Broke some rules... what to do?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
bananapants
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 8

Broke some rules... what to do?

Post by bananapants »

One in one out... if the watchbox is out of room.... yep, broke those rules.

So I've never been an ebay watch buyer, but something struck me a couple months ago that it would be 1. a good idea to go to ebay and 2. to type in "christopher ward" in the search box and, well... a c65 GMT with blue dial was right there, at a can't-say-no starting bid so I took a stab at it and shortly thereafter I took possession of 1. my favorite c65 model with 2. my favorite color dial - note the c65 GMT with blue dial in the photo below. Then... a couple weeks later I remembered that my first c65 was what I think was the original maybe - the blue dial/blue bezel handwound - that I regretted selling in favor of the c65 automatic that I subsequently sold, and that maybe, just maybe, one could be found on ebay. Low and behold there was one on ebay at yet again a stunning pricepoint... and here we are: too many watches for the watchbox... no respect for the one-in-one-out rule either.

What would you do? What stays? What goes? Continue the rule breaking, add another to have a week worth of Wards?
cws.JPEG
I've had several Wards, at least 8 not pictured here that came and went. All but the c65 GMT black dial here joined the crew in the past year, and I think at least one has to go, and here's my situation:

1. c65 GMT black dial - the one with the most wrist time - I just love this watch
2. c65 GMT blue dial - the one getting the most wrist time since it joined the fleet
3. c65 blue dial - love the blue, love the minute track, love the bezel... can't seem to fine a strap it likes a ton though I generally default to bracelets, would like a strap I can wear in rotation with this one
4. c60 #tide - picked up in recent clearance sale as nearly new - love the bezel on this, it's a touch flashy for my taste and at the max size limit I prefer to wear... and had I known the new c60 Trident Pro 300 would come out with the same style bezel I would have held out for a 40mm blue dial one
5. c63 Sapphire GMT LE - Meant to pick this up when it was listed, missed out and got on the waiting list - jumped the second I was advised that my chance to get one had come. Love GMT watches, love the chance to have my first COSC certified watch, love the design in general, love the blue GMT hand, love the sapphire dial... but just don't wear it a ton
6. The ol' C60 Trident Pro - picked up used this past year at a super-can't-say-no deal - well loved with scratches on scratches all over the bracelet and an electric blue color that convinced me to keep it on my wrist all summer. Haven't put it on since the weather turned cold and my wardrobe shifted, but it's there and I know it will return me to joy at some point
These users thanked the author bananapants for the post (total 2):
JasperCatDavid. S
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Broke some rules... what to do?

Post by jkbarnes »

Simple….get a bigger box!
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 6):
Chris375RichMalbionphotoDavid. SROF68Leon O
Drew
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

jkbarnes wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:33 am Simple….get a bigger box!
+1..or better yet, just another watch box!!.. 8)

BTW, some great choices in wrist wear there!!..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Thunder1 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:10 am BTW, some rreat choices in wrist wear there!!..
Agreed! Great collection you have there.
Drew
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by watchaholic »

Right there with you. I’ve had a couple boxes in my watch list for a while now. Not sure why I haven’t ordered yet. No rush, maybe I’ll give myself a post Christmas gift.
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

Well, aren’t rules meant to be broken? Or there are some nice suggestions above. If you get another box or a bigger box, no rules have been broken!
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
bananapants
Senior
Senior

Post by bananapants »

Thunder1 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:10 am
jkbarnes wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:33 am Simple….get a bigger box!
+1..or better yet, just another watch box!!.. 8)

BTW, some great choices in wrist wear there!!..
This really should be the way - watch collector me has an ongoing battle with practical me as to what is rational vs. what brings me joy
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

If need be I just buy another box. Good collection you have there.
These users thanked the author Richard D for the post (total 2):
MiniMpithomcat00
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

If need be I just buy another box.
Yes! --- and revisit your rules :D They are really more guidance though aren't they?
These users thanked the author exHowfener for the post:
Richard D
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

The rule is, you're only here once! (probably) ;D

And that black GMT is showing the wrong time. It's 3 seconds slower than the other watches. :D
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

Roll with the punches.
Don't get sucked into "one in, one out" as anything stronger than a fanciful notion.
Buy what you can afford.
Keep what you want.
Repeat/enjoy.
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post (total 2):
ROF68Leon O
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

I am with everyone else - who says anything has to go? If you feel something just has to go, I would look really hard at the GMTs. That is where you have the most overlap.

But then again it could just be the even number. Every good designer will tell you that the brain is only comfortable with odd numbers of things :lol:
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
bananapants
Senior
Senior

Post by bananapants »

JAFO wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:42 pm The rule is, you're only here once! (probably) ;D

And that black GMT is showing the wrong time. It's 3 seconds slower than the other watches. :D
:shock: I am the guy who sets my watch using time.gov nearly every time I strap one on... can't believe I managed to let that GMT lag behind... can't.un.see.it
These users thanked the author bananapants for the post:
JAFO
bananapants
Senior
Senior

Post by bananapants »

rkovars wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:36 pm I am with everyone else - who says anything has to go? If you feel something just has to go, I would look really hard at the GMTs. That is where you have the most overlap.

But then again it could just be the even number. Every good designer will tell you that the brain is only comfortable with odd numbers of things :lol:
As I typed up my thoughts on each watch I was concerned that the #tide and/or c63 could be first to go. If not for the black c65 GMT having the most longevity that has turned into an real attachment, the rational thing to do would be to send it along its way in favor of the blue c65 GMT, as I am positively smitten by that one.

As I sit here now, I think the #tide has to go in favor of a c60 Trident Pro 300 40mm in blue as it's the right color and design for me, a touch smaller, and maybe a touch less flashy. That doesn't reduce my count at all though... I didn't mention the 6 other non-CW watches that are competing for space in the 6-count watch box either...
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I have the handwound C65 in both blue and black. I like both, but the black, which I just bought, is getting more wrist time. Having the manual wind would put me off having other variants in the same colours. I think I would probably lose one of the blue C65s therefore, if I had to lose one, but the different bezel colour is enough to keep both. :D