Formex Essence Space Rock

A place to discuss other watch-brands
biggus_richus
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Formex Essence Space Rock

Post by biggus_richus »

I've wanted a meteorite dialled watch for about as long as I've known that they're a thing. There's something pleasing to my eye about the Widmanstätten triangular patterning that occurs. Plenty of microbrands use meteorite as a material but the problem has been finding one I like; frequently the meteorite gets covered with coloured PVD which entirely defeats the object.

Enter Formex. I've also long admired the Essence line, so when they released the limited Space Rock edition late last year I jumped on the 39mm steel version.
A2188D85-7CEE-4AE3-9E9A-5D31BF6EBAB4.jpeg
It turned out to be a swing and a miss for me. Make no mistake, the case and bracelet are magnificent, beautifully finished and superbly engineered. But the dial was underwhelming, with little patterning to speak of. There was a vaguely interesting 'A' marking around the pinion and the striations in the dial changed pleasingly in the light, but the dial, case and bracelet were too homogeneous and lacked contrast. With sadness, the watch was returned.

As luck would have it, although the 41mm Leggera Space Rock had sold out, I received a tip off on availability and managed to secure one. This time initial impressions with regards to the dial and case were reversed.
71E860BC-C4E7-464A-B39A-7194015172F8.jpeg
What a dial! Triangles all over the place, so many that it looks like one of those social media count the triangles brainteasers. And it definitely benefits from a contrasting black bezel to frame it. But the case lacked any heft and many of the shiny facets (bezel aside) of the steel version. I'm glad to say that my initial impression of the case has softened considerably. The watch is supremely comfortable. I don't know how much of that is down to weight (less than 60g on the strap) and how much is down to the case suspension (count me in the slightly gimmicky camp). The carbon fibre clasp is pretty special too, with a built in micro-adjust, although it lets itself out a stop every time I open and close the clasp, so it frequently requires readjusting.
DD201EDF-89C8-4045-B193-A1CEEBDD3A17.jpeg
D6AC32E1-D9BE-4F52-9E6C-E4263DCFD900.jpeg
Overall, I'm dead pleased with this one. I do however still miss the case and dial from the Essence 39 so am not ruling out a further purchase!
These users thanked the author biggus_richus for the post (total 2):
JAFOStif
Rich.

Breitling | CW | Farer | Formex | Garmin | Marloe | Ming | Omega | Oris | Seiko | Studio Underd0g | Tag Heuer | Timex
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Formex Essence Space Rock

Post by JAFO »

Interesting comparison. Maybe the difference is that the second watch has diagonal lines rather than orthogonal. I wonder if rotating the first dial through 45degrees would have improved it for you.
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
biggus_richus
biggus_richus
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by biggus_richus »

JAFO wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:42 pm Interesting comparison. Maybe the difference is that the second watch has diagonal lines rather than orthogonal. I wonder if rotating the first dial through 45degrees would have improved it for you.
I did spend a bit of time wondering whether or how much dial orientation mattered but only concluded that it worked best if one of the striations was aligned horizontally to aid legibility. I'd like to think that during manufacture it was someone's job to ensure that the dials were aligned in the most aesthetic way possible, but have no idea whether that was the reality.

I've also wondered whether I would have been happy if the first watch had featured the dial from the second, although it's irrelevant as I'm happy where I've ended up.
Rich.

Breitling | CW | Farer | Formex | Garmin | Marloe | Ming | Omega | Oris | Seiko | Studio Underd0g | Tag Heuer | Timex
Maraeburn
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by Maraeburn »

I wonder if the black one was mine - I ordered it and returned it as by the time it arrived I had spent the funds on something else, I have to say I didn't notice that amount of detailing on the dial so perhaps it wasn't.

Enjoy!
These users thanked the author Maraeburn for the post:
biggus_richus
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

Yep, I love the one you’ve ended with. I agree about the triangles - much more visual interest on the dial. I also think the black case means better contrast to show the dial off. I’ve never given it much thought before - but how cool is it to have a sliver of a meteorite in your watch! Enjoy :D
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
biggus_richus
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

Seems to me it's the luck of the draw whether or not you get a meteorite dial with markings that you are happy with.
These users thanked the author asqwerth for the post:
biggus_richus
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
biggus_richus
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by biggus_richus »

Maraeburn wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:08 pm I wonder if the black one was mine - I ordered it and returned it as by the time it arrived I had spent the funds on something else, I have to say I didn't notice that amount of detailing on the dial so perhaps it wasn't.
Very probably not unless yours came from WatchGecko!
asqwerth wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:05 am Seems to me it's the luck of the draw whether or not you get a meteorite dial with markings that you are happy with.
Very much so, although on balance (and this is from my own unscientific observations on social media) the Leggera seems to have nicer dials than the Essence 39.
Rich.

JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

It's somewhat similar to the scratched ombre dials CW have I think.
Some of those look delicately done and others are more strongly patterned.
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
biggus_richus
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

I’ve read similar thoughts on Zelos and how some meteorite dials look better than others. I did try one of there’s once but like all my Zelos watches it didn’t stay long, I felt the meteorite dial was a little underwhelming when I actually saw it up close.
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
biggus_richus
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
biggus_richus
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by biggus_richus »

If this watch has one problem, it’s that it’s the antithesis of a strap monster. Trying something a bit lighter though.
10D856E5-F428-4A39-B038-5A1D20928136.jpeg
These users thanked the author biggus_richus for the post:
missF
Rich.

angusbon
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by angusbon »

Looks banging Rich.
Personally I think Formex are on to big things and have a great future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author angusbon for the post:
biggus_richus
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

I guess that's what happens with a 'piece unique' as meteorite dials are.

I have an Essence 39 "degrade dial' and it's a fantastic watch, the most comfortable I own however it is achieved. Formex are indeed going places in my opinion.

But pleased you got a result you are happy with, even if it was via the long way. Perhaps not a strap monster with carbon/meteorite, but maybe it's a matter of looking 'outside the square'. Something from Delugs? They can also do curved spring bars.
These users thanked the author Noush for the post:
biggus_richus
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Lavaine »

biggus_richus wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:14 pm If this watch has one problem, it’s that it’s the antithesis of a strap monster. Trying something a bit lighter though.
I actually think the sailcloth is a vast improvement over the leather.
These users thanked the author Lavaine for the post:
biggus_richus
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.