Nothing more, nothing less...

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Nothing more, nothing less...

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Madness, of course!

I’ve been wearing this watch for 17 days straight and I have no particular inclination to stop doing so at the moment. Every day I tell myself I should pick up a different watch from the box, and every day I say I will do it tomorrow. I take it off to shower and wash the dishes, and if I go for a swim. It loses two seconds a day and has been reset once, 15 seconds fast to take the rate into account.

In a few weeks I will be off to Cyprus again for Christmas and New Year. I have no doubt that I will take the Ulysse Nardin, but I could just as easily take this along with a hybrid strap for when I go out on long walks and wrists get a bit sweaty. I won’t, but I could.

I don’t spend all day staring at it or fretting about it; it is just there whenever I want to see the time. I’m just incredibly comfortable with it. What was it Gabriel said to Bathsheba? “Whenever I look up, there you will be.” I don’t think I will ever have a one-watch, but this would be one heck of a candidate. Hence the quote from the song.

Do you ever wear just one watch for that long? Does it ever just become part of you?

0F22A44D-4B92-4E93-9AE3-1CD601DF359F.jpeg
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post (total 9):
Clach77jkbarnestikkathreePaul DrawmerMiniMpiwatchaholicRichard DKevinBJasperCat
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Nothing more, nothing less...

Post by JAFO »

Clearly you are becoming a creature of habit, Steve.

Take a different watch for your dip in the sea on Christmas Day, otherwise you will be fine. :D
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
Amor Vincit Omnia
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:22 pm Do you ever wear just one watch for that long? Does it ever just become part of you?
Yes! My C65 TV is for me what your C9 SS is for you. I completely relate to this post.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
Amor Vincit Omnia
Drew
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

A watch, seventeen days straight, how disgusting! I'd do it with a pair of underwear, but never a watch. :lol: :lol:

Des
These users thanked the author strapline for the post (total 4):
GreatpotfarmAmor Vincit OmniaiainLeon O
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Seventeen days is a bit of a stretch for me Steve, but I have managed six days straight (so far) with my #BelCanto; which is as long as I've had it.

My recent record though, of which I have recollection, is with my Elliot Brown Bloxworth Heritage Diver Founders Edition that I wore on holiday to the Costa Del Sol at the end of September / early October; time worn eight days.

Guy
These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post (total 3):
MiniMpiAmor Vincit OmniaStif
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Greatpotfarm
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Greatpotfarm »

I have a daily driver that is on my wrist constantly unless an occasion demands something different. Although I do purposefully search out those occasions, and sometimes even invent them, it is certainly comforting and practical knowing a gage well enough that the time can be inferred from only a momentary glance - as is the case with a daily driver...
These users thanked the author Greatpotfarm for the post:
Amor Vincit Omnia
Top of the minute to you all,
Dan
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

Good thread Steve ;)

Great to see your C9 SS becoming one with you, a stunner of a watch.
I can't say I've reached the heady heights of 17 days straight wear of one watch yet...
But I do think that I feel like that about a couple of watches in my collection.
My Omega Seamaster 300m for sure and my C65 SH21 LE, I could very contently wear either of these for considerable periods of time.
These users thanked the author MiniMpi for the post:
Amor Vincit Omnia
Danbailey007
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by Danbailey007 »

Since getting my Aqua Terra last year it's been pretty much the only watch I've worn, other than a few occasions that called for something slightly more robust. It's such a versatile watch that I'm happy to wear it for a meal out or taking my daughter to the park.

I could (and probably should) move my other watches on to better homes where they will get used more but always looking for the next one instead :oops:
These users thanked the author Danbailey007 for the post (total 2):
Amor Vincit OmniaMiniMpi
Dan

Citizen Eco-Drive
Elliot Brown Tyneham
Multiple Fossil
CW C60 Bronze
Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra
Omega Seamaster 300M No Time To Die
Omega x Swatch MoonSwatch - Moon & Venus & Mars
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

Nothing more, nothing less is a great title.

There are watches I wear and always feel like I’ve got a really cool / beautiful/ exciting / new watch on. I love the feeling. I notice them against what I’m wearing or I think about them when I check the time. As soon as I put them on they feel new.

Then there’s my sandstorm. As soon as I put it on I feel like I’ve always been wearing it. So wearing it for longer periods of time is very normal. It’s not just ‘the watch most me’ in the collection, it’s just ‘my watch’.
280F959A-B870-4745-87F6-65DBEFAD8832.jpeg

Remind me again why I have a box full of others??? :ka:
These users thanked the author missF for the post (total 2):
MiniMpiAmor Vincit Omnia
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I will need to add a "streak" function to my watch database.
I just checked, and the most I can see is 8. There's a few streaks of 5 to 7 wears.

I am happy to wear the same watch, but I just feel that I need to use more watches and change after a few days. It also can make a difference what I'm doing, so I'm out for a meal tonight. I will wear something a little more dressy to slip under the dress cuff. (courtesy of Tim Mosso), so it's a slim Eterna.
IMG_20221118_105639212~2.jpg
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
Amor Vincit Omnia
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Noush »

I'm glad to hear you're having something of a second honeymoon with that one. Cool!
I'm struggling to get around the idea for myself, I'm too much into variety generally. Ummm, including changes of underwear.....*cough*....

Seriously though, if I look at the watch box and think in terms of "Could I?" then maybe the Formex. But I wouldn't :)
These users thanked the author Noush for the post (total 2):
Amor Vincit Omniastrapline
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

In the last few years the only ones that have had any sort of long run have been the apple watch then the Tag Heuer connected and more recently the galaxy 5. Not very good for someone who loves watches eh! :oops:
These users thanked the author stefs for the post:
Amor Vincit Omnia
Cheers now, Paul
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:22 pm Do you ever wear just one watch for that long?
Yes
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:22 pm Does it ever just become part of you?
No
These users thanked the author Richard D for the post (total 2):
Amor Vincit Omniaasqwerth
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
DavidHRC

Post by DavidHRC »

Believe it or not, when I find myself on a streak that won't allow me to consider wearing one of my other fine watches, I consider selling the streaker. I have done this. On only two occasions I later regretted the sale. I'm currently looking for another Eterna Kon Tiki with the topo dial and brown stitched leather strap, and a black dial Omega Seamaster (quartz, believe it or not).
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

I wore this every single day for 7 years straight. It was indeed a part of me. I hardly ever thought about it, it was just my watch and I put it on every morning and took it off every night. It was a different time in my life regarding my relationship with watches. My only other watch was a vintage Omega reserved for special occasions.

5C07B199-81B6-414A-A6E2-E0E041B6D815.jpeg
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925