The CW won out as the travel watch

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

The CW won out as the travel watch

Post by ajax87 »

I’m sitting here in the airport, waiting for my flight to Dallas for a weeklong training/refresher for work. As most of us understand here, my first priority was to choose which watch to bring :lol:

I only wanted one, out of principle. I don’t want to travel with too many valuables.

Which one would suit my needs? It’s got to be able to handle climbing/walking on roofs, walking construction sites, maybe some light drywall cutting, business dinners and a trip or two to Top Golf…

My first choice was my RZE endeavor. Timing bezel, 200m WR, hardened titanium case and bracelet. The one I trust most when doing the rough stuff, the one I always golf with.

There was one major problem; the bracelet is not quick release. I didn’t want to bring along a tool and fuss with the bracelet for a change! It’s a minor but annoying inconvenience. Plus, it’s not the best for dress/fancy dinner duty.

The natural choice then is the C63 GMT. I’ll be a time zone over, so I’ll be tracking my home time for FaceTime with the wife and kids (it’s hard to keep track of a 1 hour time difference, right?) and it’ll look great on so many different straps for anything I’m doing. We will see how it holds up to the rougher stuff, but it’s supposed to be a GADA so this week will be a true test!

Thanks for reading my bored ramblings from the airport bar.

Pictures because I know that’s what you’re really here for.

56DE3679-0FC3-458F-923B-E45FC5AA70E3.jpeg
The loser sulking in the corner
36B736CF-C710-4DFD-B283-FF660A75AB34.jpeg
I don’t fly often- My CW pictured with my flight medicine
These users thanked the author ajax87 for the post (total 10):
AJelleyrkovarsjkbarneswelshladtikkathreeYoobaldyAmor Vincit OmniaMiniMpithomcat00OllyW
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Re: The CW won out as the travel watch

Post by Noush »

:)
I'll be holidaying in Tasmania in March. Exactly that watch is what I expect to travel with!
And yeah, take a couple of strap swaps and you're sorted.
Have a safe and successful trip.
These users thanked the author Noush for the post (total 2):
JAFOajax87
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Take an upside down watch. :D
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
ajax87
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Fun post! I follow an identical path (in not taking too many valuables) so default to the QR bracelet and collection of QR straps to manage the requsite look or activity.

My CW's (all with QR feature) and my Panerai (with drill through lugs) are the only ones that are up for consideration.
These users thanked the author Viognier for the post:
ajax87
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

JAFO wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:28 pm Take an upside down watch. :D
I'm already upside down!
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

what a corker, enjoy!
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
jcnassoc
Junior
Junior

Post by jcnassoc »

Very cool... Very smart choice (if I do say so myself; my C63 GMT just arrived yesterday), and great idea to take multiple straps when traveling. I've always gone the "only one watch while traveling" route but never thought of taking multiple straps / bracelets to allow for adjustments based on the venue.

Excellent!
These users thanked the author jcnassoc for the post:
ajax87
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Noush wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:44 am
JAFO wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:28 pm Take an upside down watch. :D
I'm already upside down!
Yes, I realised that subsequently. Have a great winter holiday :D :hot: :sun:
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I’m so happy to see this thread, Alex. A great choice too. When I was in Cyprus with the Ulysse Nardin I was thinking about the pros and cons of taking one watch. I don’t want to hijack your thread but I think it’s relevant.

Let’s start with the cons.

1. You’re stuck with it. If you fancy a change, you’ve had it. The one you wish you had brought is locked away at home. I’ve never found that a problem. The UN doesn’t swim, but I was happy enough with the security afforded by the hotel bedroom safe to leave it there when I went for a swim or sauna.

2. If the worst happens, you’re stuffed. I’ve never felt that I might be mugged for my watch in any of the places I’ve been to, and my watches are generally pretty reliable. I suppose if one did stop working I still have the phone and could pick up a cheapie at some store.

I can’t really think of anything else apart from getting bored with one watch. But in a strange way the opposite happens.

So, the pros…

1. Security. A big plus for me. Apart from maybe showering and locking the UN away when I go for a swim my watch remains on my wrist. No watch cases taking up room in my cabin bag. I just zip it into a coat pocket going through security. I never have to worry about the one(s) I’m not wearing. I like to travel light.

2. Lack of decision making. I don’t have to agonise over which watch I’m going to wear tonight or tomorrow. I can stop thinking about watches and start enjoying the holiday.

3. Familiarity and bonding. I’m not constantly admiring my watch; it just becomes part of me. I use it to tell the time. It also gives me the chance to live with the watch in a very real way for a couple of weeks or more, and to get used to the nuances of its behaviour and timekeeping.

3. GODO. What do I really need? A legible, reliable watch that keeps good time, looks the part and, if I’m on a beach holiday, can handle the Big Blue Infinity Pool.

Of course, taking your lovely wristwear on holiday and having a variety is important to some. I respect that. But I’ve discovered over the last few years that it’s the last thing I want or need on a trip.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post (total 5):
ajax87MiniMpiViognierTonywalkermissF
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

Enjoy your trip Alex ;)

Ah yes......the dream of going on a trip with just ONE watch............maybe someday I'll attempt it.
These users thanked the author MiniMpi for the post (total 5):
Amor Vincit OmniaROF68ajax87jkbarnesralfybaby
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

MiniMpi wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:35 pm Ah yes......the dream of going on a trip with just ONE watch............maybe someday I'll attempt it.
0ED1B20C-EAF7-4FB1-9395-E5941884C4B3.jpeg
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post (total 3):
MiniMpiajax87jkbarnes
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
MichaelMD
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by MichaelMD »

Really like it on that black strap! Good look
These users thanked the author MichaelMD for the post:
ajax87
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by ajax87 »

MichaelMD wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:27 pm Really like it on that black strap! Good look
Erika’s Original MN. You should DEFINITELY check her straps out if you haven’t. Highly recommended.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by ajax87 »

Thanks for the replies. Especially your detailed considerations, Steve!

Ferg, your CW collection is probably triple mine, so it makes sense you’d take triple the watches with you! :lol:
These users thanked the author ajax87 for the post:
MiniMpi
Alex
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by ajax87 »

As I sit in the airport waiting for the flight home, I’m perfectly happy with my choice. It blended in with the varied surroundings perfectly. Drywall dust, ladder climbing, fancy dinners, golf.

And it is dead on after 4 days. It has not gained or lost a second. Just amazing.

547CE00F-B680-4721-90A3-5A02E830B6F7.jpeg
These users thanked the author ajax87 for the post (total 3):
NoushjkbarnesSoporsche
Alex