Leaving the forum after three and a half years

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Leaving the forum after three and a half years

Post by strapline »

This is my 1,876th post and, I think, my last. All good things come to an end, and my time on here is coming to an end before it even has a beginning. I STILL DON'T OWN A CW WATCH! It's not that I don't want one, just other aspects of life have stripped away the desire to justify a watch purchase when I already have three watches doing a stellar job.

Soon after coming to this forum I began battling an extremely debilitating form of inflammatory arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis - yes, it's as horrible as it sounds. Unfortunately I"m not winning, despite my best efforts (diet, meds, exercise). A bitter pill to swallow given how very active I've always been. It has taken away much of my independence, as well as any hope of earning a living and enjoying the trappings that affords. In some ways I feel like an imposter on the forum, you'll never see news of an excited watch reveal from me for the reason I've just detailed.

Still, I came here to learn about watches and take part in watch related discussion, and I feel I've largely met that objective.The forum has also served as a great distraction, soaking up a good portion of free time as well as making me feel included in a very human space. I've had repeated dealings with some funny, intelligent and very personable types on here. It has also served as a window of sorts in to a very niche subset of people that, in this case, covets wrist trinkets to a quite remarkable degree.

I can't help thinking that I should be putting my time in to different things, ploughing a new furrow, although I know not what that might be for now. I'm not an enabler and I don't see me being enabled any time soon. It strikes me that the more time I spend on the forum - without the explanation I have just offered - the more of an oddity I will appear. "This guy lives on the forum but he never buys watches...wtf!"

Forums are two dimensional spaces occupied by avatars and funny usernames. More often than not, we're not really sure who that person is that replies to our posts. We certainly know nothing of their lives. So, in deciding to come away from this virtual space, I thought I might just offer up the tiniest of details about who I am. It's only the smallest part of the picture, but it has had a truly huge baring. So, thanks to all of you that have been part of the discussion/s. It was a lot of fun for what might be considered an unhealthy amount of time. Having been so present for a number of years now, I didn't want to just disappear without offering some kind of explanation. Thanks for taking the time to read this if you've got this far. And if we interacted along the way better still.

Des
These users thanked the author strapline for the post (total 2):
StifStrapMeister
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: Leaving the forum after three and a half years

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Don't go.

Stay.

Not owning a CW is absolutely not an impediment to being here.

Chatting with us watch geeks has surely got to be good for the soul.

I'm really sorry to hear of your medical situation Des, and feel for you greatly.

You will be sorely missed, if you do go.

Guy

PS> apologies for the succinct message; my gut feeling.

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post (total 5):
Thunder1Stuart1StiftikkathreeStrapMeister
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

Hey Des,

I for one will miss the thought provoking posts. New watches and even CW watches are only part of the complete picture here. I don't think anyone here would consider you a 'forum Walt' for not partaking in either of these activities.

I sincerely hope that things turn for the better and you see some relief from your condition. Thank you for seeing enough in us to share this personal struggle with the forum.

Don't lose that log in in case you want to return from time to time just to see what is going on with the old gang!

All the best.
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post (total 3):
jkbarnesStuart1tikkathree
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

Really sorry to hear about your condition Des and the impact it’s had on your well-being. Life can really be cruel at times.

Like others have said, this forum isn’t really about the watches, it’s just that was the common theme that brought us all here. The posts that I appreciate most are the ones not really about the actual watches, but those discussing other topics. The joke comments always make me smile and I get more from this place than just the watch talk. It sounds like deep down so do you.

If you feel you do need to leave then all the best and your input here will definitely be missed. However please don’t walk out as you feel you aren’t part of the group because you don’t buy watches. Neither do others these days any they still regularly interact.
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
jkbarnes
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I will amalgamate the first two messages. Take a time out, leave it open and come back when you’re ready. As Guy says, not owning a CW is no impediment. We need people with your positivity and wit.

Take care, and let’s say au revoir and hopefully not goodbye.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesStuart1
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Des you don’t need to own a CW watch to be here. Nor do you need to buy watches every five minutes to be a valued forum member.

You have touched on your health issues in previous posts. Hopefully you will in the future be able to find an appropriate balance of treatment to reduce the impact.

Take care of yourself. Au revoir is much better than goodbye.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

I hope you don’t go - I love your banter. You’re very valued here. The nice part of this corner of the internet is that people are valued for who they are - not what watches they own. Although we are stupidly interested in the watches we own...

It sounds like your life has changed a great deal in recent years and I kind of understand that you might need to go and find some new furrows. Your thoughts are going to have to spin in new directions. I hope that the forum can still be on your to do list but in any case if you are off to explore other things I’ll say au revoir, all the best, and I hope to see you back here soon with tales of your travels :wave:
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
Stuart1
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

I don’t want to rehash what others have already said, so instead I’ll say thank you for being here. I’ve always valued your contributions and looked forward to your posts. If leaving is what you need to do, then I wish you all the best. You will be missed and will be welcomed back with open arms if (when!) you choose to return.

Godspeed!
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
Stuart1
Drew
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

Des, I’m sorry to read of your health problems and of your decision to leave the forum. I’ve always seen you as one of the good guys. I too gave up on the forum but for differing reasons, but I did leave the door ajar. I’m glad I did, as a consequence I have made fantastic friendships with ‘real people’ and not just an avatar. Take a break but as said, keep the door ajar.

All the very best,

Richard
These users thanked the author Richard D for the post:
Stuart1
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:08 pm Don't go.

Stay.

Not owning a CW is absolutely not an impediment to being here.

Chatting with us watch geeks has surely got to be good for the soul.

I'm really sorry to hear of your medical situation Des, and feel for you greatly.

You will be sorely missed, if you do go.

Guy

PS> apologies for the succinct message; my gut feeling.

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk
+1..
These users thanked the author Thunder1 for the post (total 2):
Stuart1Bahnstormer_vRS
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Des, I hope very much you keep your options open, and it turns out to au revoir, rather than adieu.
This is a very friendly place, and I don't think I've ever consciously realised you don't own a CW Never say never!

Good luck for the future. :D

It reminds me of that old Spike Jones classic. He has so many (you need a certain sense of humour) and it took me a while to find the right one "None but the lonely heart".

Cut to 2:50. "he didn't even say goodbye".
Last edited by Bahnstormer_vRS on Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed YouTube link
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by Stif »

Really sad to hear you're leaving Des, in my short time here you've stood out as one of the stars of the place. I can't imagine the impact your arthritis must have on you, but hope you and your doctors are able to get it under control to offer some relief.

Best wishes for the future.
- Grant

"There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently, that which should not be done at all."

Developer of mobile watch app WristCheck - find out more at wristcheck.app
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by kiter65 »

No need for goodbyes Des, just hang around, pop in when you want, would hate to think in 6 months time you wanted to pop back and didn’t because you said your goodbyes.
You are not alone in not owning a CW, I believe a few on here don’t, I’m one of them
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

I think the last time I bought a new CW watch was around 10 years ago.

I don't particularly feel like an imposter.

Stick around. :thumbup:
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

I'm sorry to hear about your medical issues and wish you all the best for a positive outcome.

You've clearly been very invested in this forum over the last few years and I can understand why you might wish to step back and invest some time in other pursuits. Again the best of luck in this endeavour.

I can only reiterate what other have said about staying connected here. It doesn't have to be a binary decision of staying or leaving, there is a halfway house so to speak. I for one have been posting less recently and feel quite content with that. I do however continue to read the forum on a fairly regular basis and will still post occasionally if some topic stirs me enough to log in and contribute. Stay as a 'read only' member if you wish and maybe down the line you'll feel reenergised to post about your new pursuits and adventures.
Tim