COSC certification for the Sealander?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Clandeboye

COSC certification for the Sealander?

Post by Clandeboye »

I am contemplating a Sealander GMT as my next CW purchase. This would be a daily wearer/dress watch, and the one I would choose for long distance travel by airplane. I have several diver watches with ratings to 600 meters, so don't need this one to exceed the 150 meters currently specified. HOWEVER, the Anthropocene GMT, with a 600 meter dive rating, a translucent sapphire dial, and a rotating bezel, is only priced at 100 dollars (Canadian) more than this watch. So how about a bit more for my money on the Sealander, like a COSC certification? For the small amount extra it would cost, this would elevate the watch in to the realm where it offered better value for money in my opinion. In fact traveling and keeping to flight and meeting schedules requires more precision in timekeeping than diving, since longer intervals are involved, and there is often less opportunity to fiddle with winding and resetting.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: COSC certification for the Sealander?

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Well, your post does rather read as though you either don’t think the Sealander GMT is good value, or else you want something for nothing. A COSC version is always a possibility somewhere down the line, I suppose. However, the version of this new movement (SW330-2) used in the current watch is perfectly adequate for work and travel. I know that because I have one and wear it a lot. I can assure you that it represents excellent value for money. And mine performs within COSC specs anyway.

If they did bring out a COSC version there would be an extra cost implication; be in no doubt about that.

PS. Why not pop over to the Member Introduction section and tell us more about yourself and your other watches?
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

There is/was the Sealander GMT LE with the sapphire dial and COSC movement. There are 200 of them out there, though the one I know of to sell, sold for a premium to the release price.
https://cwarchive.knack.com/cwarchive#m ... 01ef89c52/
These users thanked the author thomcat00 for the post:
Amor Vincit Omnia
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
Amor Vincit Omnia

^^^ Thanks, I had forgotten about that one. It was certainly more expensive than the standard model, though.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
thomcat00
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

Is it correct that there is only 100 CAD difference? Are you comparing bracelet against bracelet rather than one with a strap as there is a difference in GBP of around £200.

Maybe from the other angle the sealander is good value anyway and the Anthropocene a steal.
These users thanked the author A1soknownas for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
WileyECoyote
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 10

Post by WileyECoyote »

You may wish to remember that there are aesthetic differences between the Anthropocene & Sealander GMT. Both are fine watches by the way. I do own a Sealander GMT & love the way that it sits on my wrist. By that I am saying the Sealander has a lower profile than many dive watches & sits very nicely under the cuff of a long sleeve shirt! As for the Cosc certification, I often think that we may put too much emphasis on that. My experience of Sealander GMT ownership has been similar to Steve’s. My Sealander operates well within Cosc specifications. I have traveled with mine as it being the only watch that I took along for my trip. The Sealander has been more than adequate to keep up with flight schedules but I could say that about any of the Christopher Ward watches that I own. I do like the GMT feature for travel & plan to take the Sealander on my vacation to Kauai next March, which would be four time zones removed from where I live!

Delmar
These users thanked the author WileyECoyote for the post:
Amor Vincit Omnia
C60-Trident Atoll LE/Trident Pro 600
C65-AM GT LE/Super Compressor
C63 GMT Sealander/2023 Forum LE
C1 Russell Black Dial/C1 Morgan 3 Wheeler Chronometer/C8 Pilot Revival LE
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

Would a few seconds a day make you miss a flight while traveling? Not really.

Per the SW330-2 data sheet the isochronism is +- 15 sec per day. Average +- 5 sec per day for the base configuration (which is elaboré by the way). Both the Sealander, Aquitaine and C60 GMT have the same movement. It really boils down to whether or not a rotating bezel matters to you (for tracking 3 time zones) or the esthetics. Size also plays a part. The C60s are all 42, the Aquitaines are 41 and the Sealander are 39. No matter which way you go I don't think you can go wrong. They are all solid watches.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
downer

Post by downer »

If you are travelling across time zones and you want the main hour hand to reflect the local time, you’re going to need to stop the watch to reset the time each time you change zones.

Therefore, unless you have another accurate time source, the COSC question is all a bit theoretical…
These users thanked the author downer for the post (total 3):
Amor Vincit Omniasuicidal_orangetikkathree
Richard
Amor Vincit Omnia

downer wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:59 pm If you are travelling across time zones and you want the main hour hand to reflect the local time, you’re going to need…
…a traveller’s or “true” GMT with independently adjustable hour hand. It’s a different ball-game, more expensive and CW have never made one.
Steve

ScofieldReturns
Senior
Senior

Post by ScofieldReturns »

thomcat00 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:24 am There is/was the Sealander GMT LE with the sapphire dial and COSC movement. There are 200 of them out there, though the one I know of to sell, sold for a premium to the release price.
Heads up for anyone interested, mine is about to be listed for sale, just haven't gotten around to it yet. Feel free to reach out to me about it
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by NationOfLaws »

ScofieldReturns wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:01 pm
thomcat00 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:24 am There is/was the Sealander GMT LE with the sapphire dial and COSC movement. There are 200 of them out there, though the one I know of to sell, sold for a premium to the release price.
Heads up for anyone interested, mine is about to be listed for sale, just haven't gotten around to it yet. Feel free to reach out to me about it
I love mine. Good luck with the sale
These users thanked the author NationOfLaws for the post:
ScofieldReturns
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by NationOfLaws »

I noticed last night that there’s one on eBay at the moment.
Clandeboye

Post by Clandeboye »

Thanks to all for your feedback. No, I am not looking for something for nothing, as one reply suggested. Mike France indicated that COSC certification only costs CW about 50 dollars, so getting this level of tuning would not add tremendously to the price of the watch. I have a C60 #tide which is COSC certified, and in my view it adds extrinsic value to the watch, since it reflects on its inherent accuracy. I was only suggesting that adding COSC certification would actually increase the value proposition of the Sealander, which is something that CW has been delivering consistently, with the superb quality they offer at their selling prices. With a C30 Trident and a C60 # tide already in hand, I just though the "chronometer" designation on the Sealander GMT would elevate it a bit against those two watches, or against the Rolex Explorer that it is so frequently compared to.
These users thanked the author Clandeboye for the post:
albionphoto
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

The Sealander is a great value watch in all models. I agree it would add some cache' if it was COSC.

However, although the Sealander is a nice value as is, would it be worth it if the cost is is £200-£250 more? If there is a cost, plus shipping back and forth then the total must be times X3 markup (using CW's standard procedure) added to the current retail.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by NationOfLaws »

I absolutely would have passed on a Sealander if the price was higher than it was already. Great watch priced appropriately.