CW 2022 Forum Watch of the Year

Discuss Christopher Ward watches

Which model is the most significant introduction of 2022 for Christopher Ward?

Poll ended at Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:00 am

C1 Bel Canto
71%
C60 Trident Pro 300
18%
C63 Sealander 36mm
3%
C65 Cranwell Series 2
No votes
C65 Dartmouth Series 2
No votes
C65 Sandhurst Series 2
No votes
C65 Sandhurst Bronze Series 2
3%
C65 Aquitaine
1%
C65 Aquitaine
No votes
C65 Aquitaine GMT
4%
C65 Aquitaine Bronze
No votes

Total votes: 73

JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: CW 2022 Forum Watch of the Year

Post by JAFO »

NationOfLaws wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:09 pm
iain wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:47 pm
NationOfLaws wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:37 pm Bel Canto is OK Computer and Aquitaine is Kid A.

To be fair I’m not sure that’s a fair comparison, I wouldn’t class either watch as overrated nonsense. :lol: :lol:
Spoken like a Coldplay fan.
I don't know much Coldplay, but he'll need a yellow watch, won't he?
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

NationOfLaws wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:09 pm
iain wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:47 pm
NationOfLaws wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:37 pm Bel Canto is OK Computer and Aquitaine is Kid A.

To be fair I’m not sure that’s a fair comparison, I wouldn’t class either watch as overrated nonsense. :lol: :lol:
Spoken like a Coldplay fan.

Blimey, that’s quite the put down. It’s a good job I’m not easily offended. :lol: :lol:

I wouldn’t describe any CW watch as being like Coldplay, to me they are more like the wall clock in my dads house. For some reason he really likes it but no one else knows why and every now and then it makes a really annoying sound....

Meanwhile back on topic......
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

I voted for the Bel Canto and not just because I bought one. It's the watch that caught the watch world's attention, doesn't follow any pre-existing macro-trends and brought new customers to the brand who would never have considered the brand before.

The Aquitaine line is a homage in the perjorative sense of the word. It's not quite as bad as the many Pagani design photocopier watches but it's not far off. Micro and Ali-express brands can make the same watch for a lot less. This is a significant step backwards which I don't think is the intent of the vote.

The revised military line went smaller, fussier and more retro. Smaller sizes are undoubtedly popular but this is a rare example of a generational change making the watches worse.

The C60 Trident Pro 300 is a good launch for CW but won't change the world. The design builds on elements that already existed in the C60 #tide and the macro-trend of slimmer was already well known. Bel Canto aside this was the best launch of the year but it won't be a needle mover for the brand. The 36mm Sealanders are a line extension, nothing more. The small watch weenies might like them but this is more macro-trend stuff. Brands have to follow trends but unless you're setting the trend, being a follower isn't significant.

This is the first year in a long time where I might wish there was a "None of the above" option in this vote. The Bel Canto allowed me to vote for something. The use of direct customer engagement for the C60 Pro 300 was welcome but shouldn't they have been doing this all the time anyway? There was one watch that wasn't included in the list that might have deserved a place; the C65 Highlander LE. This watch bought something new to CW. The highly textured dial is a departure from the CW norm. A similar textured dial was available to the forum design team and they took the opportunity to use this feature to great effect. I suspect we might see more such dials in the future. I don't necessarily like them (that's my problem) but they are popular and allow for a lot of new design freedoms and that is significant.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

A bit of selective quoting from a Worn and Wound article but here's why the Bel Canto is significant...

Visually, this is an exciting watch, a near total departure from the somewhat predictable design language of brands like Christopher Ward (which I generally enjoy, fwiw).

https://wornandwound.com/the-biggest-surprises-of-2022/
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

albionphoto wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:27 pm A bit of selective quoting from a Worn and Wound article but here's why the Bel Canto is significant...

Visually, this is an exciting watch, a near total departure from the somewhat predictable design language of brands like Christopher Ward (which I generally enjoy, fwiw).

That photo of the BC in the review referred to is about the best I have seen I think. :D
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

It is terrific to read the posts explaining one's reasoning for the choices you have made. It tells me that you really do take this vote seriously. :clap:
These users thanked the author Kip for the post (total 3):
albionphotoMiniMpiROF68
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
suicidal_orange
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by suicidal_orange »

There are only two options that I'd be interested in owning and while a fully lumed dial is new to CW it's not in the same league as the Bel Canto.
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

I’m a little surprised that the Bel Canto is not scoring votes in the 90’s. I suspect some folk are voting with ‘taste’ in mind. I hasten to add that’s not a criticism, each vote has value. I’m not particularly struck by how the Bel Canto looks, the mechanical bird does little for me. However, the R&D is impressive as is the outcome at what is an extraordinary price point. No wonder the excitement and the rave reviews.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

The title is 'forum watch of the year,' the opening text mentioned - 'decide what we think is the best new watch model introduction for 2022' and then ended with a question to 'the most significant impact on CWL, not only now, but in the future'. The vote then said 'significant introduction of 2022'.

With 4 slightly different leads I went with the view that people may come for the Bel Canto but stay for the C60 Trident Pro 300 which itself needs to be top notch.

Everyone here knows that CW produce great value watches and it is a shame the hysteria of the Bel Canto is what has been needed to bring forward what in some cases is a bunch of ignorant, stubborn and pretentious watch buying masses. Such people would have remained behind their prejudice of not liking the logo, no matter how good the watch is, would never wear another man's names on my wrist or would just judge a watch based upon a more accessible price point. From that perspective, in my view, it certainly may be the most significant introduction of 2022.

I just couldn't vote for the Bel Canto as a watch. Maybe I would have done in the jewellery section :lol:. When the time element becomes so small and illegible even for the keenest of eyes in order to incorporate the movement and the odd ding, when does it cease to be a watch?

In the future can CW juggle both the Bel Canto and all the other models, keep all customers happy and not become even more muddled as a brand than they were before? Who knows. If CW had spent all their time, effort and money with the focus of their staple and making that as amazing as possible we may be in a situation where there never is a Bel Canto and I would not miss it.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

albionphoto wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:27 pm A bit of selective quoting from a Worn and Wound article but here's why the Bel Canto is significant...

Exactly what I was referring to earlier when not everybody understood my animal analogy:

Fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish tiger.

The fish, of course, being the ad infinitum proliferation of dive watches over the last year or two.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
albionphoto
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
ROF68
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 9

Post by ROF68 »

What a year for CW. My own view is that the Sandhurst Series 2 is stunning; the Trident Pro 300 is an incredible value packed with features; and, clearly, the Bel Canto was a historic release that elevated the entire CW brand (which is why I voted for it here). But, honestly, for me, the standout is the entire Sealander range, which I think is a deceptively simple design that is sophisticated, classy and elegant -- and, clearly, given the number of size and color variants -- has created a platform that "has legs." I love them all, and congratulate the entire team at Christopher Ward for a historic year. May 2023 be just as exciting! Happy New Year, everyone!
Tim
“It isn’t much good having anything exciting, if you can’t share it with somebody.” —Winnie the Pooh

Trident Pro 300 | C60 Atoll | C63 Sealander (x2) | C63 Highlander | C65 Sandhurst | C65 Trident Auto | C65 Trident GMT | C65 Anthropocene
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:00 pm

Exactly what I was referring to earlier when not everybody understood my animal analogy:

Fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish tiger.

The fish, of course, being the ad infinitum proliferation of dive watches over the last year or two.
Just because it isn't a fish, doesn't mean it is a tiger!
A watch that is quite difficult to tell the time on would be like a tiger with blunt claws.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

We have a winner!

Somehow it just doesn't surprise me.

Thanks to all who participated.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

Kip wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:13 pm Somehow it just doesn't surprise me.
Surprised me that it only got 52 votes.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^ There were only 73 cast. A tad apathetic, Forum…
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
Richard D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)