Celebrating the C70

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Celebrating the C70

Post by Richard D »

I’m delighted to see that the C70 has a page to itself in the latest edition of the Loop. The C70 series, in my humble opinion, was a highlight in the evolution of the Christopher Ward brand. None more so when they pulled off an Aston Martin motor racing coup with the 1959 Le Mans winning Aston Martin DBR1/2 inspired watch. It contains a disc from the historic car in the backplate. I remember the negativity the edition caused at the time, a price difference with the original C70 DBR1 Chronometer. I was fortunate to buy one of these very special C70 DBR 1/2 limited to just 100 watches for the sum of £950. Today, the watch fetches anything between £2,000 & £3,000 depending on condition, box and papers.

The Christopher Ward C70 DBR1/2 Chronometer Aston Martin Centenary Limited Edition Owner’s Handbook gives a detailed account of why this watch is so special. See link: https://www.christopherward.com/on/dema ... manual.pdf

1101970C-C35A-4F3E-A34F-57222B73E3E9.jpeg

In celebration, please share your editions of the C70, never know it may lead to a revival.
These users thanked the author Richard D for the post (total 5):
tikkathreethomcat00OllyWLairdMiniMpi
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Celebrating the C70

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Excellent watches. I’ve had two different ones, one of them twice. I let them both go when I decided to go quartz-free. One was the C70BE Ascari COSC.

The one I have owned twice is the DBR1. This copy had a bit of history and I decided to let it go in aid of a charity. I just heard the other week that it had exceeded expectations in terms of funds raised. Happy with that.

These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post (total 3):
Richard DLairdMiniMpi
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:05 pm The one I have owned twice is the DBR1. This copy had a bit of history and I decided to let it go in aid of a charity. I just heard the other week that it had exceeded expectations in terms of funds raised. Happy with that.
What was the charity and how much did it fetch?
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

I would like to see a C70 revival, titanium case with matt ceramic bezel. The keep the cost down I would be happy with an ETA 251.233 COSC movement.
These users thanked the author Richard D for the post:
Laird
Richard

Amor Vincit Omnia

The charity was a hospice often mentioned here.

The amount was…very pleasing.

I won’t specify since it relied ultimately on the generosity of another forum member.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
jkbarnes
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

I sometimes regret selling my French GP version, but the books had to be balanced. This was a superb lineup.

C70 on blue strap.jpg
These users thanked the author FloridaPhil for the post (total 2):
Richard DMiniMpi
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:19 pm The charity was a hospice often mentioned here.

I won’t specify since it relied ultimately on the generosity of another forum member.
I understand not mentioning a forum member but its a bit secretive as to which charity and amount raised. I can’t remember a specific hospice being mentioned on the forum. I’m genuinely interested, I’m exploring ways to raise funds for my charity and it’s good to see what others are doing.
Richard

Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Richard D wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:30 pm
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:19 pm The charity was a hospice often mentioned here.

I understand not mentioning a forum member but its a bit secretive as to which charity and amount raised. I can’t remember a specific hospice being mentioned on the forum. I’m genuinely interested, I’m exploring ways to raise funds for my charity and it’s good to see what others are doing.
@Richard D

Forum member and Charity / Charities are no secret as it happens Richard.

All the relevant facts, for your benefit and that of new forum members who may not have previously seen it, bar the eventual Sale Price and amount of Charity donation, are laid bare in this thread from Feb / Mar '22 in the Sales Corner;-

*CHARITY AUCTION* C70 DBR1 *COMPLETED*.

Guy
These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post:
Richard D
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

Back to the topic, I find the C70 line appealing via pictures. I’ve not seen one in person but the variety of their livery certainly stokes interest.
These users thanked the author thomcat00 for the post (total 2):
Richard DLaird
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
Amor Vincit Omnia

@thomcat00 Much the same appeal for collectors as the Moonswatches. All a bit different, and there are people here who have quite a few, possibly even “the set” - not sure.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
thomcat00
Steve

Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:19 pm
@Richard D

Forum member and Charity / Charities are no secret as it happens Richard.

All the relevant facts, for your benefit and that of new forum members who may not have previously seen it, bar the eventual Sale Price and amount of Charity donation, are laid bare in this thread from Feb / Mar '22 in the Sales Corner;-

*CHARITY AUCTION* C70 DBR1 *COMPLETED*.

Guy
That’s helpful, thank you. I presume the Forum is licensed, under UK law, to host an auction. At a later date I will take the opportunity, as AVO did, to auction a watch here. Congratulations on raising a decent sum, again helpful for me to decide what to offer on behalf of my charity.
Richard

angusbon
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by angusbon »

FloridaPhil wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:23 pm I sometimes regret selling my French GP version, but the books had to be balanced. This was a superb lineup.

C70 on blue strap.jpg
That's one I always admired from your CW collection
These users thanked the author angusbon for the post:
FloridaPhil
Laird
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 66

Post by Laird »

The GP Series got me started on CWL - I have all bar the Monaco - which frankly doesnt count - and a couple of dupes of the Ascari & DBR1 - tempted to bid on last weeks AM100 on EBaY, but it ran away ! I'd also like the Blue version of the Ad Astra ... but currently I'm full !

My last acquistion is actually an S70, never offered publically ...
CW C70 F1 Racing COSC.jpg
These users thanked the author Laird for the post:
Richard D
|C70s|C7 BB, IRR, BRG, RC, Hornet, Valjoux|C3 GT|C4 Phoenix|C40 SpeedHawk|C5 BoB, Aviator|C8 Pilots*3, UTC & AD|C60 316L Y, O, B, GMT, DD Valjoux|C65 316LE,Classic LE, DT LE, 2VEV|C1 WT|C9 Pulse, JH2, AMGT, SSH21|C11 HRDC & Makaira|
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

@Laird ^^^^^ beautiful, a watch that I’ve never seen before. Thank you for sharing.
Richard