The Bel Canto is the final nail in the coffin of the CW rebrand! Critics vindicated?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Re: The Bel Canto is the final nail in the coffin of the CW rebrand! Critics vindicated?

Post by TheBeatles »

Mikkei4 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:52 am
NationOfLaws wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:42 am Oh good, this debate again
:lol: :lol: :thumbup:

Edit - TBH I'm experiencing "Bel Canto Overload" at present as well.
My views exactly!

On the logo front, I really like the twin flags. Didn’t mind the name at 9 o’clock and preferred full name to “Chr”.
These users thanked the author TheBeatles for the post:
ROF68
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: The Bel Canto is the final nail in the coffin of the CW rebrand! Critics vindicated?

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

O Miseri Homines!

The cut and thrust of intellectual discourse has always been an essential part of the forum. What is different here?
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
JasperCat
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:13 am
O Miseri Homines!

The cut and thrust of intellectual discourse has always been an essential part of the forum. What is different here?
Steve, you are possibly correct - maybe I just got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning as my posts so far today have been, let's say, on the negative side.

"Cut and thrust of intellectual discourse" though is pushing it a bit - Is it cutting and thrusting to continually revive something that is in the past and can't be changed? You may remember that I chipped in frequently about the 9o'clock logo but even I've had enough about the pros and cons of each of the logo and whether any are or aren't on a CW watch. Yes, I get it that it's personal opinion but it's a dead donkey so post some threads that have more intellectual discourse in them.

And just to complete the "O Miseri Homines!" for the EDIT part of my post re the BC - I get the expertise, design courage and value to the watch manufacturing business but there's going to be hundreds of it made and delivered so does this Forum need the "cut and thrust of intellectual discourse" of every purchaser posting the date of the email and potential delivery date way into the latter months of 2023?
These users thanked the author Mikkei4 for the post (total 2):
NationOfLawstikkathree
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

Just exploring the title of the thread, I'm puzzled at the "Critics vindicated" part. I thought the critics were mainly of the 9 o'clock waitrose-font logo rather than the Twin Flags logo?

So what does the BC not having the twinflags logo on the dial have anything to do with vindicating the critics? You might as well say the BC's lack of logo on the dial vindicates the critics of the TF logo, such as there are, therefore justifying a return to 9 o'clock waitrose.
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

^^^ I agree. :thumbup:

And as to AVO’s mention of the “cut and thrust of intellectual discourse”…. :)

I don’t really think that the points put forward by the OP hit the spot…..

It is difficult to take seriously an argument that the Bel Canto proves that traditionalist design language is not dead! :problem:

It is a totally modern execution of the complication. Nothing traditional about it whatsoever! :lol:

Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post:
rkovars
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Amor Vincit Omnia

Sorry , I forgot to preface my comment with

:ironie:

If I start insulting you in Latin and mentioning things like the cut and thrust of intellectual debate in the context of the forum logo, it’s usually a sign that the tongue is firmly inserted into the cheek. :D
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jf72

Post by jf72 »

missF wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:28 am You should have a job writing headlines for the tabloids... :D
I think you’re finding quite a creative way of bolstering your own opinion. But I think that the Bel Canto doesn’t have any name mark on it because it’s the Bel Canto. And I think that CW are most ‘vindicated’ (sounds like such a combative word) at this time.
yeah i was clearly in a peculiar mood posting at 1:30am on a work day ha
jf72

Post by jf72 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:42 am Sorry , I forgot to preface my comment with

If I start insulting you in Latin and mentioning things like the cut and thrust of intellectual debate in the context of the forum logo, it’s usually a sign that the tongue is firmly inserted into the cheek. :D
futue te ipsi :problem:
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:42 am Sorry , I forgot to preface my comment with

Yeah, excuse me for being so intellectually challenged that I was unable to read your mind or between the lines of your post. But that's the problem with written word although I was able to read the irony in NationOfLaws comment.

So it was an insult? Oh thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't sure about that as it was in Latin, but that language and others weren't my forte at school or in latter life so I'm limited to London English so please excuse me yet again and please continue in your insulting manner.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

jf72 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:48 am

:lol: :lol:
I'm glad I took the time to find the translation of that phrase.
jf72

Post by jf72 »

Mikkei4 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:20 pm
jf72 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:48 am

:lol: :lol:
I'm glad I took the time to find the translation of that phrase.
:lol: only meant in jest of course, @amor
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

So is it time CW stopped being stubborn and accepted the need to revert back in some way to the old, beloved Chr.Ward
No.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Amor Vincit Omnia

OK, let’s draw a line. My apologies for any comments of mine that may have lent themselves to misinterpretation. But please don’t tell me to do that in any language, especially one I taught. :lol:
Steve

NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by NationOfLaws »

Tangentially related, but a friend of mine who is also a CW enthusiast but won’t participate in these forums because he has a healthy social life with friends and everything will occasionally drop “and in hindsight… was the Christopher Ward rebrand of 2016 a historic mistake?” Into our text threads when we’re debating something long enough that the horse coroner is on the way to stop the beatings.
These users thanked the author NationOfLaws for the post:
ROF68
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

It's only a debate 'again' because the company can't stop rebranding itself.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.