Collection Building

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Re: Collection Building

Post by nbg »

jbm90 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:11 pm Slightly different question, do people have certain types of watches that make up their collection? Or just 1 certain type?
You will receive many different answers to this question. However in my view they will all be completely irrelevant to YOU.

There are no correct or incorrect answers. I imagine that many of us came to the hobby randomly.

Like a watch. Buy it.
Decide you “need” another watch for variety. Buy it.
Ah two watches aren’t enough. Buy another one.
You discover another style of watch you hadn’t considered. Perhaps you have been happily swimming whilst wearing one of your watches with 100m WR. Now you read that you “need” a dive watch for swimming. Buy one (although very few people actually need a dive watch!).
Oh I don’t have a dress watch. Yes I know I will only wear it 6 times a year, but I need one. Buy it.
Oh look a chronograph. Most seem to have one. Buy it.

Or many other variations of the above. Bit do you really want all these different types of watch? Only you can decide.

Many people have multiple watches from their favourite brand(s). They may all be of a broadly similar style. Add in a few other watches from a limited number of other brands, selecting different types of watch. Now that may well be my approach to collecting. Job done! :) However completely irrelevant to YOU.

Just go with the flow. Buy what you like. Set your own limits. Be prepared to change. Ignore what others say about what a collection should consist of.

The only views of others that are relevant are those that come with the benefit of ownership or handling a watch. Even then that is only about that particular watch, not whether it is right for you.

Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post (total 3):
missFBahnstormer_vRSrkovars
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

nbg wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:00 pm
jbm90 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:11 pm Slightly different question, do people have certain types of watches that make up their collection? Or just 1 certain type?
You will receive many different answers to this question. However in my view they will all be completely irrelevant to YOU.

There are no correct or incorrect answers. I imagine that many of us came to the hobby randomly.

Like a watch. Buy it.
Decide you “need” another watch for variety. Buy it.
Ah two watches aren’t enough. Buy another one.
You discover another style of watch you hadn’t considered. Perhaps you have been happily swimming whilst wearing one of your watches with 100m WR. Now you read that you “need” a dive watch for swimming. Buy one (although very few people actually need a dive watch!).
Oh I don’t have a dress watch. Yes I know I will only wear it 6 times a year, but I need one. Buy it.
Oh look a chronograph. Most seem to have one. Buy it.

Or many other variations of the above. Bit do you really want all these different types of watch? Only you can decide.

Many people have multiple watches from their favourite brand(s). They may all be of a broadly similar style. Add in a few other watches from a limited number of other brands, selecting different types of watch. Now that may well be my approach to collecting. Job done! :) However completely irrelevant to YOU.

Just go with the flow. Buy what you like. Set your own limits. Be prepared to change. Ignore what others say about what a collection should consist of.

The only views of others that are relevant are those that come with the benefit of ownership or handling a watch. Even then that is only about that particular watch, not whether it is right for you.

Neil

Good rationale, Neil. My last watch was a hankering for a moonphase. I have no real hankerings now.

except, this Montblanc was on ebay a couple of weeks ago. It sold, but reappeared as the sale fell through. It may have my name on it?!
I see other trinkets that are equally desirable from time to time. The black zenith shown below as well. for instance. Looks like a decent alternative to the Chronomaster. but it's 44mm. Why so big? I need to win the lottery, really.
mbsnip.PNG
zenithsnip.PNG
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

^^^^ @nbg - a brilliant summation of this collecting malarkey, Neil and a great adjunct to 'Downer's Rules'. :grin: :grin:

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England