Which brand did you "upgrade" to after Christopher Ward?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Re: Which brand did you "upgrade" to after Christopher Ward?

Post by asqwerth »

I got interested in mechanical watches after purchasing the C5A Mk2 in 2010. It was not about upgrading -- though I have acquired some pricier watches since -- but collecting. And I had to consider what watches were suitable for a woman with slim wrists (and were within my budget).

Let me tell you, the market at that time was flooded with big watches: 42mm and way beyond. Plus many microbrands seemed to focus on the tough-guy, tactical/stealth look. Bleh.

Ladies watches? Pink or diamond studded. Double bleh.

So it was not about brands, but what suitable watches caught my eye.

Having said that, I became a fan of Nomos. Every model at that time was a good size for me, was excellently-made, attractive (except the Ludwig model, which is meh) and could be purchased at reasonable prices. My 2 Nomos watches are very accurate. Nomos still make excellent watches, but they are more expensive now. They have also expanded into making bigger watches.

I am also a fan of men's vintage watches because they are a great size (female vintage is too tiny) and I just generally like how they look. In particular I really like vintage Longines and Omega. Good movements, lots of interesting models. I have 3 vintage Longines and 4 vintage Omegas.

I'm happy with my collection as it is. At this point, I just want to enjoy what I have instead of hankering after more or something new. However, I think the phrase "never say never" is always applicable. :)
These users thanked the author asqwerth for the post (total 2):
ThegreymanTonywalker
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
KMW
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Post by KMW »

I first came across CW due to the owners, at the time, link to the city of Liverpool. At that point I had a few automatic watches, but lower value ones from Seiko and Elliot Brown........however once I had my first CW I fell in love with them - especially the Mk2 C60's. I also, admittedly, became very involved in the community surrounding the brand, both on here and on social media. At one point I owned around 25 CW watches, but must have owned around 35 over the last 5 years or so.

My first big 'non CW' purchase was a Breitling Avenger GMT. I tried a lot of different watches on before buying that one, but wanted something 'next level' and that watch fit the bill perfectly at the time. It didn't stop me buying/refining my CW collection though - and as CW brought out some watches at a similar price point to the Breitling I very much got involved, and my Concept remains one of my most worn watches now.

However, over the past 12 months I've massively reduced my CW collection both in sales and part exchanges/swaps, and as of this morning am down to 7 CW's with more to leave. However, I have a Zenith, Omega, Tudor, Longines and a couple of other brands in their place. Why? The time was right for me to consolidate the collection and I appreciate I'm in a fortunate position to be able to do so. That's nothing against CW, and I always think I'll own at least one or two watches from a brand I once loved, but it's not the company I fell for anymore and felt I should diversify somewhat.

It's all a journey, and a most enjoyable one at that. Who knows, one day I may turn around, sell them all, and buy an Apple Watch. Nah, not really :lol:
These users thanked the author KMW for the post (total 2):
Bahnstormer_vRSTonywalker
C60 Concept/Black Elite 1000/C60 Mk 2 Black
C7 Rapide/C8 P2725/C11 Makaira Elite
And a couple on order................
jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jimbo »

I bought a limited Bremont after some CW watches, but the Bremont is not one to wear in the sea and knocking about in every days physical chores, My wife was kind enough to buy me a CW bronze trident after the Bremont, and although I have always hankered for a Planet Ocean, am really happy with the Bronze CW.
I was daft enough to wear it in some hot springs with loads of sulphur, and it turned black in minutes, it was fun cleaning it back to bright bronze, and my son claimed it looks better looking old. i love the way in changes colour over the weeks and months. a cheaper rubber strap for the sea side makes it for me maybe my favourite watch, or is it my Orange Monster?
Who knows what a step up is? What is important you like the watch!
These users thanked the author jimbo for the post:
Tonywalker
Remember...your left hand has the thumb on the right hand side
Lawrence
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 20

Post by Lawrence »

Omega
These users thanked the author Lawrence for the post:
Chris375
Omega Speedmaster, Bulova Accutron Gemini, Tudor Black Bay Heritage Maroon & Black, C65 Trident Bronze SH21 LE, C65 Trident Black, C65 Trident Diver SH21, C65 Trident Ombre LE, Longines HydroConquest beautiful AF and better than C60 300
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

I purchased a Rolex GMT Master 1675 in 1991 and wore that as my only watch for about 25 years. I had a Tag Heuer Professional before that. I came to CW in 2019 or so. So my journey has been anything but linear. I am pretty much if I like it I buy it type of person. I happen to like a lot of what CW puts out. If I didn't I wouldn't be here.
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post (total 2):
TonywalkerDilbert
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

I'd owned Oris and Omega before I arrived at CW.
These users thanked the author atnits for the post:
Dilbert
Tonywalker
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 26

Post by Tonywalker »

KMW wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:25 am I first came across CW due to the owners, at the time, link to the city of Liverpool. At that point I had a few automatic watches, but lower value ones from Seiko and Elliot Brown........however once I had my first CW I fell in love with them - especially the Mk2 C60's. I also, admittedly, became very involved in the community surrounding the brand, both on here and on social media. At one point I owned around 25 CW watches, but must have owned around 35 over the last 5 years or so.

My first big 'non CW' purchase was a Breitling Avenger GMT. I tried a lot of different watches on before buying that one, but wanted something 'next level' and that watch fit the bill perfectly at the time. It didn't stop me buying/refining my CW collection though - and as CW brought out some watches at a similar price point to the Breitling I very much got involved, and my Concept remains one of my most worn watches now.

However, over the past 12 months I've massively reduced my CW collection both in sales and part exchanges/swaps, and as of this morning am down to 7 CW's with more to leave. However, I have a Zenith, Omega, Tudor, Longines and a couple of other brands in their place. Why? The time was right for me to consolidate the collection and I appreciate I'm in a fortunate position to be able to do so. That's nothing against CW, and I always think I'll own at least one or two watches from a brand I once loved, but it's not the company I fell for anymore and felt I should diversify somewhat.

It's all a journey, and a most enjoyable one at that. Who knows, one day I may turn around, sell them all, and buy an Apple Watch. Nah, not really :lol:
As long as you have a nice display cabinet in your office to display your collection in👍😁
CW watch count - enough to keep me very happy, but always room for more!
AlexS.
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 2

Post by AlexS. »

Got my C60 Mk2 as first one. Then a few other CWs, all of whom I sold apart from C65 Trident Mk1 Limited (the matt blue one with orange seconds hand).

In the meantime got a few Rolexes, an Omega Speedmaster a Panerai Luminor and again, after 6 or so years, a C63 GMT Hunter green. ;)
C65 Trident Classic Mk1 Limited #167
Panerai Luminor 00914
Rolex Explorer 2 216570 BD
Rolex GMT Master II 126711 CHNR
JLC Reverso Tribute Small Seconds Q397846J
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

IIRC I started with Timex and Smiths (I have worn a watch since the age of about 12). Then Seiko. And after Maurice Lacroix I went to JLC. All downhill after that with CW, Rolex, Omega, Tudor, GS, and others in no particular order, before buying a Moser in 2016.

After that further random purchases from those named above, including CW. Just buy what you like…

I have recently and still buy CW.

Just don’t expect a step up from random brands that folk often mention as the brands just above CW. In my view buy CW or save your money for something that you have tried on, that you can objectively judge as better overall value wise than CW.

I have tried on many brands over the years (I.e. not just read about them on the internet) and CW are the only brand that I would spend money on at less than £2k (on the basis that I couldn’t buy JLC, Moser, GS, Rolex, Omega, Tudor at that level).

Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post (total 2):
Dilbertmagicman
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
ralfybaby
Senior
Senior

Post by ralfybaby »

Had and still have a collection of russian/soviet era watches but lost interest after a number of years. I have a fairly substantial although admittedly more broad than deep collection of those.
Collected a couple of high end Rolex replicas from China but lost interest in that too.
Got a used Speedy from the late 19090s when those still could be had for reasonable prices but repair and maintenance is a bit of a rabbit hole.
Lusted after a Zenith A386 El Primero from the early 1970s when those could still be had for $7k but thought that was WAAYYYYY too high at the time. Those are now offered for Rolex Daytona money. If only ...
The more recent A386 reiterations that Zenith brought out don't quite do it for me. And are close to $10k for which I would rather buy a brand new motorcycle.
May consider a new or new-ish Moonwatch from the more recent batch.
but overall I second @nowttolose
"Got bored of all of the hype and expense of the traditionally popular watch brands, and prefer less hype"
Hicksmat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by Hicksmat »

Sinn then omega
Ducs4rs
Junior
Junior

Post by Ducs4rs »

nbg wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:54 pm IIRC I started with Timex and Smiths (I have worn a watch since the age of about 12). Then Seiko. And after Maurice Lacroix I went to JLC. All downhill after that with CW, Rolex, Omega, Tudor, GS, and others in no particular order, before buying a Moser in 2016.

After that further random purchases from those named above, including CW. Just buy what you like…

I have recently and still buy CW.

Just don’t expect a step up from random brands that folk often mention as the brands just above CW. In my view buy CW or save your money for something that you have tried on, that you can objectively judge as better overall value wise than CW.

I have tried on many brands over the years (I.e. not just read about them on the internet) and CW are the only brand that I would spend money on at less than £2k (on the basis that I couldn’t buy JLC, Moser, GS, Rolex, Omega, Tudor at that level).

Neil
Thanks! I think this is pretty valuable insight considering your experience across the gamut of low/mid/high-end brands.
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

Hi I've had a couple of Omegas, various Tudors and Tag Monaco, since finding CW.
I currently only have the Tudor Pelagos 39 remaining of my upgrade watches.
All the above were fine watches, but the VFM. Has pretty much put me off any further upgrades.
If and when my name ever gets to the top of the waitlist for Rolex, I will interested to see if the that changes my views (again).
If I've got some money burning a hole in my pocket, then I would probably give them a try, I've heard good things.

Regards Steve
These users thanked the author magicman for the post:
JasperCat
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Ducs4rs
Junior
Junior

Post by Ducs4rs »

magicman wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:48 pm Hi I've had a couple of Omegas, various Tudors and Tag Monaco, since finding CW.
I currently only have the Tudor Pelagos 39 remaining of my upgrade watches.
All the above were fine watches, but the VFM. Has pretty much put me off any further upgrades.
If and when my name ever gets to the top of the waitlist for Rolex, I will interested to see if the that changes my views (again).
If I've got some money burning a hole in my pocket, then I would probably give them a try, I've heard good things.

Regards Steve
What's VFM?

Also, what made you finally decide on the Pelagos 39? I have the blue BB 58 vs. Pelagos 39 debate going on in my head right now, and I'm torn. Leaning toward the 58 though as it might be more versatile for all occasions. What do you think?
These users thanked the author Ducs4rs for the post:
magicman
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

Ducs4rs wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:43 am What's VFM?

Value for money
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
magicman
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.