Re: Mike France on ABTW Superlative podcast now available

Post by thomcat00 »

Thanks for the share.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
billbochnak
CW-watches: 3

Post by billbochnak »

I acknowledge as a fan of CW I may not be as subjective as an average person, but Mike France is accessible, does a great job on numerous media venues spreading the "Ward" and always appreciates the feedback and support from groups like this and other CW enthusiasts outlets, as a busy CEO, we are lucky and I am proud to be such a big fan of both Mike & CW.
These users thanked the author billbochnak for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesViognier
Hicksmat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by Hicksmat »

I finally got around to listening to the podcast, and I must say Mike comes across brilliantly in terms of his knowledge of the watch industry, his enthusiasm of watches, and how he wants to develop the market for the brand.

2 things of note:

1) many of the CW buyer demographics come from an IT/Technical background.

2) he values this forum immensely and how it’s contributed to the success of CW. This forum and its users were cited heavily in the second half of the podcast and you can see they value everyone highly and consider them/us the real owners of the brand (where’s our % Mike?).

Have a listen if you can.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

Avian demographics, curiosity and breaking down the fourth wall. This was so interesting.
These users thanked the author missF for the post (total 2):
Hicksmatalbionphoto
Hicksmat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Hicksmat »

I’m a big fan of those who challenge the norms. I see CW as industry disrupters and there’s nothing wrong with that.
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

I like the categorisation of customer groups into birds. I'm not a cuckoo or a peacock. Is there a "pain in the bum" bird?
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

albionphoto wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:25 pm Is there a "pain in the bum" bird?
Pigeon? Full of **** and splatters it everywhere?

CF102698-5FE3-40BB-8F8A-D27F76BF7B5D.jpeg

My car is red these days but I had a grey one and I had just washed it when avian bomber command struck.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
albionphoto
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

Just got done with this one. Very interesting discussion. I wish they could have gone on a bit longer. Hopefully he will be back again soon.

The precision they have in defining their customer demographics is pretty unreal. It certainly seems that they have a hold on who that have as customers and who they want as customers in the short and long term.

The discussion got me thinking about how our taste in watches is largely defined (maybe largely is not the right word but disproportionally) by when we got into watches. Someone who got into watches in 2010 is going to have different taste to someone like myself who got into them in the mid 80s. I find that I gravitate to the same style and esthetic of watches that I was drawn to then. Having to cater to all these different tastes is not an easy thing to do. Of course there are exceptions to every rule and these groups are not perfect circles as it were. They more resemble clouds with bits jutting out every which way. But if I like a watch today there is probably an element to it that reminds of something I saw back at the beginning if I think hard enough.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

rkovars wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:07 pm Just got done with this one. Very interesting discussion. I wish they could have gone on a bit longer. Hopefully he will be back again soon.

The precision they have in defining their customer demographics is pretty unreal. It certainly seems that they have a hold on who that have as customers and who they want as customers in the short and long term.
Targeting customer types is far more common than you might think, especially if you sell niche products like watches. It's also common in politics, remember "Mondeo Man"? If you have a good idea of who your customers are and who you might want to attract in the future you can build your marketing and advertising (and even products) to target that group and so less of that spend is wasted.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Just popping the direct link to ABlogtoWatch in here;-. https://www.ablogtowatch.com/superlativ ... pher-ward/

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

albionphoto wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:38 pm
rkovars wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:07 pm Just got done with this one. Very interesting discussion. I wish they could have gone on a bit longer. Hopefully he will be back again soon.

Targeting customer types is far more common than you might think, especially if you sell niche products like watches. It's also common in politics, remember "Mondeo Man"? If you have a good idea of who your customers are and who you might want to attract in the future you can build your marketing and advertising (and even products) to target that group and so less of that spend is wasted.
Ah Mondeo Man - a blast from the past. A perfectly legitimate form of targeting.

Seems a bit quaint looking back. Someone told me that a more up to date method to target is to…

Harvest data and push out subliminal targeting to those that think Facepalm is the best place to obtain news and accurate information! :silent:

Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post:
albionphoto
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

I’m really charmed by the avian demographics. Obviously I’m less than charmed that my whole life and endeavour really adds up to being a billion rolling data points for marketing men to utilise to sell me stuff....
But if I have to be nothing more than a billion rolling data points I’m happy for that collection of data points to be defined as a bird. Ish.

If it had been a type of car they’d have lost me forever :lol:
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

nbg wrote:
. . . . . . . .

Seems a bit quaint looking back. Someone told me that a more up to date method to target is to…

Harvest data and push out subliminal targeting to those that think Facepalm is the best place to obtain news and accurate information! :silent:

Neil
I frequent Facepalm as a member of a few private / closed groups and to follow a handful of specific watch and music contributors. It is rare that I post anything on my own timeline.

Nevertheless, Facepalm seems to have ramped up their advertising effort recently with, it seems, every third or fourth post I scroll through being for something completely irrelevant to what I am interested in (even allowing for cross population from cookies of websites that I have visited).

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Gar787
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

Post by Gar787 »

Hicksmat wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:05 pm I finally got around to listening to the podcast, and I must say Mike comes across brilliantly in terms of his knowledge of the watch industry, his enthusiasm of watches, and how he wants to develop the market for the brand.

2 things of note:

1) many of the CW buyer demographics come from an IT/Technical background.

2) he values this forum immensely and how it’s contributed to the success of CW. This forum and its users were cited heavily in the second half of the podcast and you can see they value everyone highly and consider them/us the real owners of the brand (where’s our % Mike?).

Have a listen if you can.
And he’s a rabid Evertonian…🤣🤣🤣
PHIL