Any known plans for a "true" GMT ?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Superthrust
Senior
Senior

Re: Any known plans for a "true" GMT ?

Post by Superthrust »

It does seem kind of funny that the once essential 'swiss made only' mantra is now detrimental as the basic movements fall behind more advanced designs from miyota.

Pretty sure LJP will release the 9075 as a 'magic swiss made' version for brands like CW that have painted themselves into a corner, albeit for a bit of a markup over the 9075.
Internaut
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by Internaut »

Very unlikely unless their movement maker comes up with something. There was a simple rule with GMT. You could pick any of Office, Huge or Rolex. That has changed with the new Citizen movement, but a watch with that movement would not be Swiss (obvs).
Beat up vintage Swatch Irony, C5 Malvern (the original), Swiss Military Swiss Soldier Quartz, Seagull 1963, Swatch Blurang Automatic, Swatch Cafe de Flore, Sealander GMT, Trident Pro 600, Fitbit Charge 5. Festina 8810, Addiesdive AD2113 knock off.
Ducs4rs
Junior
Junior

Post by Ducs4rs »

Is the complication in a traveler's GMT a lot more complicated than that of an office GMT? I know how the crown positions work, but I'm just wondering if the action inside the watch is very different from an engineering standpoint.
Jkpa
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Jkpa »

I’d be very happy with a Miyota movement as opposed to another Selitta SW200 with some module built onto it.
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

I believe that CW does not use SW200 for its GMT watches, but the Sellita equivalent of the ETA 2893.
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

asqwerth wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:51 pm I believe that CW does not use SW200 for its GMT watches, but the Sellita equivalent of the ETA 2893.
SW330-2 has been in use since the introduction of the Sealander. I don’t think Sellita does a traveller’s GMT movement.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:55 pm
asqwerth wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:51 pm I believe that CW does not use SW200 for its GMT watches, but the Sellita equivalent of the ETA 2893.
SW330-2 has been in use since the introduction of the Sealander. I don’t think Sellita does a traveller’s GMT movement.
They don't. And from the comments made a little while ago in an extended interview from Sellita it doesn't sound like they are interested in doing it. The person in the interview was of the opinion that a quick set date is more useful (you lose a quick set date with a flyer unless you add external pushers).

I tend more to this line of thinking especially if the watch in question isn't a daily and isn't in the top tier in terms of accuracy. I feel that both of these would limit the usefulness of the jumping hour.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Internaut
Senior
Senior

Post by Internaut »

rkovars wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:58 pm
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:55 pm
They don't. And from the comments made a little while ago in an extended interview from Sellita it doesn't sound like they are interested in doing it. The person in the interview was of the opinion that a quick set date is more useful (you lose a quick set date with a flyer unless you add external pushers).

I tend more to this line of thinking especially if the watch in question isn't a daily and isn't in the top tier in terms of accuracy. I feel that both of these would limit the usefulness of the jumping hour.
That’s another reason why I’m not too fussed over traveller vs caller. That said, the Traska GMT watch, with the Miyota movement, looks lovely.
Beat up vintage Swatch Irony, C5 Malvern (the original), Swiss Military Swiss Soldier Quartz, Seagull 1963, Swatch Blurang Automatic, Swatch Cafe de Flore, Sealander GMT, Trident Pro 600, Fitbit Charge 5. Festina 8810, Addiesdive AD2113 knock off.
Internaut
Senior
Senior

Post by Internaut »

Jkpa wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:15 pm I’d be very happy with a Miyota movement as opposed to another Selitta SW200 with some module built onto it.
Watches are coming onto the market with this movement. You won’t see it in a CW since, at pointy end of watchmaking, CW is fundamentally Swiss. That means either making the movement themselves, or buying from one of a limited pool of movement makers (always Sellita when not employing the SH21).
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

Just a point of clarification, since my post was quoted a few times: this post of mine was simply in reply to the post above mine (jkpa), which talked about not wanting yet another CW GMT watch using SW200 movement with a module.

I was pointing out that CW's GMTs did not use SW200. They used to use ETA 2893 GMTs until ETA was no longer available, then continued with the Sellita equivalent (SW300).

I wasn't getting into the actual meat of the discussion in this thread.
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
Blackdog
Senior
Senior

Post by Blackdog »

asqwerth wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:49 pm I was pointing out that CW's GMTs did not use SW200. They used to use ETA 2893 GMTs until ETA was no longer available, then continued with the Sellita equivalent (SW300).
Indeed, the ETA2893/Sellita SW330 are native "caller" GMT movements. Simple drop-in solutions that have been used for a long time by small manufacturer's in their GMTs.

But in the 90s, early 00's, Omega's GMT Seamasters were "flyer" GMTs based on the ETA 2892 three-hander.

Today's Longines ZULU Time's L844 movement is based on the A31 ETA (which in turn is the evolution of the 2892) three hander, likely using a similar module/mod like that used by Omega back in the day.

So such an implementation (at least on a SW300) does not need to be engineered from scratch. But if Sellita are not interested in doing it, maybe CW cannot justify the effort or find it appealing enough to do it themselves.