Discuss Christopher Ward watches
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: Why all the negativity towards CW?

Post by rkovars »

nbg wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:07 pm
rkovars wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:31 pm ^^^ At the most. Maybe even 1 or 2. Hairsprings in particular. Not many have the facilities and equipment to manufacture those things.
Rich that was the number that I had in mind. I rounded up to six. :)

One is easier to guess than the other. I believe we both own that one, albeit yours dates from a time, when that wasn’t the case.

I think I may also know the one that makes the hairsprings.

Neil
Does simply buying the guy that made them for you before really count? :lol:
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
nbg
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Legore
CW-watches: 0

Post by Legore »

Some people in the watch community seem to HAAATE CW. I was on the fence between Sinn 104 and the C60 300, but I said that I think the C60 300 is a better buy than the Sinn 104 (especially with how much Sinn costs now in 2023) people lost their ****. This one guy on watchuseek threw a hissyfit and called me a troll because I was "insulting a forum favorite comparing it to a controversial brand with no heritage" - he literally said that Lol. Things like that make me not want to be a watch guy.

I think deep down they know that CW offers unbeatable value and objectively you're getting the same finishing quality of watches that costs thousands more and they don't want to see their precious heritage brands look bad so they try to cheapen CW by saying it's like San Martin.

What finally made me decide CW over Sinn was when I saw people say that the Sinn 104 bracelet is trash and the finishing quality is so bad the hands look super rough and this one guy said he had skin flakes on his dial and he posted pics too. So the Sinn 104 has all these issues, costs almost twice the price and doesn't have a ceramic bezel even. So really the only reason to buy it is "heritage". People try to clown on CW styling, but I think the watches look great.
These users thanked the author Legore for the post:
Tonywalker
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

It’s amazing what people will write on the Internet from behind the barricade of a keyboard. It’s also amazing what people will believe.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
Dilbert
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Legore

Post by Legore »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:55 pm It’s amazing what people will write on the Internet from behind the barricade of a keyboard. It’s also amazing what people will believe.
Yeah even now people in my watchuseek thread are trash talking CW like "the only problem with CW is all their watches are ugly, but buy what you like bro!"

These guys are absolute clowns

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/fina ... t-56488431
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

Always a hater somewhere. Just remember those opinions are just that, opinions. And worth exactly what you paid for it. Carry on CW.
These users thanked the author watchaholic for the post:
Legore
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

You have to take the rough with the smooth. You have to accept that some people won't like the brand and not all of those will be ignorant of the brand, or it's history. It's just how it is. I am a fan of Bremont and long ago accepted that there are many who don't and won't like them for a variety of reasons. Senior members of this forum have expressed such views about Bremont and have stated the reason why. In the same way you have to accept that others will have some negative views about CW.

And some of the criticisms mentioned on the linked thread have been played out here over the years and aren't entrirely unfair. The logo saga being the obvious one.

Thanks for the feedback about the manufacturing story. My comment wasn't really very accurate, it was getting late here. I never expected CW to fully manufacture the watches themselves, I know that doesn't happen, but I did assume the Swiss partner did more than just assemble everything. For whatever reason, I thought the much trumpeted light catcher case, was an item that CW had invested in. It's very good, I have one. So in that respect, I am more informed.
'Tis me
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

I forced myself to scan through the 5 pages that were present when posted originally and it was the usual mix of fans, indifference, those not keen and a few token idiots.

It felt largely positive though. There are 13 pages now and I refuse to subject myself to them in case the idiots have frustratingly taken over.
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

There are always those trolls who will make disparaging remarks just for perverse pleasure of a reaction. What empty lives they must be enduring.
These users thanked the author watchaholic for the post:
Dilbert
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
Legore

Post by Legore »

The fact that CW is able to get such a strong reaction from "purists" show that they really are shaking up the industry and I love it. I saw the same thing happen years ago in my audiophile hobby when NWAVGUY released the o2odac which is a headphone amp+dac that costs a few hundred bucks and competes with gear that costs thousands. Literally the same type of guys on the headfi forum were losing their minds!

It's awesome because if CW wasn't good nobody would care, but the fact that it gets this strong a reaction from both fans and haters shows that their watches are legit.
These users thanked the author Legore for the post (total 3):
watchaholicrkovarsDilbert
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

Legore wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:50 pm The fact that CW is able to get such a strong reaction from "purists" show that they really are shaking up the industry and I love it. I saw the same thing happen years ago in my audiophile hobby when NWAVGUY released the o2odac which is a headphone amp+dac that costs a few hundred bucks and competes with gear that costs thousands. Literally the same type of guys on the headfi forum were losing their minds!

It's awesome because if CW wasn't good nobody would care, but the fact that it gets this strong a reaction from both fans and haters shows that their watches are legit.
I hadn't thought about it that way but you are right. No reaction at all is far worse.
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
Legore
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Legore

Post by Legore »

Yeah. And considering Sinn JUST raised their prices again overnight and the Sinn 104 is 1890$ now, the CW is a clear winner in my book. To hell with the heritage homies.
These users thanked the author Legore for the post:
Dilbert
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Legore wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:21 pm What finally made me decide CW over Sinn was when I saw people say that the Sinn 104 bracelet is trash and the finishing quality is so bad the hands look super rough and this one guy said he had skin flakes on his dial and he posted pics too.
Out of interest, have you handled one or seen one close up? I'm not condoning people laying into you on WUS (I don't go there, so can't comment) and I haven't handled a Sinn either, so can't comment on that, but there are people on here who own them and seem pretty pleased with them.

I do think it's very easy to get monomaniacal and blinkered on these "interest" forums, whether it be watches, headphones or anything else.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
triffidman
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by triffidman »

What basically appears to happen on this forum is a very unbalanced view of things. If you must believe all the good things you hear about something, then you also must accept the bad too. There are far more 'fanboys' than there are 'haters' on most forums, so there's nothing to be afraid of, but to create a balanced discussion you can't just dismiss the bits you don't agree with (i.e. the bad).

Like these restaurant owners who always argue against the bad reviews, but strangely never argue with the good ones. In reality, they don't want to hear your opinion, unless it's good.

Over the years I had many brilliant experiences with Christopher Ward (up to around 2015), but unfortunately almost as many bad ones (post 2015). I vote with my wallet nowadays.
These users thanked the author triffidman for the post:
FloridaPhil
C60 GMT (SOKKO)
C40 Chronograph

Laco Helsinki
Tissot T Touch Expert

Casio G-Shock Frogman
Casio G-Shock GPW-1000
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

triffidman wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:40 pm What basically appears to happen on this forum is a very unbalanced view of things. If you must believe all the good things you hear about something, then you also must accept the bad too. There are far more 'fanboys' than there are 'haters' on most forums, so there's nothing to be afraid of, but to create a balanced discussion you can't just dismiss the bits you don't agree with (i.e. the bad).

Like these restaurant owners who always argue against the bad reviews, but strangely never argue with the good ones. In reality, they don't want to hear your opinion, unless it's good.

Over the years I had many brilliant experiences with Christopher Ward (up to around 2015), but unfortunately almost as many bad ones (post 2015). I vote with my wallet nowadays.
Amen brother
These users thanked the author golfjunky for the post:
FloridaPhil
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
Emphasis
Senior
Senior

Post by Emphasis »

triffidman wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:40 pm What basically appears to happen on this forum is a very unbalanced view of things. If you must believe all the good things you hear about something, then you also must accept the bad too. There are far more 'fanboys' than there are 'haters' on most forums, so there's nothing to be afraid of, but to create a balanced discussion you can't just dismiss the bits you don't agree with (i.e. the bad).

I'm curious, what were your bad experiences?

One of my own biggest criticisms is product longevity and parts availability long-term. Although Christopher Ward seems to have taken steps towards improving in that regard. It's still a relatively young brand, and overall I do like the direction CW is heading.