Bracelet fit and getting it right?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
bulldog2022

Bracelet fit and getting it right?

Post by bulldog2022 »

I posted something that alluded to this the other day I’ve pretty much worn straps on watches for as long as I’ve been into them. I’ve tried bracelets but never been successful. What the key to a good fit? My watches always drop down my arm to my hand not much of a wrist bone. When they are loose around hand the crown digs in and movement is limited. If I go a bit tighter I always end up with Marks on my skin. Am I doing something wrong here? Lol I even have the on the fly microadjustment.
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Re: Bracelet fit and getting it right?

Post by Jcalder68 »

“On-The-Fly” is definitely the way to go.
I rarely wear any of my watches on a metal bracelet but, on the rare occasions that I do, I tend to follow the rule that if the watch is light in weight I wear it low on the wrist and loose; if the watch is heavier then I wear it higher on my wrist and tighter.
Most current CW watches (to the best of my knowledge) now come with on-the-fly adjustment as well as half-link options for the bracelet. I do have bracelets for some of my CW watches and have adjusted their lengths so that my average wrist circumference has the on-the-fly adjustment set in the middle of its overall range. This way, I have a good 4mm to 5mm of adjustment either way depending on activity, temperature etc…
Next, wear your watch for several hours before messing with overall bracelet length. It is amazing how a bit of sweat under the bracelet and watch head can get a “loose” fitting watch to feel more sticky and secured than it might feel when you first try it on.
One last hint - I also try to adjust either side of the bracelet so that the clasp sits symmetrically on the underside of my wrist. This really, really helps with overall comfort and to balance the weight of the watch head.
Hope this helps and keep well,
C
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
bulldog2022

Post by bulldog2022 »

Thank you for the detailed reply. I love the look of Watch bracelet so will persist with it for a while yet.
These users thanked the author bulldog2022 for the post:
Jcalder68
bulldog2022

Post by bulldog2022 »

Thank you for the detailed reply. I love the look of Watch bracelet so will persist with it for a while yet.
These users thanked the author bulldog2022 for the post:
Jcalder68
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

@bulldog2022

Ensuring that the clasp (or more specifically the blade of the clasp) centred on the underside of the wrist is key to a comfortable fit.

These are examples of bracelets that are adjusted (for me), with the correct balance of links between the 6 and 12 sides.
899B398D-6BBE-42C2-A425-16E2A4E89B2B.jpeg
With the CW the link on the 6 side closest to the clasp doesn’t articulate. This means that effectively there are 4 links on the 6 side and 5 on the 12 to the point where it reaches the end of the blade.

With the Omega there are 5 on the 6 side that articulate and 5 and a half on the 12.

I.e. both have the 12 side as slightly longer, as regards links that articulate beyond the clasp/blade.

Both of these bracelets have micro adjustment, however because the bracelets sit in position on the wrist, neither too tight, nor too loose, the watches don’t move around and I rarely need to use the micro quick adjustment.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I have come to the conclusion over the years that my wrist probably doesn’t swell and shrink as much as some. My Ulysse Nardin bracelet has no adjustment apart from adding extra links or taking them away, but it never seems to be a problem. My Speedmaster bracelet has one adjustment on the clasp, which I have used occasionally, but you need a tool to remove the spring bar.

My C63 bracelet is normally set to a position in the middle of the ratchet, and I rarely adjust it. Fully closed it feels really tight and fully open it is what I call jangly-bangly. I like to wear them slightly loose. Humidity bothers me more than heat does, and I suspect that I would open the bracelet a notch in really hot and humid conditions.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

I’ve been persevering with bracelets for a little while, but it’s far less expensive to explore straps! I’m in a similar place to you OP in that my wrist bone doesn’t do a lot to hold a bracelet in place so sometimes I feel like I have to wear a bracelet just a bit too tight for my liking. But Neil has given you better advice than I ever could so keep persevering :D
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

I find i like to wear my bracelets slightly on the loose side. I also wear them on my right wrist so don’t suffer the crown digging into the hand issue. I find with a heavier watch I like to wear it tighter so it doesn’t move around, but micro adjustment is then essential then so I can adjust to suit throughout the day.

However there are some people who just prefer a watch on a strap. Maybe you’re one of them.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
David. S
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by David. S »

If a bracelet has half links and micro adjust on the clasp you should be able to get a good fit.
And remember a half link is actually a bit bigger than half..so two half links are slightly bigger than a full link.

David.
bulldog2022

Post by bulldog2022 »

Do any of you get inprints on your skin from the bracelet?
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

I just checked- yes, I have a slight imprint, but the watch is comfy and not sliding down my wrist. :thumbup:
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

bulldog2022 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:34 pm Do any of you get inprints on your skin from the bracelet?
Sometimes, which usually leads to me adjusting the microadjuster
Drew
Yoobaldy
Junior
Junior

Post by Yoobaldy »

Sometimes, which usually leads to me adjusting the microadjuster
I do this, but at the same time I also entertain the thought about how lonely my watch is as it misses my wrist by leaving a lasting impression whilst I am asleep.
Last edited by Amor Vincit Omnia on Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected quote tags
My wife thinks I have a watch problem. I'm a glass half-full guy, I think of it as a healthy interest in horology ;)

C60 Trident Pro 300
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Most bracelets and straps leave a mark if worn too tight. I don’t often get them, and if I do they disappear in a few minutes.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
bulldog2022

Post by bulldog2022 »

I’m thinking maybe I’m just not a bracelet person. Had it on leather today wouldn’t have known I had the Watch on. I like milenease too so maybe it’s just the weight of the bracelets.