Prototype

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
dbailey
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Prototype

Post by dbailey »

I’d love to add a one off, one of a kind prototype to my collection. I’ve only ever “taken” by one that I missed out on. What’s the likelihood I’m going to find one? I know they’re few & far between & I also know there’s a prototype sale at some point during the year so would love to pick one up then maybe.
Unless there’s anyone out there that may want to let theirs go I’m guessing that’s my only option?
These users thanked the author dbailey for the post:
JasperCat
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Prototype

Post by jkbarnes »

There’s no specific prototype sale, so much as there’s just the occasional prototype that shows up in one of the sales events. Given the rarity, it’s anybody’s guess on the odds of picking one up. You might have more luck with a forum member in possession of one selling it on.

When they do show up in the sales you need to act fast. I was lucky enough to spot this Bel Canto prototype early in the sale and jump on it. It’s got a very early version of the bird decoration on it but lacks the actual chime complication. :lol:

34178D01-DB65-4793-88FD-0F1EECA10895.jpeg
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 12):
JAFOthomcat00ajax87missFdbaileytikkathreeTonywalkerNationOfLawsYoobaldyViognier and 2 more users
Drew
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

jkbarnes wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:21 pm There’s no specific prototype sale, so much as there’s just the occasional prototype that shows up in one of the sales events. Given the rarity, it’s anybody’s guess on the odds of picking one up. You might have more luck with a forum member in possession of one selling it on.

When they do show up in the sales you need to act fast. I was lucky enough to spot this Bel Canto prototype early in the sale and jump on it. It’s got a very early version of the bird decoration on it but lacks the actual chime complication. :lol:

"Now that's what I call a watch. Ah say, That's what I call a watch."
(I hope that's Egghead Jr - it is Mel Blanc in Foghorn Leghorn, definitely my favourite cartoon series)
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post (total 2):
dbaileyjkbarnes
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

jkbarnes wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:21 pm There’s no specific prototype sale, so much as there’s just the occasional prototype that shows up in one of the sales events. Given the rarity, it’s anybody’s guess on the odds of picking one up. You might have more luck with a forum member in possession of one selling it on.

Currently leading the race for forum post of 2023 :lol:. Long way to go but may take some beating...
These users thanked the author A1soknownas for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesViognier
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

IIRC the last specific prototype sale was in March 2022. I don’t recall when the one prior to that was, although I did attend one many years before. So yes they have happened, albeit not regularly.
general-discussion/cw-forum-private-pro ... ml#p906117

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
dbailey
Junior
Junior

Post by dbailey »

That’s hilarious. Love it, but disappointed it doesn’t “Tweet”. That’s a deal breaker I’m afraid.
D
These users thanked the author dbailey for the post:
jkbarnes
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

dbailey wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:33 pm

That’s hilarious. Love it, but disappointed it doesn’t “Tweet”. That’s a deal breaker I’m afraid.
D
There are plenty of good choices out there when it comes to watches that make noise.

Here is one worth checking out—> other-brands/the-bel-honko-watch-t59989 ... ko#p936530
These users thanked the author ajax87 for the post (total 3):
Bahnstormer_vRSjkbarnesdbailey
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

nbg wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:17 pm IIRC the last specific prototype sale was in March 2022. I don’t recall when the one prior to that was, although I did attend one many years before. So yes they have happened, albeit not regularly.
general-discussion/cw-forum-private-pro ... ml#p906117

Neil
I was around for that, too! How did I not remember???
Drew
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

dbailey wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:48 pm I’d love to add a one off, one of a kind prototype to my collection. I’ve only ever “taken” by one that I missed out on. What’s the likelihood I’m going to find one? I know they’re few & far between & I also know there’s a prototype sale at some point during the year so would love to pick one up then maybe.
Unless there’s anyone out there that may want to let theirs go I’m guessing that’s my only option?
It never hurts to ask directly. Someone may have one you’d like and a prompt may result in your benefit. I’ve enquired with some success.
These users thanked the author thomcat00 for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesdbailey
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
dbailey
Junior
Junior

Post by dbailey »

thomcat00 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:25 pm
dbailey wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:48 pm I’d love to add a one off, one of a kind prototype to my collection. I’ve only ever “taken” by one that I missed out on. What’s the likelihood I’m going to find one? I know they’re few & far between & I also know there’s a prototype sale at some point during the year so would love to pick one up then maybe.
It never hurts to ask directly. Someone may have one you’d like and a prompt may result in your benefit. I’ve enquired with some success.
Thanks, yes I’m going to do that on the “want to buy” thread once I’ve built up enough posts. Has someone offer me one but it’s not quite right so the post worked to a certain degree.
D
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

While I can see the appeal of owning a unique prototype, I find in many cases there’s often a good reason they remained a one off.

Yes there are some really nice ones out there but to my eyes many seem like lesser versions of the watches that were deemed good enough to make production.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.