American paying in GBP then getting refunded

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
ScofieldReturns
Senior
Senior

American paying in GBP then getting refunded

Post by ScofieldReturns »

Hello all,

Last month I ordered one of the new LE 36mm sealanders. This ordering was accidental as I was trying to see the price difference if I ordered in GBP as opposed to USD. Long story short (and to no one's belief!) I accidentally just ordered the watch while clicking through paypal to check the price. I figured oh well, I'll just leave it as I probably want it anyway and can always cancel. Well I did finally decide I wanted to cancel it yesterday. CW was great and refunded me promptly. The issue is they refunded me in GBP (the proper amount) but due to paypal's conversion rates fluctuation I didn't get back my full USD refund. I actually got back $53 less, which is a decent chunk. Is there anything I can do, or do I just chalk this up to the cost of reserving the piece?
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: American paying in GBP then getting refunded

Post by rkovars »

Unfortunately you have fallen victim to exchange rates and foreign currencies. Always try to cancel as soon as possible as the currencies fluctuate. Pro Tip: All you have to enter is the shipping address to see the price without VAT.

Alternatively, if you take the GBP listed RRP and subtract 1/6th you should be close to the price-VAT.

Price W/O VAT = GBP-GBP/6
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post (total 2):
ScofieldReturnsStif
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

You could contact your credit card issuer and explain that it’s a refund for a cancelled order. It’s more likely to down to the exchange rate differentials banks use for buy & sell rates than a movement in the exchange rate as such, so may have some flexibility. Worth asking.
These users thanked the author 0uatiOW for the post:
ScofieldReturns
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

I don’t think you have any recourse, as the difference is due to fluctuating exchange rates. CW refunded you exactly what they charged you. PayPal is crediting you that amount at the current exchange rate.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 3):
ScofieldReturnsJasperCatStif
Drew
ScofieldReturns
Senior
Senior

Update: paypal gave me a courtesy $30 voucher. I'll try contacting my CC as well once the refund is processed. Thanks for the suggestions! Btw, not end of the world if I get nothing else, but $54 is a solid chunk
These users thanked the author ScofieldReturns for the post:
rkovars
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

ScofieldReturns wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:11 am Update: paypal gave me a courtesy $30 voucher. I'll try contacting my CC as well once the refund is processed. Thanks for the suggestions! Btw, not end of the world if I get nothing else, but $54 is a solid chunk
Wow! That’s pretty outstanding customer service from PapPal!
Drew
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

ScofieldReturns wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:11 am Update: paypal gave me a courtesy $30 voucher. I'll try contacting my CC as well once the refund is processed. Thanks for the suggestions! Btw, not end of the world if I get nothing else, but $54 is a solid chunk
And that’s why ForEx is a market unto itself.
These users thanked the author thomcat00 for the post:
Stif
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

Definitely an example of if you don't ask! I am very surprised that PayPal gave you anything back but good on you for asking and good on them for making an attempt at making the situation right. Good result.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
ScofieldReturns
Senior
Senior

Update 2: Talked with my bank, they put in the request for the price adjustment as well as returning my international service fee from the transaction.
These users thanked the author ScofieldReturns for the post (total 3):
jkbarnesajax87MiniMpi
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

ScofieldReturns wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:12 pm Update 2: Talked with my bank, they put in the request for the price adjustment as well as returning my international service fee from the transaction.
Wow! That’s fantastic. Bully for you for making inquiries about this. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Drew
MichaelMD
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by MichaelMD »

When I returned my last purchase I actually got MORE back than what I paid. Sometimes it can work in your favor.
These users thanked the author MichaelMD for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesrkovars
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

MichaelMD wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:53 pm When I returned my last purchase I actually got MORE back than what I paid. Sometimes it can work in your favor.
That’s where @ScofieldReturns’s missing money went! :lol:
Drew
ScofieldReturns
Senior
Senior

jkbarnes wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:15 pm
MichaelMD wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:53 pm When I returned my last purchase I actually got MORE back than what I paid. Sometimes it can work in your favor.
That’s where @ScofieldReturns’s missing money went! :lol:
I hope @MichaelMD enjoys lunch on me :lol:
These users thanked the author ScofieldReturns for the post:
jkbarnes