The red crown warning can be seen slightly when the crown is closed

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
galwpsite

Re: The red crown warning can be seen slightly when the crown is closed

Post by galwpsite »

This is the official response I got from customer service:
“The red crown warning can be seen slightly when the crown is closed. We are aware of this, and it is not a fault in terms of the watch construction.”
So yeah the red suppose to be a warning, meaning it was designed with purpose in mind and not for the looks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author galwpsite for the post (total 2):
missFtikkathree
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

galwpsite wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:20 am This is the official response I got from customer service:
“The red crown warning can be seen slightly when the crown is closed. We are aware of this, and it is not a fault in terms of the watch construction.”
So yeah the red suppose to be a warning, meaning it was designed with purpose in mind and not for the looks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I kinda like the hint of red showing.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
Lawrence
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 20

Post by Lawrence »

Ignorance is bliss. I was unaware that the red tube was some kind of safety device. I thought it was simply a design embellishment matching the bezel.

I still like it though, shown or hidden.
These users thanked the author Lawrence for the post (total 2):
golfjunkytikkathree
Omega Speedmaster, Bulova Accutron Gemini, Tudor Black Bay Heritage Maroon & Black, C65 Trident Bronze SH21 LE, C65 Trident Black, C65 Trident Diver SH21, C65 Trident Ombre LE, Longines HydroConquest beautiful AF and better than C60 300
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

It is in reality more just a design embellishment!

Totally different to the crown on the old JLC Master Compressor series. That was functional and it was obvious if the crown was unscrewed…

White for alright, red for dead!

Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post:
tikkathree
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Apparently, for some unknown reason, CW has suddenly been receiving an inordinate amount of requests for returns over a non fault on the C65 Aquitaine's. This is about the the "Dry Marshal" red crown indicator.

There has been no recent mention of this on the forum other than this topic.

I would like to reiterate that that this is not a fault on the watch, but rather a feature to let you know if the crown is unscrewed.

As stated in Loupe 25, from the article introducing the C65 Aquitaine...
There are further fresh details too, including a new crown lock indicator called the ‘Dry Marshal’. Basically, Aquitaine’s crown reveals a band of bright red when it’s not fully screwed down – a simple but effective warning message. The original C65s lacked a screw-down crown, and although it was eventually added, the Dry Marshal adds further security.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

galwpsite wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:38 am It’s just bothers me because the purpose of the red is warn the wearer that the crown is not fully closed, it’s a cool feature that can be seen in many omegas for example. But if you see the red warning even the crown is fully closed, it just doesn’t make sense and that’s what bothers me.

Just to clarify, it’s not a huge deal, it just that one thing, that slightly annoy me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You don't think it's there by way of a little flash of colour? To see it there is to remind you that it's there and if you can see the entire stem you know summat's up and you need to act. Relax a bit, enjoy your watch. :thumbup:
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post:
Rezn8r
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
nathanclarinet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by nathanclarinet »

So how do you know that the crown is fully closed? Is there a measurement / guidance for the amount of red that can be seen when it is fully closed? 1-2mm? Seems at bit wacko to me....
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

If you can't screw it any tighter (finger tight!), it's closed. It's more of a guideline I think. Pirate's code, you know :D
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
tikkathree
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

^^^ Go by feel. Use the red as a reminder to check it, if you feel the need. Remember, even without the threaded crowns the handwound C65 watch cases had 15 bar water resistance.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

nathanclarinet wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:41 pm So how do you know that the crown is fully closed? Is there a measurement / guidance for the amount of red that can be seen when it is fully closed? 1-2mm? Seems at bit wacko to me....
I'm sorry but is this your first experience with a mechanical watch? if you can't relax with this little design feature you might want to consider returning the watch?
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
Greatpotfarm
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 0

Post by Greatpotfarm »

Funny that I would like it if it were meant as just a splash of decorative color, but now that I know it dysfunctionally serves a purpose, I just can't unsee it as such...

A very simple fix would be to paint the visible part of the tube green... Splash of color and peace of mind!
Top of the minute to you all,
Dan
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

I understand it both ways. If it's purpose is to let you know the crown is unscrewed, then red shouldn't be visible at all if it's fully screwed in. It still seems like a non-issue because it's barely visible screwed in, and much more prominent unscrewed. It seems like it serves its purpose just fine.

It seems like a silly thing to return a watch over.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
nathanclarinet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by nathanclarinet »

tikkathree wrote:
nathanclarinet wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:41 pm So how do you know that the crown is fully closed? Is there a measurement / guidance for the amount of red that can be seen when it is fully closed? 1-2mm? Seems at bit wacko to me....
I'm sorry but is this your first experience with a mechanical watch? if you can't relax with this little design feature you might want to consider returning the watch?
I have a few mechanicals Image and I don't own one of the watches in question. I was simply passing comment on something I thought was a bit nuts. I shall now step back into my box.Image

Sent from my REA-NX9 using Tapatalk

rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

ajax87 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:02 pm I understand it both ways. If it's purpose is to let you know the crown is unscrewed, then red shouldn't be visible at all if it's fully screwed in. It still seems like a non-issue because it's barely visible screwed in, and much more prominent unscrewed. It seems like it serves its purpose just fine.

It seems like a silly thing to return a watch over.
This is where I land too. While it isn't a technical flaw I would say it was a design error akin to misaligned text on the dial. The crown should have been about a half a thread deeper or the tube half a thread shorter.

I could see someone who isn't too knowledgeable about watches reading CWs blurb and then getting the watch and think the crown isn't seating all the way. I would say this is probably the minority though. The majority are probably just the detail obsessed nerds like ourselves. :lol:
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post (total 2):
ajax87Greatpotfarm
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

rkovars wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:26 pm The majority are probably just the detail obsessed nerds like ourselves. :lol:
The fact that this thread is nearing 2 full pages for such a minor detail supports your statement :lol:
These users thanked the author ajax87 for the post (total 4):
rkovarstikkathreeGreatpotfarmFat And Furious
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925