Time to retire from the game?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Time to retire from the game?

Post by nbg »

Over the years I have posted many times in the “what watch are you dreaming of?” thread.

On a few occasions the watches were pie in the sky, but the majority of times they were watches that I could have bought, either by sinking more money into the game, or selling existing watches. However…

I really like my better watches, acquired over a long period of time. The majority at prices that to me seemed far more reasonable and justifiable than current pricing.

Well if a few have increased by 50%-100% it should be easy enough to sell two, three or four and buy something costing far more? The trophy watch, the grail, the end game. Well for me it is proving to be anything but easy.

Over the years I have handled and tried on watches from the following brands (a list compiled from memory and a few phone pics, therefore likely to have forgotten a few).

Alphabetical order and covering a wide range of price points:

ALS
Andreas Strehler
Audemars Piguet
Blancpain
Breguet
Breitling
Bremont
Bulgari
Carl Suchy
Cartier
Chopard
Christopher Ward
CWC
Czapek
Damasko
Dornblüth
Fears
Garrick
Girard Perregaux
GO
Grand Seiko
Heuer
IWC
JLC
Longines
Lonville
Maurice Lacroix
Moser
Ming
Minase
Moritz Grossmann
Newmark
Nomos
Omega
Oris
Panerai
Parmigiani
Patek
Piaget
Pinion
Schwartz Etienne
Seiko
Sinn
Smiths
Squale
Tag
Tissot
Tudor
Vacheron Constantin
Vertex
Zenith
Zero West

For many I have tried on a selection of models on a few occasions and yet I haven’t managed to stray beyond what I consider to be my favourite half dozen brands.

With the high end stuff I have reached the conclusion that the watches are not really for me. I just don’t get the price to quality aspect and I have no interest in buying something just because of what it is.

Further down I look and think that whilst I like many of the watches, I don’t like them enough to displace my favourites from regular wear.

Yes I have watches from more than a dozen brands, but tend to only wear my favourite brands at least 95% of the time. There are a few within the list of those tried on that still nag away at me. However I have reached the conclusion that I won’t buy a new to me brand that costs more than the proceeds from selling a preowned Rolex. Thinking of buying something more costly makes me feel a bit queasy.

I am happy with my favourite six brands and think now is a good time to retire from the game. After all if I really, really liked any of the other brands I would have bought one by now. :)

A mainstream, non exotic five, plus the “watchmakers watchmaker” to make six.

A sample of one from each brand makes me think that I am not really missing out, by not straying further.
FEC8BE0C-7DD9-421E-B186-C73061663BCD.jpeg
Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post (total 6):
tikkathreekiter65Greatpotfarmthomcat00welshladWis
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Time to retire from the game?

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^ Thou mayest indeed cry “Done!” and none will call thee Fool.

I’ve had similar thoughts for a long time now. I’m just happy with what I have.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
nbg
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Neil,

Since we bumped into each other at The CW Showroom I've watched your watch photos with closer interest to see how you got on with the BC and noticed what a great collection you have.

Not a surprise then if you decide enough is enough.
These users thanked the author Mikkei4 for the post:
nbg
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

I’m coming round to this way of thinking myself but I’m not there yet. I’m aiming for 5-6 and calling it a day. I already have 3, possibly 4 of those slots taken with my IWC, El Primero and my JLC safe and I think the Bremont will be staying.

I’ve got two to go to finalise the line up, one CW level watch and one higher one. I’ve currently got a Speedmaster and a Sealander GMT in those spaces but I’m not sure either will stay just yet. I’ve the FLE due which may well fill the CW slot but I’ve some decisions still to make with my last watch.
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
nbg
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Mikkei4 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:25 pm Neil,

Since we bumped into each other at The CW Showroom I've watched your watch photos with closer interest to see how you got on with the BC and noticed what a great collection you have.

Not a surprise then if you decide enough is enough.
Mick to a certain extent the BC has firmed up my views of the need to stop chasing. I realise that it’s a watch that as far as wanting to own one, divides opinion.

Although it isn’t my normal style of watch I have ended up liking it far more than I thought I would. It has put out of my mind thoughts of going for a watch with a number of complications, as the BC is, to me, just so cool.

Going forward I see myself buying the occasional CW, whilst selling some of the older ones.

Timing is everything, there is no doubt I have been fortunate in buying some of the watches I have, when I did. I think that the current escalation in pricing amongst many brands is causing many to rethink their collecting habits.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
timeonourhands
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 6

Post by timeonourhands »

Absolutely awesome watches!
Congratulations on reaching the position of satisfaction.
These users thanked the author timeonourhands for the post:
nbg
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

nbg wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:12 pm .... I think that the current escalation in pricing amongst many brands is causing many to rethink their collecting habits.

Neil
Thanks for the reply Neil.

Your final sentence is definitely spot on for many people including me.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

Neil, the reason I have always respected your thoughts on all sorts of watch matters is that they all come backed up with so much knowledge and so much trying on and so much experience. It’s not so much that I want to copy your choice of watches as I want to copy the breadth of your interests. Your list of brands you’ve tried over the years is going to help me explore further. Cheers! :D
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
nbg
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

I reckon we are on the same page, Neil - give or take. I've been wearing a few of my "better" watches recently, and I'm pretty sure I have everything I need, and a few I could live without.
Richard
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

With CW having moved to smaller dials and nothing elsewhere that I’m overly excited about, I might just happily settle with what I’ve got.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

I enjoy vicariously others’ journeys through watches, as I pursue my own. For me it has to be vicarious and removed for my own lack of access. Online ordering is a boon because of my location. Nearby ADs virtually don’t exist, nor do I make much of an effort to try on watches when opportunities present. Honestly it’s the same for me and cars. I like them, but at a distance. And I don’t have the enthusiasm for test drives. And like my cars, I tend to hold on to my watches. So I read about them, discuss them, but buy slowly and get satisfaction from the daily moments with them. There are watches that interest me but none I’d really call a grail. And so I have been one to acquire out of interest but very rarely one to sell out of my accumulated watches. I expect I’ll eventually sell some, not as a means to “level up” but only as a weeding out of one’s that may have fallen out of my interests. CW has captured my attention in ways few other brands have.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I'm not retiring from the fray, but I do have more watches than I really need, and no longer any great inclination to add to the number, although never say never. However few watches stir me to buy now, as I seem to have the bases covered already. I did buy a Moonphase before Christmas. An inexpensive Sugess, rather than the very desirable Moonglow unfortunately. So who knows, but I continue to enjoy my time here and on WUS, and I still watch various YouTubers.
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

I'm there and it's a wonderful place to be.

scooter
These users thanked the author scooter for the post:
Richard D
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

Richard D wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:34 pm With CW having moved to smaller dials and nothing elsewhere that I’m overly excited about, I might just happily settle with what I’ve got.
I’m with you Richard.

I’ve reduced my CW collection down to 6 (5x42mm and 1x43mm). I don’t like the recent CW trend of small dials and as for tweety pie, enough said.

I’m happy with my lot now and don’t envisage adding more to my collection.

I even had the 39mm Sealander GMT but moved it on.

I’ve just checked the rest and apart from Raymond Weil “The Beatles” at 39.5mm, all my others are 41mm-45mm.

The only 45mm is my Bulova Moonwatch.
These users thanked the author TheBeatles for the post:
Richard D
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

scooter wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:24 am I'm there and it's a wonderful place to be.

scooter
My last watch purchase was the C1 Bel Canto Azzurro Blue LE. I haven’t even worn it let alone take it out of the box. I think that says I’m done and it’s certainly a “wonderful place to be”.
These users thanked the author Richard D for the post:
scooter
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’