rkovarsJAFOajax87
Drew
bananapants
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 8

Re: Broke some rules... what to do?

Post by bananapants »

JAFO wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:37 pm I have the handwound C65 in both blue and black. I like both, but the black, which I just bought, is getting more wrist time. Having the manual wind would put me off having other variants in the same colours. I think I would probably lose one of the blue C65s therefore, if I had to lose one, but the different bezel colour is enough to keep both. :D
that's more food for thought for sure - side-by-side, in-person, the blue dial c65 GMT looks pretty different from the blue dial c65 handwound IMHO
- the shade of blue on the dial is a bit different, but maybe that's perceived and not real based on the different bezels
- the GMT has the orange GMT hand of course, which is one of my favorite complications
- the blue bezel on the handwound makes it wear different - sometimes I think it looks bigger as the bezel color blends with the dial color, while the GMT looks smaller as the dial looks a bit smaller as it's contrasted against the stainless bezel
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Your rule, yours to break. We all make our own rules from time to time; I have made rules, broken them, made other rules, broken those as well, remade the original rules…

At the moment my rules are: no divers (I’m down to one but I don’t wear it); no overlap or repetition in the watch box (getting there). Looking at your collection I think we might be polar opposites! :lol:

I am much more likely to break the second rule than the first.

Anyway, what I mean is do what you like and enjoy what you do. :thumbup:
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post (total 2):
rkovarsROF68
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

These are the only rules I have - I have to like the design of the watch (that can either be esthetics or specs) and the watches must be worn (no safe queens in this house!). If either of these change or aren't met then there is a no buy or moved along. No sense keeping watches you aren't going to wear no matter the reason (sentimental pieces being the exception - every rule needs exceptions right? :lol: :lol: ).
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

If you break your own rules, the legal term is that you "distinguished" them by establishing a precedent.
So all's good. :D
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
ROF68
ROF68
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 9

Post by ROF68 »

Like probably everyone in this forum, I have too many watches by any reasonable "need to have them" standard. That said, I love them all, and they each have a story connected to them. I've pondered before whether I should clear a few out, but when it comes down to it, I just can't do it. The only one I've ever sold was a Hamilton Khaki King, and even that stayed in the family -- I sold it at a major loss to a nephew. I'm not sure there are any "rules" in there, but for me, each of my watches has become important and significant to me, and I just can't bear the thought of parting with them. So, yes, get a bigger box! (Ironically, I have a watch box on my Christmas list, and I'm realizing it won't be big enough for my collection. . . always next year, I guess.)
Tim
“It isn’t much good having anything exciting, if you can’t share it with somebody.” —Winnie the Pooh

Trident Pro 300 | C60 Atoll | C63 Sealander (x2) | C63 Highlander | C65 Sandhurst | C65 Trident Auto | C65 Trident GMT | C65 Anthropocene
bananapants
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 8

Post by bananapants »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:51 am Your rule, yours to break. We all make our own rules from time to time; I have made rules, broken them, made other rules, broken those as well, remade the original rules…

At the moment my rules are: no divers (I’m down to one but I don’t wear it); no overlap or repetition in the watch box (getting there). Looking at your collection I think we might be polar opposites! :lol:

I am much more likely to break the second rule than the first.

Anyway, what I mean is do what you like and enjoy what you do. :thumbup:
Maybe interesting that I started my collection without any divers and really didn't care for timing bezels at all. What you don't see here is the the 6 other watches in my collection, of which one is a diver, and it's one I've customized just to try my hand at modding. I still don't tend to prefer current dive watch aesthetic represented by the C60 line (I've owned 4 of them)
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by Leon O »

I can't offer any help. I have two full watch boxes and some overflow pieces. Good Luck!
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi