Christopher Ward Longevity?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Rubarb

Christopher Ward Longevity?

Post by Rubarb »

There is much discussion on this site about the value of CW watches. Many other sites say similar things, like timezone.com. But the question I have is just how long can I expect to own a Christopher Ward watch?

One of the main reasons I started getting interested in fine watches was summed up well in a Patek Philippe ad "You never actually own a Patek Philippe. You merely take care of it for the next generation." I think this quote is great and what I would ideally like, but unfortunately I don't have the bankroll for a Patek Philippe. So my question is can I expect similar longterm performance from a CW? Is this a fair question for a watch at this price point? If not, what differentiates watches in these two price points?

Thanks in advance, and for all the other valuable information on this site...
El Tiempo
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 0

Post by El Tiempo »

Well, I guess I'll give it a go.

Will CW the company be here in the future? I dunno. Whether CW succumbs to poor sales or an unnoticed bus, only time will tell.

One thing I do know is my watch will be going strong. I have a Malvern which you probably already know has an ETA 2824-2 movement. I've read nothing but positive reviews of this caliber around the net. It's so popular in fact, there should be enough parts for my grandkids to get it fixed by a local watch repairman.

I'm not cheap. I like good value. I was considering more expensive watches than the Malvern when I bought it. I've never once looked at my watch and wished I'd purchased something else.

While I wish Chris nothing but high volume and good peripheral vision, I'm really banking on the quality timpiece he's put together to see me through the long run.

You can look around the forum to get an idea about service and other stuff.

Anyway, welcome and good luck.
Rubarb

Thanks for the info...

Post by Rubarb »

Thanks for the info. I never thought about it, but given the popularity of the movement I am sure I will be able to get parts in the future if needed. And knowing that that is where the motion is, it would be the most likely to wear and fail, but should that be my only concern? What about the integrity of the case, or material choice, or workmanship, or gold thickness?

Don't get me wrong, I really like CW watches, but since I am new to watches in general I want to know the things I should be looking for. When I seen two watches with the same things specified like the movement and crystal I don't know how to differentiate the two or justify the cost difference.

Maybe that is the point, a watch with a sapphire crystal, and a 2824-2 movement should cost this price???

Thanks again.
El Tiempo
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 0

Re: Thanks for the info...

Post by El Tiempo »

Rubarb wrote: Maybe that is the point, a watch with a sapphire crystal, and a 2824-2 movement should cost this price???
Rubarb, the reason CW can afford to offer this watch at this pricepoint is because there are no fancy pants ad campaigns or slogans to pay for. You get your watch right from the source. No middle men to jack up the price.

If you have ANY questions regarding plating thickness or case material or anything at all, email CW. Chris will reply and answer your questions. Even though running his business and being a prize winning clam breeder take most of his time, he still answers his email personally.

Best wishes,

El Tiempo
DavidM1
Senior
Senior

Post by DavidM1 »

I really wouldn't worry about the longevity compared to other watches using the same movement. Likewise the case and general assembly quality seems well up to the job as it does with most better watches made these days.

As watches age it seems to be the cosmetic things that go first. Tritium hands and markers go yellow with age although luminova, which is more widely used these days, keeps it colour apparently. The CW Malvern won't have this problem as it uses polished markers. Older watches with poor waterproofing sometimes show dial and hand discolouration from moisture. Dust can creep in if the watches seals are neglected over the years. Cases can get banged about. In general, watches that are serviced when needed will just about go forever or at least until the spare parts run out.

The real issue with old watches is whether people want to wear them fifty or a hundred years down the track. There are plenty of watches from the thirties and forties in good shape but they are simply too small for most people these days. The Patek that your Dad might have bought in 1982 might not look so cool today. Come to think of it, there are loads of pocket watches over a hundred years old that could be doing good service but how are they going to look with a pair of boardshorts or an iPod.

Don't believe everything that the Patek ads say. It's a Dad thing. When Patek advertises to women it emphasises that its watches are hip and forgets to mention that they could be left in the will for the kids.

:D
DB
Junior
Junior

Post by DB »

Maybe also keep this in mind Rubarb. If a watch was worn by somebody who was really dear to me. And it it was left to me I would wear it with big pride ,....whatever watch it was!

Most men have at least 2 watches one to cope with the tear and wear and one for presentation purposes. ( people on these forums probably have some more :) )

If i had to choose of those two I probably choose the beaten every day watch because it would say more about the person who wore it.
joerattz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by joerattz »

Here's my opinion.

The movement is a reliable and popular movement. You can probably take it to any decent watchmaker for service and repair. It will be a longtime before parts are not available for it. First, because it is such a successful movement, it will live on for a long time. Second, because it has been used on so many different watches, even if new parts aren't available from ETA at some point, it won't be difficult to find some other ETA 2824 to cannibalize parts from. Third, good watchmakers can probably make about any part you would need. The reality of this happening is unlikely though because it would be very expensive. Probably too expensive for a $200-300 watch. Then again, if we are talking 100 years from now, it may have appreciated enough to be worth it. Regardless, I would consider this probably the best movement in the world in terms of being able to get it serviced and obtain parts.
C5SWT (#316), C5AKS (#316/1936), C5AWS (#789/1936), C6-ForumLE (#3/100), C6SYS (#347), C6-T3LE (#130/300), C6SWS (#601), C3SKS (#1204)

Pro LINQ: Language Integrated Query in C# 2008 : http://www.amazon.com/dp/1590597893?tag=netsplore-20
joerattz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Re: Christopher Ward Longevity?

Post by joerattz »

Rubarb wrote:...in a Patek Philippe ad "You never actually own a Patek Philippe. You merely take care of it for the next generation."
Hey, I actually just saw this ad recently in a magazine. I have another quote PP could use...

"You never actually own a Patek Philippe. You merely make the mortgage payments." :headbash:
C5SWT (#316), C5AKS (#316/1936), C5AWS (#789/1936), C6-ForumLE (#3/100), C6SYS (#347), C6-T3LE (#130/300), C6SWS (#601), C3SKS (#1204)

Pro LINQ: Language Integrated Query in C# 2008 : http://www.amazon.com/dp/1590597893?tag=netsplore-20
Hans
Administrator Emeritus - Founder
CW-watches: 7
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes

Post by Hans »

:ug: