anOrdain: a dilemma

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Didier.O
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Re: anOrdain: a dilemma

Post by Didier.O »

Got the email this morning, I have until Friday to decide whether I wanna jump or not. The first available build slots are June 2026, so delivery is probably end of 2026. The deposit amount is ok, and I tend to think that the longer the wait, the easier the decision cause I can just forget about it and I'll pay in a few years.

What I must really think about is whether or not I truly want to pay that much for a dial, with prices that have considerably jumped since I first enquired. I value my Grand Seikos for their dials, but they also have amazing movements (especially High Beat and Spring Drive), something I dont see in Anordain watches. The price of the fume medium on automatic jumped to 2.8k (VAT excluded), with up to 5% increase per year depending on inflation, and we all know what this means for probably the next 2 years. At the end of it, this is nearly 4k on a dial. Albeit unique, yet part of something with little versatility.

I have to do some thinking. Nothing here is ever rational, but still.
monkeymax
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by monkeymax »

Didier.O wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:25 pm Got the email this morning, I have until Friday to decide whether I wanna jump or not.
I came here for this thread - well, to look to see what had been written on this forum about anOrdain, but it turns out my dilemma was already written about! What did you decide, Didier?

I have just caught up on my emails and realised I too now have until midday tomorrow to decide if I want to go for one. Build dates now second half of 2026, going into 2027! I clicked on the email thinking "it may be 2024 and that's okay," but a lot can happen in 4 years... I can't find anything that says they won't remove the currently available colours or styles between now and then either. Also, they'll limit price rises to 5% per year - so over four years that could be a potential increase of £600...

I really love a great dial and am willing to pay the premium for one of these. I love their story and how it's made, but as the deposit seems completely non-refundable for something I won't see for 4 years (and for a brand I've never seen in person) I'll admit I'm struggling to go for it.
Didier.O
Senior
Senior

Post by Didier.O »

monkeymax wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:12 am I came here for this thread - well, to look to see what had been written on this forum about anOrdain, but it turns out my dilemma was already written about! What did you decide, Didier?
I went for it. Real question was, would I pay up to 10+% over the price that it is now (loosely trying to factor inflation) if it were available (almost like a 'buying on the grey market' question)? The worse that can happen, if in 4 years Im at a point where I cannot fork out the rest (even though the cash has been earmarked, you never know what the future holds), is that I lose 350 pounds.

The price tag for the answer to my aforementioned question, I guess. The price not to deal with potential regret, questioning, pointless rationalisation over the next few years (not exactly 4, cause I could jump back on that list at any time in the future). It's almost like hedging a bet at this point for me.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

^^^ £350 seems a pretty steep option fee to me. You need to really really want the watch, I guess.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Perhaps the best way to look at the non recoverable £350 is to compare it with how much someone will typically lose when selling a watch bought in haste and then shortly after deciding to move it on. If thinking that we may lose £350 when changing our minds on a potential watch purchase was a real consideration - I imagine that far less watches would be purchased in the first place! :)

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Didier.O
Senior
Senior

Post by Didier.O »

nbg wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:32 pm Perhaps the best way to look at the non recoverable £350 is to compare it with how much someone will typically lose when selling a watch bought in haste and then shortly after deciding to move it on. If thinking that we may lose £350 when changing our minds on a potential watch purchase was a real consideration - I imagine that far less watches would be purchased in the first place! :)

Neil
And because of everything surrounding Anordain, Im pretty confident that you can quickly resell them for at least the price of purchase. I mean, I see Pelagos 39s being sold for 4500gbp on Chrono24.
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

^^^^ An Anordain for the price of a Pelagos? You could buy a Tudor for that money!!!

Sorry, thought I was commenting on an expensive CW for a minute there……
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
monkeymax
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by monkeymax »

Well I got stuck in a meeting all morning so the opportunity slipped away. And I'm only a little disappointed; as much as I would like one, the full price is now a significant chunk of the way towards the cost of a watch I've wanted for longer (and have tried on) which also has a shorter wait time.

I'm glad to read you went for it Didier and hope that when it does arrive (!!) we get to see photos! I wonder if the wait time will be decreased if they manage to increase their headcount again in the next couple of years?