the textured twin flags repeating pattern on the centre white section did not have sufficient depth and contrast. Secondly, the applied logo did not align correctly with the underlying repeating twin flag pattern on the dial.

Consequently, they have sent it back to be re-done. It is being positioned as a priority job, given the delays so far, with Jorg Jr personally overseeing it now, and a new sample dial is anticipated in about two weeks' time. CW have said that they really want to get this absolutely spot-on, so fingers crossed that the new sample dial will be perfect. [-o<

Assuming that the dial appears in two weeks and is all okay, then deliveries would now likely be in late June or July. It's unfortunate and frustrating, I know, and CW are very apologetic, but it can't be helped. In the long run, it's much more important to get the watch absolutely perfect than to rush the delivery.

On a more positive note, the work on the bespoke caseback has been completed and is apparently all fine. CW are going to send me some photos of it, which I will share with you as soon as I get them.

I hope that helps to bring you all up to speed, but please post any questions below and I will try to answer them, or seek answers from CW.

Finally, the current orders stand at 47, i.e. there are 3 spares, so if there is anyone who still wants to place an order, please contact Kip as per the first post in this thread. :thumbup:
These users thanked the author welshlad for the post (total 12):
nbgajax87rkovarstikkathreeMacdazKipkeisuke_zJasperCatTonywalkerthomcat00 and 2 more users
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

Thanks for the update, no problem with the delay as far as I’m concerned and I’d rather wait and get it right, as I’m sure everyone else waiting for this watch would.

I certainly appreciate the update and thank you for keeping us informed.
These users thanked the author iain for the post (total 4):
welshladrkovarsChris375Tonywalker
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

welshlad wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:34 pm Firstly, the textured twin flags repeating pattern on the centre white section did not have sufficient depth and contrast. Secondly, the applied logo did not align correctly with the underlying repeating twin flag pattern on the dial.
If CW are looking at this level of detail when they build watches then that’s a great thing all round. Thanks for the update. For all my impatience I’d rather have the details right.

Another slightly related thought - if CW are moving towards a kind of production model where small batches of watches are produced ahead of launch followed by pre-ordering (I get that there might be good business reasons for running things this way), then they’re going to have to dance faster and keep on top of things to make sure they can satisfy demand. Having a delivery date pushed back for a watch that might be the only watch you buy from CW is going to turn some people away.
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
Dilbert
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

Thank you welshlad for that comprehensive and clear update.

I'm thinking about my neighbour who engaged builders about a year ago to put a single storey extension on the house and they were going to be in before Christmas 2022.
Something wasn't quite right, something else became more complicated and then some components were on back order from oh maybe China. Then they took advantage of a delay to add in some more work here, some more work there and here we are at the cusp of going into May and quite probably the month of June will arrive before the neighbours can say that's that. My role is no bigger than polite enquiry and all due empathy for their obvious frustrations. It's true to say they went for an extension because they want to stay where they are rather than relocate.

My neighbours' delays, our delays are nothing more than first world problems and I'd much rather wait a little longer for perfection than take delivery of a compromise solution next week. Sure I'm disappointed by the slippage. I'm now remembering how often similar manufacturing delays on crowdfunded watches through kickstarter would cause a general wave of knowing "oh yes, they're always so much slower than intended" and there'd be much head shaking among the experienced.

That slippage? Gives me more time to enjoy my recent acquisitions and more time to look forward to receiving my FLE 2023. :thumbup: :thumbup:
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post (total 3):
rkovarsjkbarnesTonywalker
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
OllyW
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 8

Post by OllyW »

I wonder what is going to arrive first, the FLE 2023 or purple Ti 12?

Might be some eyebrows raised if they are both delivered at the same time. :shock:
ea.fasnacht

Post by ea.fasnacht »

Thanks for the update. Happy to wait as well, although the Twelve is making me more impatient than I expected...
geokarbou7

Post by geokarbou7 »

Thank you for the update. I was expecting some delays so all good over here haha. The only problem is holding out on buying more watches until then. The twelve is looking amazing but got to wait for the FLE first :lol:
adather

Post by adather »

If CW doesn't hurry up and get this fleshed out.... I'm going to have to buy another CW to tide myself over. That'll show 'em.

On a serious note, has anyone heard any updates on the dials/ETA? Cheers all! 🍻
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

adather wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 11:13 pm . . . . . .

As mentioned in another thread, I'm sure @welshlad will provide a suitable update, beyond his post of April 28th when one is available.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 11:24 pm
adather wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 11:13 pm . . . . . .

As mentioned in another thread, I'm sure @welshlad will provide a suitable update, beyond his post of April 28th when one is available.

Guy
S'funny thing: our marathon patience (well it is for me) FLE crossed my mind yesterday too. "How soon, how soon?" I wondered whimsically. "At least another month so suck it up buttercup!" :silent:
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
Kalli64
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 51

Post by Kalli64 »

Patience is not one of my strengths. The order confirmation says pre-order 13.03.2023 - now we have the end of May.

It would be nice if CW would comment on the state of affairs in the meantime ;-)
Thomas

My CW collection:
C1 - 7x / C5 - 1x / C63 - 3x / C60 - 21x / C65 - 8x / C7 - 5x / C8 - 2x / C9 - 2x / C90 - 2x
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Kalli64 wrote:Patience is not one of my strengths. The order confirmation says pre-order 13.03.2023 - now we have the end of May.

It would be nice if CW would comment on the state of affairs in the meantime ;-)
Maybe you should read the post by @welshlad of 28th April above.

This watch is a private Bespoke order (not a public one) being organised by the Forum. We, the Forum will keep you up to date, not CW.

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post:
Kalli64
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England