Best way to start a collection

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
AJelley
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Best way to start a collection

Post by AJelley »

Hi all, new member & first proper post here, and I'm really looking for some advice & feedback on the best way to start collecting CWs. I've been thinking over the whole 'watch collecting' thing for a while, and so have some ideas, but I feel it is always a good idea to tap a few of the wiser heads in any group before getting stuck in :-)

My thinking is as follows:
1: Sign up for the FLE (done - it's lovely, so huge congrats to those involved in the design!)
2: Save up for a 'daily wear' - at the moment I'm focused on the Sealander Elite as a really practical watch with abundant good looks
3: Save up (again) for the C1 Moonglow for Sunday best... It's gorgeous and I just love it
4: Ditch steps 2 & 3 if a new Bel Canto becomes available

I would really appreciate any feedback on the following:
Any thoughts or advice on the watch choices in this rough plan?
Any risk of the Sealander Elite or Moonglow going out of production in 2023? (i.e. do I need to save faster or prioritise one over the other)
Is there something I should be doing right now to register interest in a new wave of Bel Canto?

Thanks in advance folks
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: Best way to start a collection

Post by rkovars »

All I can say is CWs in a collection procreate like rabbits. I bought my first one and looked down and my signature and there is 5 (soon to be 6). There are soooo many good ones!

Your outline seems sound to me except for step 5: Start saving for step 2 and 3 again. :lol: :lol:
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post (total 5):
Thunder1AJelleytikkathreeMiniMpialbionphoto
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

rkovars wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:04 pm All I can say is CWs in a collection procreate like rabbits. I bought my first one and looked down and my signature and there is 5 (soon to be 6). There are soooo many good ones!

Your outline seems sound to me except for step 5: Start saving for step 2 and 3 again. :lol: :lol:
+1... 8)
These users thanked the author Thunder1 for the post:
AJelley
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
AJelley
Senior
Senior

Post by AJelley »

Yeah... I was worried there might be a step 5! :lol:
I see the Super Compressor in your list there - I really like that watch too - you happy with it?
biggus_richus
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by biggus_richus »

I don't subscribe to the notion of a daily wear. What's the point of building up a collection if only one of them gets worn daily? Anyway, why can't the FLE be a daily wear?

Buy the watches you love and don't feel the need to conform (hence feel free to disregard this reply entirely) or pigeon hole. But most importantly, wear them and enjoy them.
These users thanked the author biggus_richus for the post (total 4):
rkovarsAJelleyjkbarnesalbionphoto
Rich.

Breitling | CW | Farer | Formex | Garmin | Marloe | Ming | Omega | Oris | Seiko | Studio Underd0g | Tag Heuer | Timex
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

AJelley wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:12 pm Yeah... I was worried there might be a step 5! :lol:
I see the Super Compressor in your list there - I really like that watch too - you happy with it?
Love the Super Compressor. CW hit a homerun with that one. Wears really well and looks great on almost any strap. I also like the fact that it is a true super compressor and not just a compressor style case.

Add it to your list 8)
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
AJelley
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I couldn’t handle a one-brand watchbox. I need variety. :D
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
AJelley
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

Welcome to the forum :D
I think your thinking is sound. Giving some thought to a daily wear watch is a pretty good start.
I’m glad you’re aware of the possibility of having to ditch all plans should certain circumstances arise. It’ll help you deal with what will happen next:

Once you have bought a watch - especially once you have two - the possibilities arising for you increase expi-exponentially. Think of a magician pulling sequences of cards out of a hat that number as many as the stars in the universe... Or - just imagine that that rabbit hole you just fell down was actually dug by a breeding pair who breed baby bunnies who dig rabbit holes faster exponentially with each generation....

I have many watch plans these days. All of them are fleeting. My best advice is try and get hold for yourself some of the watches that really catch your eye. Then you’ll really be enjoying the journey :thumbup:
These users thanked the author missF for the post (total 2):
AJelleytikkathree
AJelley
Senior
Senior

Post by AJelley »

biggus_richus wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:21 pm I don't subscribe to the notion of a daily wear. What's the point of building up a collection if only one of them gets worn daily? Anyway, why can't the FLE be a daily wear?

Buy the watches you love and don't feel the need to conform (hence feel free to disregard this reply entirely) or pigeon hole. But most importantly, wear them and enjoy them.
That's a good point - it's not like I go out loads and get to dress up either! :lol:
I guess I'm working on the logic that a) I'm a bit of a clutz and I'm outdoors a lot, chucking stuff around and generally being rough, and b) something fine or limited should be kept as mint as possible. But then I'm thinking of a watch as something that I put on in the morning & take off at night - rinse and repeat. I guess it's a different mindset where folks change watches daily, or even more than daily! Thanks mate, got me thinking there
AJelley
Senior
Senior

Post by AJelley »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:30 pm I couldn’t handle a one-brand watchbox. I need variety. :D
Oh no - I need boundaries!! :lol:
AJelley
Senior
Senior

Post by AJelley »

rkovars wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:29 pm
AJelley wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:12 pm Yeah... I was worried there might be a step 5! :lol:
Love the Super Compressor. CW hit a homerun with that one. Wears really well and looks great on almost any strap. I also like the fact that it is a true super compressor and not just a compressor style case.

Add it to your list 8)
Added :lol:
AJelley
Senior
Senior

Post by AJelley »

missF wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:34 pm Welcome to the forum :D
I think your thinking is sound. Giving some thought to a daily wear watch is a pretty good start.
I’m glad you’re aware of the possibility of having to ditch all plans should certain circumstances arise. It’ll help you deal with what will happen next:

Once you have bought a watch - especially once you have two - the possibilities arising for you increase expi-exponentially. Think of a magician pulling sequences of cards out of a hat that number as many as the stars in the universe... Or - just imagine that that rabbit hole you just fell down was actually dug by a breeding pair who breed baby bunnies who dig rabbit holes faster exponentially with each generation....

I have many watch plans these days. All of them are fleeting. My best advice is try and get hold for yourself some of the watches that really catch your eye. Then you’ll really be enjoying the journey :thumbup:
Yesss! The only thing I am 100% certain of is that I want to absolutely love every watch that I buy. I'm so stupidly obsessive at times, so avoiding all the rabbit traps and focusing on that goal is key :thumbup:
suicidal_orange
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by suicidal_orange »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:30 pm I couldn’t handle a one-brand watchbox. I need variety. :D
I've got 6 CWs, the only repeated feature is the hands on the oldest two though one has steel the other rose gold plated. Different cases, different dial colours, different sizes and one's even square - and my collection still has nothing with a Swish or the "CW at 9" logo, no Titanium or lightcatcher cases, and I don't have a diver with a bezel insert. Variety is indeed good :thumbup:
These users thanked the author suicidal_orange for the post:
AJelley
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

Have you gone to a store where you can try different sizes/shapes [eg round, square, rectangular] of cases so you know your preferred range of case sizes and shapes?

Might be helpful while you're saving up and looking to buy No.2. :D
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

I'll echo that just buying what speaks to you and enjoying the watches is the way to go! From your initial post, you've identified a few that you really like, so go for them.

I will say as a Moonglow owner that it can dress down really well too with rubber/canvas/nylon straps. Much of the time I actually treat it as a sports watch rather than a dress watch.

I'm not aware of any plan to stop production of the sealander elite or the moonglow, but you never know. There's always the pre-owned route.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925