Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Blackdog
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Any known plans for a "true" GMT ?

Post by Blackdog »

I keep wondering...

With everyone and their grandmother offering “traveller/true” GMTs these days….

Are there any rumors about CW considering the idea of moving past the ubiquitous SW330 ?

Sellia are not doing it, but CW have done mods on the basic SW200 before. The Bel Canto being a notorious and recent example.

With the wide range of GMTs they offer between C60s, C65s, Sealanders, a modded SW200 “traveller/true” GMT would make sense, would it not ?
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: Any known plans for a "true" GMT ?

Post by rkovars »

I'm not certain you can mod a movement to become a true GMT. I believe it has to be designed in. That being said, if the new SH21-2 doesn't have the capability (which I doubt but it certainly isn't out of the cards - I think the priority will be slimming down the movement) then it won't be coming any time soon.

It certainly seems like Sellita doesn't have any desire to do one and CW won't go to Asian movement makers.

The Bel Canto isn't so much a mod as a module on top of the SW200 to add functionality. That is a different animal.

I get that 'true' GMTs are really hot right now but I also feel that the function is a little overhyped. Unless you have the accuracy of an HAQ then hacking and resetting the time really isn't that big of a deal. The 'true' GMT can also be a pain if you don't have external pushers or wear it as a daily so you don't have to set it.

I wore my GMT Master 1675 for years as my only watch for travel and everything else. Not once in 20 or more years did I not have time during a flight to reset the time. I usually did it right after take off.
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post (total 2):
TonywalkerThunder1
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

I asked Mike France about this last year. His answer was "hmmm... that's difficult". Mido did it with the Ocean Star GMT based on a powermatic 80, Alpina seem to have done it too but they do seem rare at, or about, the typical CW price point. It would be nice if Selitta did it and maybe CW had a one year exclusive deal. Oh well, I can dream.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I don’t see it happening any time soon – go on, Mike, prove me wrong.

There was an interesting thread on the differences quite recently.

I own both types and I’ve travelled with both. I honestly don’t think it makes a huge difference, because I almost always fly to a different time zone (UK+2), stay there for two weeks, then go home. It’s marginally easier with the Traveller’s GMT (Ulysse Nardin), but I’m quite able to reset the C63 in about a minute while I’m drinking coffee in departures!
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Blackdog
Senior
Senior

Post by Blackdog »

Is not really about the need… As soon as I change country my phone gives me local and home time simultaneously without doing anything on my part.
It’s about desirability and convenience.

Resetting a 1675 is pretty much like resetting any non-GMT watch, as the hour hands are permanently locked to each other. Resetting a 2893/SW330 based watch is a bit more inconvenient if you intend to keep the 24H hand at home time without using the bezel.
But in any case, I agree there’s a bit of true GMTs being in-fashion at the moment.

I read Alpina has done it on a SW200, Mido/Hamilton/Certina are using a version of the ETA C07, which for these purposes is just like a 2824. Longines is using a version of the ETA A31 (which is the evolution of the 2892), so I guess is like what Omega did with the caliber 1128 some years ago for their GMTs. I remember seeing that it is an added bridge on the top plate with the GMT complication.

Agree, it’s not really a mod but more like an added module, but likely not a tremendously complicated one.
Projectd10
Junior
Junior

Post by Projectd10 »

albionphoto wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:05 am I asked Mike France about this last year. His answer was "hmmm... that's difficult".
I recall Mike France saying in an interview that he would like to have a GMT movement created.
Blackdog
Senior
Senior

Post by Blackdog »

In any case, I have found the Treveller GMT functionality rather convenient when you have long trips with connections in intermediate time zones. It is good to be able to quickly reset the local time to make sure you're in time to board your next flight. I'm thinking something like Amsterdam-Kuala Lumpur-Jakarta-Sorong.... Not so far-fetched if you like diving...
Amor Vincit Omnia

@Blackdog Agreed, it really comes into its own if you are travelling across multiple time zones, especially going back-and-forth. Most of my trips are “fly’n’flop”, so it doesn’t make much of a difference. :D
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
Paul Drawmer
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
alansmithee

Post by alansmithee »

albionphoto wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:05 am Mido did it with the Ocean Star GMT based on a Powermatic 80
There is one in all of the Swatch brands at that price point beside the mido - a Certina, Hamilton and various Tissot. The 'true' GMT Tissots often turn up in TK Maxx for just over £300!
Paul Drawmer
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Post by Paul Drawmer »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:19 am .....“fly’n’flop”...
I'm nicking that expression!
There's always time for one more.
Amor Vincit Omnia

@Paul Drawmer I don’t have copyright on that one, Paul. Google “fly and flop” and you will see that it is common coin.
Steve

Henryj
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Post by Henryj »

I do enough cross time zone traveling that a GMT is nice to have. As others have mentioned, when you’re flying across time zones you have time on the plane to reset either style. That said, the biggest advantage I see with “true” GMT vs caller is being able easily adjust the hour hand back and forth between daylight savings and standard time.
The gods may note every sparrow that falls, but they make no effort to catch them.
Blackdog
Senior
Senior

Post by Blackdog »

@Henryj That's a very good point.

Actually, it would be very useful to have a branch of three-handers with the jumping hour functionality as standard. I have a Seamaster 300 that does exactly that.

Useful for daylight savings changes and also as a traveller's watch. Not everyone needs to read several time zones off the watch, but the convenience for setting the time quickly without stopping timekeeping would be useful.
These users thanked the author Blackdog for the post (total 3):
markeerc51ownerjterran
jterran

Post by jterran »

I would love a jumping hour option on any watch, like the Omega 8900 movement (and I'm sure other watches about which I'm not aware) but this is a bit too much to ask!

I tend to travel with my Casio T200. I like seeing the hour jump when I land, driven by satellite.
Blackdog
Senior
Senior

Post by Blackdog »

jterran wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:26 pm I tend to travel with my Casio T200. I like seeing the hour jump when I land, driven by satellite.
...and just like that, you put this whole argument into context ! :clap: :thumbup:
These users thanked the author Blackdog for the post:
jterran