C1 Bel Canto (Green)

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
WileyECoyote
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 10

Re: C1 Bel Canto (Green)

Post by WileyECoyote »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: ā†‘Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:08 am We can bat opinionated remarks back and forth all day. Iā€™ll just say (and this as a non-buyer) that if you donā€™t get the aesthetic you wonā€™t appreciate the watch.

I love it. Iā€™m not buying it, for reasons to do with how Iā€™m funding other thingsā€¦priorities. Otherwise I would have been emailing to reserve, as others did. For purely practical purposes I donā€™t need itā€¦but then I donā€™t need most of my other watches either. It doesnā€™t usually stop me.

Iā€™m writing as an aesthete, not as a practical technophile. Itā€™s beautiful. And yes, Iā€™m an opinionated aesthete.
My feelings exactly! I appreciate the new Bel Canto watches for their beauty & the innovation behind their creation. When I first glimpsed the Bel Canto in blue, the feeling was similar to when I have visited art museums & have been privileged enough to view works by the Renaissance masters. I will never own one of them, but it doesnā€™t mean that I donā€™t appreciate the beauty of the painting or genius of the artist. From a practical standpoint, does the world need fine art? It isnā€™t vital to our survival but does enrich & elevates the human experience. Do I need any of my mechanical watches? Probably not as I got by for decades owning cheap Timex watches that did the job, so to speak. I have friends that tell me that they donā€™t wear a watch because they have their cell phone. True enough. I will echo what has been written, ā€œif you donā€™t get the aesthetic, you wonā€™t appreciate the watch.ā€ If you know much about watches that chime, then you will understand that the Bel Canto offers unbelievable value compared to other watches in that category. I believe that we are living in a golden age of mechanical watch making that could not have been envisioned fifty years ago when quartz watches appeared to signal the end. At the time, quartz was more practical & still is if one doesnā€™t appreciate the aesthetic of mechanical watches! I am glad that not all of the watches are the same. I follow Christopher Ward with interest because as a company they do try to make different watches at relatively affordable prices. The introduction of watches like the Concept & Bel Canto is saying that they can represent more than one niche. What is wrong with that?

Delmar
These users thanked the author WileyECoyote for the post (total 7):
golfjunkyChris375Amor Vincit OmniaJasHalbionphotoJasperCatthomcat00
C60-Trident Atoll LE/Trident Pro 600
C65-AM GT LE/Super Compressor
C63 GMT Sealander/2023 Forum LE
C1 Russell Black Dial/C1 Morgan 3 Wheeler Chronometer/C8 Pilot Revival LE
JasH
Senior
Senior

Post by JasH »

TheBeatles wrote: ā†‘Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:36 pm Iā€™d like to raise my old point about legibility, white hands on white dial etc. Please donā€™t roll your eyes :D
You're 100% correct, and I agree.

It's the only flaw I can find, yet I also understand why it is this way. The aesthetics of this watch are more important than legibility IMO.

I also have other watches, including my absolute favourite, which are hard to read. So it's not a primary attribute for me.

I have very legible watches too for when I want that. Such as this limited one.

These users thanked the author JasH for the post:
WileyECoyote
JasH
Senior
Senior

Post by JasH »

Noush wrote: ā†‘Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:36 pm Actually I wonder whether CW is going to make all that much on Bel Canto. It's a lot of R&D for what is now 600 watches, there might be another colour way, who knows as yet, but just the same.

I'm expecting around 1,500 units. As it's easy enough to make 3 more colours at least.

And they can then use a simpler variant of this movement where it's all behind the dial for a series production model at around Ā£1,500 or so.

So I've no doubts on its profitability.

CW deserve every success with this amazing watch and movement.
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

WileyECoyote wrote: ā†‘Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:38 pm I have friends that tell me that they donā€™t wear a watch because they have their cell phone. True enough.
This is one that I cannot agree with. There are plenty of times/places on this big planet where a phone is not allowed (more common than you would think), not up to the environment (I have trashed probably 20 cell phones over the years and have actually had more than one turn itself off due to extreme cold or heat so I mostly reserve them for emergency use and even then recognize it might not work - the Suunto I had on at the time didn't even blink) or when you are performing almost any task where you need your hands. I can't tell you how many times colleagues that would probably tell you the same thing about watches asks me for the time because it is too inconvenient for them to pull their phone out of their bag.

As far as the Bel Canto goes I think you and Steve have summed it up nicely. I am hands down a function over form type of guy (although looks are important just not at the cost of function). The point of this watch is the form. That is why it doesn't really appeal to me and that is just fine. I think CW leans a little too far in the form column at times (do you hear me with no odd hour marks on GMT bezels!) but in this execution they should have and did go all in on the looks. The complication and the look go hand in hand. Like I said in my initial reaction I'm still glad they did it.
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
WileyECoyote
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
theemaadhatter
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 8

Post by theemaadhatter »

asqwerth wrote: ā†‘Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:11 am
theemaadhatter wrote: ā†‘Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:35 pm
Indeed I am here, and I post occasionally, but most of my online social interaction is tied up on the CWE facebook group and with my channel. I made the first video to give context to chiming watches and the sonnerie au passage specifically, as someone said...oranges to oranges. A watch making ANY sound is an accomplishment. To do it with these materials, with this design, and at this price is unheard of (pun intended). I will have a second video on the Bel Canto alone in the near future.
Hi, Brian. I don't follow watch channels but do sporadically watch some watch videos. I came across your video that provided an in-depth look at the SH21 some time ago. I was impressed that you were a proper watch geek who researched and went into detail on the inner workings of movements.
Appreciate that, thanks for watching.
These users thanked the author theemaadhatter for the post:
0uatiOW
TMH (https://watchcomplications.com)
"it is maddening choosing your outfit based on the watch you want to wear..."
WileyECoyote
Guru
Guru

Post by WileyECoyote »

rkovars wrote: ā†‘Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:16 pm
WileyECoyote wrote: ā†‘Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:38 pm I have friends that tell me that they donā€™t wear a watch because they have their cell phone. True enough.
This is one that I cannot agree with. There are plenty of times/places on this big planet where a phone is not allowed (more common than you would think), not up to the environment (I have trashed probably 20 cell phones over the years and have actually had more than one turn itself off due to extreme cold or heat so I mostly reserve them for emergency use and even then recognize it might not work - the Suunto I had on at the time didn't even blink) or when you are performing almost any task where you need your hands. I can't tell you how many times colleagues that would probably tell you the same thing about watches asks me for the time because it is too inconvenient for them to pull their phone out of their bag.

As far as the Bel Canto goes I think you and Steve have summed it up nicely. I am hands down a function over form type of guy (although looks are important just not at the cost of function). The point of this watch is the form. That is why it doesn't really appeal to me and that is just fine. I think CW leans a little too far in the form column at times (do you hear me with no odd hour marks on GMT bezels!) but in this execution they should have and did go all in on the looks. The complication and the look go hand in hand. Like I said in my initial reaction I'm still glad they did it.
Didnā€™t wish to give the impression that I think a cell phone is a great replacement for wearing a watch to tell the time. Simply repeating this as a reason for not wearing a watch given by some of my friends. I have worn a watch all my life, so I certainly donā€™t see it that way. Actually one thing that appeals to me about mechanical watches is not needing a battery & being powered by my bodyā€™s movements. And, unlike a phone, a watch doesnā€™t track my every movement & is a lot more durable.

Delmar
These users thanked the author WileyECoyote for the post:
rkovars
C60-Trident Atoll LE/Trident Pro 600
C65-AM GT LE/Super Compressor
C63 GMT Sealander/2023 Forum LE
C1 Russell Black Dial/C1 Morgan 3 Wheeler Chronometer/C8 Pilot Revival LE
unforced_error
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 2

Post by unforced_error »

MileyCyrus wrote:Man Iā€™d be kinda ****, the blue is nice, the green is nice too. In AUD these start at $5,000, personally I canā€™t fathom spending that much on something for an off the rack movement. Fair enough if it was going to be super limited but it doesnā€™t seem like that will be the case. You can get some amazing Tudors for that money. Each to their own though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First time I've heard someone call a unique Chronode striking module an "off the rack" movement then go on to praise Tudor as if a Kenissi movement isn't a basic "in-house" movement.
These users thanked the author unforced_error for the post (total 2):
0uatiOWStuart1
C60 Trident Pro 600 COSC SH21 - Red Bezel LE
Bel Canto - Watches@ LE
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

Apparently there are over 2,000 people on the waiting list for the Bel Canto. This is according to Mike France on the recent Casual Watch Review Sunday Social video.
These users thanked the author albionphoto for the post (total 4):
JAFOStuart1WileyECoyoteJasperCat
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

albionphoto wrote: ā†‘Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:57 am Apparently their are over 2,000 people on the waiting list for the Bel Canto. This is according to Mike France on the recent Casual Watch Review Sunday Social video.
Wow. Just wow. :D
Jkpa
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Jkpa »

2000?

Well, CW better start a second production line LOL

Thatā€™s 2000 of which maybe 100 will have a chance unless more watches are made. 100 being just a guess of who will cancel their preorders - of 600 total orders, 100 is a very high number so it seems like 1900+ people wonā€™t have a chance to buy unless CW adds several more colorways or decide to make more blues and greens.
MileyCyrus

Post by MileyCyrus »

unforced_error wrote:
MileyCyrus wrote:Man Iā€™d be kinda ****, the blue is nice, the green is nice too. In AUD these start at $5,000, personally I canā€™t fathom spending that much on something for an off the rack movement. Fair enough if it was going to be super limited but it doesnā€™t seem like that will be the case. You can get some amazing Tudors for that money. Each to their own though.

First time I've heard someone call a unique Chronode striking module an "off the rack" movement then go on to praise Tudor as if a Kenissi movement isn't a basic "in-house" movement.
Module being the keyword. It is still an off the rack movement regardless of how you want to package it.

Iā€™m not praising Tudor, just saying for the same money you can get actual movement worthy of 2022.

Donā€™t be mad.

unforced_error
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 2

Post by unforced_error »

MileyCyrus wrote: ā†‘Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:42 am Module being the keyword. It is still an off the rack movement regardless of how you want to package it.

Iā€™m not praising Tudor, just saying for the same money you can get actual movement worthy of 2022.

Donā€™t be mad.

A movement worthy of 2022 hahaha. Oh you mean an exclusive "in-house" movement that has been farmed out to the likes of Breitling, Chanel, Norqain, Fortis, Tag, and Tudor? A movement that has minimal customization and basic complications?

Seems like true watchmaking is lost on you. I hope you don't think Rolex makes high-end watches and that a Submariner isn't your grail.
These users thanked the author unforced_error for the post:
Stuart1
C60 Trident Pro 600 COSC SH21 - Red Bezel LE
Bel Canto - Watches@ LE
Stuart1
Senior
Senior

Post by Stuart1 »

unforced_error wrote: ā†‘Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:05 am
MileyCyrus wrote: ā†‘Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:42 am Module being the keyword. It is still an off the rack movement regardless of how you want to package it.

Donā€™t be mad.

A movement worthy of 2022 hahaha. Oh you mean an exclusive "in-house" movement that has been farmed out to the likes of Breitling, Chanel, Norqain, Fortis, Tag, and Tudor? A movement that has minimal customization and basic complications?

Seems like true watchmaking is lost on you. I hope you don't think Rolex makes high-end watches and that a Submariner isn't your grail.

To add, Rolex have used Zenith, Valjoux and Cortebert ā€˜Off the shelfā€™ movements in the past, so have Omega, Patek and Zenith. Rolex only became a true in house manufacture in the last 20 years. Look up Aegler movements. I don't think that Rolex have ever made a grand complication.
From the 1970ā€™s onwards the only major movement producer was ETA (Swatch Group), they actually bought out the rest Valjoux,Unitas Lemania and peseux. Historically, under, Swiss law there was a separation between movement manufacturers and watch makers (brands). Auguste Raymond and Unitas, or Eterna and ETA (historically) are good examples.
It was the usual case that watch brands bought in an Ebauche and then modified and decorated for use.
The only reason that you see an increase in number of movement producers is the ETA stopped selling to the rest of the industry. The space left has been filled with Sellita, Soprod etc.
MileyCyrus

Post by MileyCyrus »

unforced_error wrote:

Donā€™t be mad.

Never said it was exclusive, I give the same **** to IWC, Bell and Ross and others. You canā€™t be slapping in **** movements with 36hr power reserves, charging 5k and not expect people to ask WTF. The fact that so many are defending this is kinda nuts IMO, but to each their own.

You can get a lot of watch for 5k these days. Older Speedy, Seamaster, anything from the BB line (except Chrono)

My issue is not with the watch, if you like it go nuts, tbf it does look cool. But to chalk this movement up to anything else than a ā€œlook what we can doā€ stunt is nuts. There is a reason no one makes these, itā€™s a useless complication. Oh and also CW make the movement for the Bell Hora for Meistersinger, no better than Tudor I guess right?

I had a sub, itā€™s a good watch, it fits a purpose, as did my Exp 2. If you like it cool, but there is no utility with this watch.

Sorry if youā€™re mad.

Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

MileyCyrus wrote: ā†‘Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:29 am There is a reason no one makes these, itā€™s a useless complication.
An argument repeated too often tends to lose its impact.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post (total 2):
Stuart1WileyECoyote
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)