Some news from our CEO Mike France about Bel Canto

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Some news from our CEO Mike France about Bel Canto

Post by JAFO »

Personally I can't see how anyone could think the Bel Canto movement will be limited. I've no idea how much it cost CW to develop it, but surely it was more than the cost recouped in the small number of the Bel Canto sold so far.

The latest email suggested to me a variation on the original BC. Maybe the striking movement could be hidden behind an attractive dress watch dial. Who knows? I'm sure it will be attractive. I'm sure it won't depress the value of the initial release. I would like to see the next wave. It may not be for me, but i will certainly enjoy seeing it.
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post (total 2):
NationOfLawswookiechew23
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by NationOfLaws »

DavidHRC wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:53 pm I ordered one and STILL got the solicitation. I have to be honest, this (possibly now) mass production rustles me. The uniqueness and exclusivity of this watch are much of what attracted me. After all, it is a collectible more than an everyday watch. Now it portends to be less limited than the "Tiffany" dial or many other limited CWs, especially if 2500 are made. (One poster above says that's the backlog list). On top of 600? I hope they somehow make clear that the "mass production" runs (if they materialize) are somehow different. If demand rules the order at CW, then I want a Ukraine watch and a Tiffany dial. :thumbup:
The Tiffany dial is actually a great analogy for what this is likely to be, which is a different color run of a widely available watch. There are non-limited edition sealander 36s, you’ll just have one of a limited edition color Bel Canto.
wookiechew23
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Post by wookiechew23 »

nbg wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:37 pm The mailing list needs tidying up! :)

I have received the email - I already have a blue Bel Canto on order, for delivery early December. I paid and selected the serial number and approximate delivery date, before the watch was on the CW website.
I'm in exactly the same boat - chose the serial number and paid for it before it was even on the website, and still got the email! Looks like it just went out to everyone on their mailing list.

I personally don't mind them making many more of these. It'll be cool to see all the variations, and the people who ordered from the initial runs will still have limited edition versions of this watch. I bought the Bel Canto because I loved the design and idea behind it, not because it was limited - getting it on the wrists of more people who want it seems like a good thing to me.
watchaholic wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:43 pm
Sorry to have to agree with the above post, but exclusivity is always a factor in these kinds of offerings. It is after all, only human to want what we can’t have. If they are going to have a bigger run they should at least keep the blue and green as limited productions. That is after all what the original purchasers were told/promised.
Also, I think Mike France confirmed that the blue and green would remains as limited editions, with future versions taking on different colors and designs (I can't remember exactly where this was, but this was on one of the many interviews with him on Youtube after the Bel Canto was released). So hopefully that makes those who were drawn to it because of its limited nature feel a little bit better about it.
Arun

C63 Sealander GMT, C63 Sapphire GMT COSC LE, C1 Bel Canto, C12 Twelve Ti
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

JAFO wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:45 pm I'm sure it won't depress the value of the initial release.
I think you will be wrong
These users thanked the author golfjunky for the post:
FloridaPhil
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

golfjunky wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:38 pm Well that’s a poke in the eye with a sh1tty stick to all those who thought they were getting something limited.
We’ll that may be the case Greg for the type of person that thinks “oh limited edition exclusive, I want one”. Followed by “I have one of these mate, exclusive mate, innit” as they parade around showing the watch to all interested parties. :lol:

For me the limited edition aspect had absolutely zero impact on my decision to buy one. I saw the watch, thought it looked rather cool and different to other watches I have and decided to buy one. It matters not a jot to me whether CW make 300 or 3,000. :D

Mind you most of my regularly worn watches are mass market and widely available. :)

Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post (total 5):
NationOfLawswookiechew23golfjunkytikkathreealbionphoto
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by NationOfLaws »

To be clear I don’t really care if someone buys something because it’s rare but the mental image of someone walking around a party talking about how rare their watch is made me laugh
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

it’s rare but the mental image of someone walking around a party talking about how rare their watch is made me laugh
Oh, is that the time? I really need to be somewhere else. :lol:
These users thanked the author exHowfener for the post (total 2):
NationOfLawsgannet
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

NationOfLaws wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:41 pm To be clear I don’t really care if someone buys something because it’s rare but the mental image of someone walking around a party talking about how rare their watch is made me laugh
I agree. But given the numbers which look like being produced, would be quite funny if the person they spoke to said “Snap, I’ve got one too!”
These users thanked the author TheBeatles for the post:
nbg
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
suicidal_orange
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by suicidal_orange »

I got this e-maill too (I did sign up as it suggested more info) but it's much like the prospect of an FLE - do I want to express further interest in a watch without knowing what it is, how much it costs or even what colour it is? Not really :?
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

I think that additional editions of the Bel Canto makes financial sense, helps to clear debit and hopefully secures a future for the brand.
These users thanked the author Richard D for the post (total 2):
tikkathreealbionphoto
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

Make hay while the sun shines and all that. CW will milk this for all it's worth, and so they should! It's a game changer for them and they need to capitalise on the opportunity.
These users thanked the author jtc for the post (total 4):
Richard DNationOfLawsDavid. Salbionphoto
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I like the blue but didn’t go for it. I’m not playing silly rainbow games, but if they make an open series with a nice black dial it might be worth considering.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
Richard D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

jtc wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:55 pm Make hay while the sun shines and all that. CW will milk this for all it's worth, and so they should! It's a game changer for them and they need to capitalise on the opportunity.
That's absolutely right. CW, the brand, has discovered sliced bread and they should sell it to everyone who wants it. :clap: :clap: :clap:
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post (total 3):
David. SNationOfLawsalbionphoto
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

Agreed. I'm one of those who clicked the button, I'd like to pick one up next year.
But absolutely the blue and green original LE's should not be part of that. LE means LE.
A nice dark red one would be cool :)
These users thanked the author Noush for the post:
Squalus
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
Squalus
Expert
Expert

Post by Squalus »

Interest in further LE Bel Cantos has been quickly established. Considering there are 2500+ on the waiting list, I suspect the reason of this mass e-mail is to gauge if there is enough interest for an open series chiming watch.
These users thanked the author Squalus for the post:
tikkathree