The Golf Topic

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: The Golf Topic

Post by Mikkei4 »

The Shotscope X5 I ordered on 22 March arrived on 11th April as promised by Shotscope.

This is a new release from Shotscope that owners of the V3 were offered at £100 less than the RRP of £279 so for me that was a good opportunity to move onto a golf GPS & Tracker watch with colour screens and more functions at a reduced price.

So yesterday (12th) I started the set up on the X5 and thought it had successfully completed the basic set up to use it just as a watch as I intended configuring the club tags later when I knew the watch was performing the basics OK. However something was wrong as I couldn't get the screens to change so I raised a fault case with Shotscope.

I was keeping @stefs updated with my progress with the X5 as he had also ordered it and after a couple of PM exchanges today I decided not to wait for the Shotscope Support response and looked deeper into the problem. I won't bother with the details here but I did get it sorted and it's now performing the basics without issue, which is good as I had already sold my V3 using this Forum's SC. (Hopefully that is working well for the new owner?)

So if anybody has ordered the X5 and wants any help with the set up feel free to ask me.

I'll be adding the tags to my clubs and setting them up on the watch tomorrow in readiness for my round on Saturday and will report on how it performs in its real task.
Danbailey007
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by Danbailey007 »

^^ I've not had the chance to use it yet! Glad to hear you got your X5 sorted though, I look forward to hearing how you get on with it.
These users thanked the author Danbailey007 for the post:
Mikkei4
Dan

Citizen Eco-Drive
Elliot Brown Tyneham
Multiple Fossil
CW C60 Bronze
Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra
Omega Seamaster 300M No Time To Die
Omega x Swatch MoonSwatch - Moon & Venus & Mars
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

The weather finally cooperated with the course conditions so I managed to get my golf season started this week.

Over the winter I picked a new club that I never thought I would buy. While visiting a PGA store I was checking out the putters and picked up a chipper by mistake. I decide to test it out, and to my surprise, I was really liking the reactions I was getting. Result= purchase.

I haven't had time to get to the range for any practice so it was an interesting start to the first round on Tuesday. I hit some really good shots and an equal amount of bad ones. The inconsistency was not unexpected but it was great to get finally out. I did manage some pre round practice with the chipper and it will take some getting use to, but I like it.

The second round was quite a bit better with some range work before the round and additional practice with the chipper. The weather was unusually warm for April, but was quite pleasant. Still inconsistent, but tried the chipper out from different shots and distances to get a better feel of when I might use it and learned a lot. I tried it in green side rough, a bunker and from off the green on approach from as much as 40 yards. I am thing that about 30 yards might be the limit for me here.

The one thing I noticed through out the first two rounds was that my distances had increased by a club. Not sure what I am doing better as I haven't been working on any changes. This was a pleasant surprise. We shall see if it continues. Now for more range work to regain some consistency in the swing. As for the chipper, more work needed here as well to better judge distances.

On to next week!
These users thanked the author Kip for the post:
magicman
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

Kip wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:28 am Over the winter I picked a new club that I never thought I would buy. While visiting a PGA store I was checking out the putters and picked up a chipper by mistake. I decide to test it out, and to my surprise, I was really liking the reactions I was getting. Result= purchase.
Hi Kip

I too, bought a chipper, not by mistake though.
I found it very useful, but I went overboard with my wedges, last year, so I no longer have room in the bag for it, I miss it sometimes, as the ease of use, just off the greens was impressive. I might put it back in the bag for tomorrow's round, just got to decide, what would make way for it.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

First round this week for me too. I was able to get to the range the day before for a few shots but essentially went out cold. 6 bogies and 3 pars with one penalty for hitting it in a hazard. All told pretty satisfied. I found that I wasn't able to shape the ball as much as I like (I'll need more practice time to straighten that out) but I hit the ball straight off the tee (even the hazard shot went straight but it was supposed to fade a bit). Pretty satisfied with my putting too with only 1 three putt. Let the season begin! :thumbup:
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
magicman
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

My golf is never great during the winter months so, as I was hoping, my play has improved recently in direct relation to the improving course and weather conditions plus a few adjustments to grip and swing path.

Resulting from the 2 Stableford rounds on the last 2 Saturdays (1 x 1 shot over handicap and yesterday 6 shots under handicap) my WHS HI is now lower by 1.2 shots.

Hopefully the arrival of a new driver in the next 2-3 weeks will aid further reductions in my HI. Also I'm considering a fitting and purchase of a premier brand putter with a putting lesson or two with the new putter, but this will be expensive so not a definite yet.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

Further to the final sentence in my post above re. a new putter from premier brands (Scotty Cameron, Evnroll, Seemore etc) has anybody had any experience of a putter fitting session, what technology was it with (SAM, Quintic etc), what putters did you try and maybe buy, was it worth the money for the fitting and putter.

Or did you simply buy an expensive putter purely by feel and sight and how has it worked out for you?
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

Mikkei4 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:41 pm Further to the final sentence in my post above re. a new putter from premier brands (Scotty Cameron, Evnroll, Seemore etc) has anybody had any experience of a putter fitting session, what technology was it with (SAM, Quintic etc), what putters did you try and maybe buy, was it worth the money for the fitting and putter.

Or did you simply buy an expensive putter purely by feel and sight and how has it worked out for you?
I don't think it qualifies as a fitting, but I visited American golf, after a few putts with a range of styles at all price points, It was suggested that i was best suited to a face balanced putter, after that I just tried around 3 or 4 of their stock face balanced putters on the putting mat,
I settled on the Scotty Cameron Special select mallet style, I loved the weight, feel and build quality, I didn't like the ones packed full of technology.
I think it will pretty much last as long as I do, although I may get a fat grip fitted at some point.

All the best with your search.

Regards Steve
These users thanked the author magicman for the post:
Mikkei4
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

Following a fantastic trip to the Belfry, with some shocking golf played by myself.
I finally put a descent round together today.
After a shaky start I managed to bag 29 points on holes 8 to 18. Highlight was a 240yd 3 wood out of the soggy rough into the back of the green on the final par 5.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

magicman wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:02 pm Following a fantastic trip to the Belfry, with some shocking golf played by myself.
After a shaky start I managed to bag 29 points on holes 8 to 18. Highlight was a 240yd 3 wood out of the soggy rough into the back of the green on the final par 5.

Regards Steve
Hi Steve,
Thanks for the comments about the putter.
Did you get to play The Oxfordshire after The Belfry?
I see you're still hitting it long with the distance on that 3 wood!
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

Mikkei4 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:15 pm
magicman wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:02 pm Following a fantastic trip to the Belfry, with some shocking golf played by myself.

Regards Steve
Hi Steve,
Thanks for the comments about the putter.
Did you get to play The Oxfordshire after The Belfry?
I see you're still hitting it long with the distance on that 3 wood!
Hi Mick

We didn't play the Oxfordshire, I could just about walk. The PGA at the Belfry, which we played on Sunday was pretty soggy, so I couldn't face another round on Monday.
So I think we will arrange an overnighter there in early October.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Danbailey007
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Danbailey007 »

Finally got to try out the X3 I picked up from Mick recently, nice and easy to use and only had to edit a few holes as it didn't pick up some duff shots.

Overall, watch good, golf needs improving :lol:
Dan

Citizen Eco-Drive
Elliot Brown Tyneham
Multiple Fossil
CW C60 Bronze
Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra
Omega Seamaster 300M No Time To Die
Omega x Swatch MoonSwatch - Moon & Venus & Mars
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

Danbailey007 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:00 pm Finally got to try out the X3 I picked up from Mick recently, nice and easy to use and only had to edit a few holes as it didn't pick up some duff shots.

Overall, watch good, golf needs improving :lol:
Well done Dan, thanks for posting.

Glad it's working for you.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:49 pm ^^^ Very nice indeed, Paul. The facilities are excellent. You are right about the valley course. Much tighter fairways, quite a bit of water and a couple of very interesting par 3 holes from extremely elevated tees that you had to climb a steep path to reach. If you don’t hit the green you are either in the **** or the drink! :lol:

The hill is much more forgiving, and I actually played a few holes without leaving the fairway! :shock:
I've been skimming back through the Golf Topic while watching L'Pool vs Spurs and seen the above.

6 of us are off to Barnham Broom mid-July for 2 nights/3 rounds - Did you ever join or played it recently?
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

It was a beautiful morning for 9 holes. I shot a 6-over 41. My tee shot on the 300yd par 4 9th hole landed about 10 yards short of the green, I chipped it to within a foot, and tapped in for a (rare for me) birdie!

7B828CEF-F1CE-4CCF-ACFD-7A15458E96A8.jpeg
783A838B-9BF8-41C8-BC24-96605876E04E.jpeg
These users thanked the author ajax87 for the post (total 2):
sproughtonBobMunro
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925