A wonderful resource

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: A wonderful resource

Post by tikkathree »

Tonywalker wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:03 pm I just wanted to say a huge thank you to whoever originally put together the CW Archive and all those who have contributed to the archives since.

I find it to be an invaluable tool for researching all things CW.

A recent tip I was given was to click on Search model, without entering a search string, and to then click on the Launched Date column header. This provides you with a chronologically sorted list of all CW releases.

I have spent many hours trawling through and finding all my favourites, and viewing the linked picture gallery.

A far better system than scrolling ebay and Google continuously.
And MUCH gentler on the wallet too! :lol: :lol:
Kip wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:58 am The Admin Team is constantly working to improve the CWArchives. We are happy to see that it is being used and we have seen the usage growing constantly since we launched it.

What we would be interested to know, aside from the models section, is how many use the other many areas of the CWA?

The CWA is loaded with CW Publications new and old going back to the first catalog. There is also "Snippets" which are stories of primary interest taken from Loupe and the old CW Magazine, links to outside articles and reviews plus copies of all CW watch manuals. We also have general information areas such as Fun Facts, the Timeline, company firsts, Resale information on CW watches and much more!

What areas have you looked at or is there something that is missing?
I can still get caught out when trying to find material in the archive. <C60 Tide> comes up empty but <C60 #Tide> finds the answer. (It seems likely that I'm going to come unstuck when the case back reference is of no great help).

It's good to know there's an alternative to CWs own website for accessing user manuals. :clap:

I'm resolving to go back through the magazine & loupe archive and back catalogues.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
monkeymax
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by monkeymax »

Yep, I love the archive too!
Biggest reason I use it outside of model search is for the Loupe magazines. In spite of the CW email saying you can download it via their link:
Screenshot 2023-01-27 at 16.01.26.png

Their license to ISSU doesn't allow download:
Screenshot 2023-01-27 at 16.01.40.png
So I get the PDF from the Archive as I tend to read it offline when commuting on the train (internet access is awful). (I think you can create an account on ISSU to download offline in their app, but I don't want to do either of those things - PDF suits me fine)
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

tikkathree wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:26 pm
I can still get caught out when trying to find material in the archive. <C60 Tide> comes up empty but <C60 #Tide> finds the answer. (It seems likely that I'm going to come unstuck when the case back reference is of no great help).

It's good to know there's an alternative to CWs own website for accessing user manuals. :clap:

I'm resolving to go back through the magazine & loupe archive and back catalogues.
I fixed that #tide problem for you. The C60 #tide will come up with C60 #tide, C60 tide or simply tide.

We have added a new search word parameter and are slowly working through it to improve the search ability.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

^^^ Perhaps a good opportunity to mention the "improve the archive" function.

Improve the Archive is designed to capture any comments or suggestions for the archive, so if something doesn't work as you expect, please let us know.
These users thanked the author downer for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesTonywalker
Richard
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

This thread prompted me to look at the archives more closely. I have downloaded all of the loupes and other mags, and I will look at the other headings in due course. I didn't realise these magazines went so far back. I look forward to finding the time to review the thousands of pages of information. :D
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

JAFO wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:23 pm I look forward to finding the time to review the thousands of pages of information. :D
We look forward to your review! :wink:
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
JAFO
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
OffToTheSide
CW-watches: 0

Post by OffToTheSide »

A huge thank you from a new Forum user for the existence of the Archive and all the work put into creating and maintaining it. The Archive was invaluable to me yesterday in sorting through discontinued Titanium CW watch models looking for one that would fit my specific requirements. I went on to order my first new, non-titanium C W watch last evening and have a discontinued titanium CW model in mind that I may add in the future if I can source it.
These users thanked the author OffToTheSide for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS