Fears collaboration

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
bradjhomes
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Re: Fears collaboration

Post by bradjhomes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:^^ It doesn’t sound as though membership means you’ll get one, merely that you’ll be eligible. There could be a feeding frenzy unless I’m reading it incorrectly.
That’s right. It certainly won’t guarantee being able to purchase.

Perhaps that’s a big part of it - the Alliance gets lots more membership and fees on top of the profits from the 50 watches.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

but I do appreciate what Fears is doing
A number of people have expressed this in one form or another. What exactly is it Fears “is doing?” I don’t pose that question as a snarky retort. I’m genuinely curious, as I know nothing about the brand/company. What’s their thing, exactly?
Drew
RichM
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by RichM »

jkbarnes wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:49 pm
A number of people have expressed this in one form or another. What exactly is it Fears “is doing?” I don’t pose that question as a snarky retort. I’m genuinely curious, as I know nothing about the brand/company. What’s their thing, exactly?
I don't like the watch but I have huge respect for Nicholas Bowman-Scargill. During Covid his accountant advised him to let his staff go. He said he was adamant that as a family business he would keep his staff employed on full pay. Nicholas then took a 100% pay cut and the following day started working nights at a supermarket stacking shelves to keep the business going. As he says "Shelf stacker by night, watch company owner by day".

It's a shame the re-born Fears (it was originally his Grandfather's business I think) is out of my price range but I admire what Nicholas has achieved.
These users thanked the author RichM for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesthomcat00
Gripper
Senior
Senior

Post by Gripper »

Link to their history in my home city - https://www.fearswatches.com/pages/heritage
Mark
So I went to buy a watch, and the man in the shop said "Analogue." I said "No, just a watch."
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

Gripper wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:33 pm
Link to their history in my home city - https://www.fearswatches.com/pages/heritage
The Why section of the sites also gives some indication of the ethos behind the business -
https://www.fearswatches.com/blogs/our-values-ethos

Solid watches, with solid values. Just quite costly too!

Might be wrong but I am sure I read something a while ago about a brand not having any faulty returns and I think it might have been Fears as their quality checking is so thorough?
These users thanked the author A1soknownas for the post:
jkbarnes
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

RichM wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:26 pm I don't like the watch but I have huge respect for Nicholas Bowman-Scargill…
Gripper wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:33 pm Link to their history in my home city - https://www.fearswatches.com/pages/heritage
Ahhh. Thanks gentlemen. So is it fair to say it’s the ethos and history behind the company that people appreciate? It’s not something specific to watch design, innovation, or their business model we’re talking about.

I have a huge appreciation for the history that’s been revived and mad respect for what the founder did during Covid! Hats off to him! :clap:

The watch collaboration leaves me a bit cold though.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
RichM
Drew
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

A1soknownas wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:15 pm
Gripper wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:33 pm

The Why section of the sites also gives some indication of the ethos behind the business -
https://www.fearswatches.com/blogs/our-values-ethos

Solid watches, with solid values. Just quite costly too!

Might be wrong but I am sure I read something a while ago about a brand not having any faulty returns and I think it might have been Fears as their quality checking is so thorough?
I think you are right as well as having no watches returned or sold on either. That is what I remember anyway.
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
jkbarnes
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
bradjhomes
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by bradjhomes »

There have been watches sold on by now though. But in the early days this was true.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

I have tried on Fears watches at a couple of events.

They were not at the top of my list of watches that I tried on during those events.

IIRC as well as talking to Nicholas at those events I also saw him when he was still a watchmaker at Rolex.

Great to hear what he did during Covid. I hope the company succeed.

However, my view is a watch that should be judged on its own merits, not by reference to a previous incarnation of the company many years previously. Warm fuzzy feelings about previous history have little relevance to what a company is currently doing.

If Moser made average watches, would folk say “ah but they have been around for since 1828, they are great”, when the current version of the brand only dates to 2005. Ditto Blancpain etc…

The new release? Yep I like the look of it, but would I pay more for it because it says Fears on the dial, than I would if it was a CW release? Absolutely not.

Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post:
Caller
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

I like elements of it but this watch is not one for me.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

nbg wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:50 pm Great to hear what he did during Covid. I hope the company succeed.

However, my view is a watch that should be judged on its own merits, not by reference to a previous incarnation of the company many years previously. Warm fuzzy feelings about previous history have little relevance to what a company is currently doing.

If Moser made average watches, would folk say “ah but they have been around for since 1828, they are great”, when the current version of the brand only dates to 2005. Ditto Blancpain etc…
Good points. Another consideration, especially with relatively expensive luxury items like watches, is that you do actually have to like the product. It’s hardly like choosing between Aldi bananas and Tesco bananas.

Now I do like this:

7B1E49DC-3475-41C3-8D88-FB62A0E291A7.jpeg
Image from Watchpro
But it wouldn’t compete with my Tank. The rest, including the collaboration watch, does little for me.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
AJelley
Senior
Senior

Post by AJelley »

Hmmm… It’s not Not nice, but I don’t think it beats their Jubilee Edition Brunswick… If I had 4k, I’d go hunt down one of those if I really wanted a Fears…

But in the real world, if I had 4k, I’d actually get myself a Moonglow, a Super Compressor, a bronze Aquitaine and a curry 😂
These users thanked the author AJelley for the post (total 4):
ajax87missFgannetjkbarnes
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:43 pm
Good points. Another consideration, especially with relatively expensive luxury items like watches, is that you do actually have to like the product. It’s hardly like choosing between Aldi bananas and Tesco bananas.

Now I do like this:

7B1E49DC-3475-41C3-8D88-FB62A0E291A7.jpeg

But it wouldn’t compete with my Tank. The rest, including the collaboration watch, does little for me.
Agreed on all points. That rectangular model is nice, but it can't beat my real vintage Longines and Gruen rectangles.
These users thanked the author asqwerth for the post:
Amor Vincit Omnia
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I do like that Fears. I just had to find a review, as I didn't understand it. I thought the number at the top was a date, and now I see it's the hour, which I presume only goes up to 12, as the review didn't go past 12.

Anyway, I like the watch, but not £4000 worth of liking.

Maybe it's the colour I like, as it reminds me of the Heritage 57 Speedy in the deep red.

Here's the review, on oracle time, posted yesterday.

https://oracleoftime.com/fears-christop ... ch-review/
bradjhomes
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by bradjhomes »

JAFO wrote:I do like that Fears. I just had to find a review, as I didn't understand it. I thought the number at the top was a date, and now I see it's the hour, which I presume only goes up to 12, as the review didn't go past 12.

Anyway, I like the watch, but not £4000 worth of liking.

Maybe it's the colour I like, as it reminds me of the Heritage 57 Speedy in the deep red.

Here's the review, on oracle time, posted yesterday.

https://oracleoftime.com/fears-christop ... ch-review/
Yes - only goes up to 12. Same as the old CW Jump Hours.

And I’m glad you chose that review to post (which I wrote)
These users thanked the author bradjhomes for the post:
JAFO