Sealander 36mm questions

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Mike2795647
Senior
Senior

Sealander 36mm questions

Post by Mike2795647 »

Hiya all, I’m after some help from you fine folk.

Something not Bel Canto related. I’m looking at picking up one of the black dial 36mm sealanders on bracelet. I’ve heard a rumour that they are having the bracelets updated to the newer single screw version soon. Wondering if anyone can confirm if this is the case and any dates?

Also, does anyone know what the taper on the current version is, I’m hoping it’s similar to the Trident 300 and it’s around the 16-16.5mm area. Single screws aren’t a deal breaker for me, however the taper is.

Cheers all, Mike
Roger32

Re: Sealander 36mm questions

Post by Roger32 »

Hi Mike I believe currently the bracelet is still the twin screw design, which is horrible to be honest, the most miserable sizing experience I have ever had. The taper is lovely 20 to 16, clasp in my opinion is too long however.
These users thanked the author Roger32 for the post:
Mike2795647
Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4
LE-two: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Peteo »

^^ Speaking of... glad others are having issues to and it's not just me. anyone have any tips regarding resizing? I had a go at this yesterday, and I wasn't able to get any of the screws to come. They simply turn freely, but but it seems like the whole pin just spins along with the opposite side. I tried stabilizing one side with another screwdriver, but that was pretty miserable.
Peteo
4x Christopher Ward, 2x Sinn, 2x Omega, 1x A. Lange & Sohne, 1x H. Moser & Cie, 1x Tudor, 1x Towson Watch Company, 1x Baltimore Watch Company. Always looking for watches from Maryland. What's Next?
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

Yep the double screws are a real pain but can be done. You need to get the bracelet stable (I taped it to a block). Then you will need to get a pair of correctly sized Screwdrivers. One to anchor and one will turn with a little bit of effort depending on how much loctite had been used.
Hopefully they will sell them off cheap as I could do with 2 more.
The bracelet on the pro 300 was a joy in comparison
I think the taper is down to 16 and looks just right.
Cheers now, Paul
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by NationOfLaws »

Peteo wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:10 pm ^^ Speaking of... glad others are having issues to and it's not just me. anyone have any tips regarding resizing? I had a go at this yesterday, and I wasn't able to get any of the screws to come. They simply turn freely, but but it seems like the whole pin just spins along with the opposite side. I tried stabilizing one side with another screwdriver, but that was pretty miserable.
I wrote a post about resizing the double screw bracelet. The easiest way is with a tool from Esslinger that was built for double screws. It really isn’t that bad once you get the hang of it.
Roger32

Post by Roger32 »

As with anything I’m sure with experience and the correct tools it’s not too bad but in my opinion it shouldn’t have been released as it is, it’s a mess, pin and collar is much easier and just as secure in my experience.

The 300 bracelet looks much easier with the single sided screw links.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

There are special tools to grip the screw from one side and allow the other to turn. As always the Bergeon version is no doubt capable, but expensive.

I expect there is thread locker involved. I would remove the bracelet, and immerse it in boiling water for a minute, and then I expect the screws will be much easier to deal with, with just two screwdrivers. You wouldn't need the same torque if you soften the glue.

That possible even applies to single screws. They can still be hard to shift if they have used thread locker.
ThatLightChaser

Sealander 36mm questions

Post by ThatLightChaser »

I had no issue resizing my bracelet. You just need two screwdrivers. I braced one in the palm of my left hand while I held it in place with my thumb and fore finger while gripping the bracelet. Then simply unscrewed the other side with the second screwdriver using my free right hand. Removed two links and reassembled in around fifteen minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4
LE-two: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Peteo »

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I went stefs route and taped it to the box it came in while I worked at it with two drivers. Was still a bit annoying but got it in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Peteo for the post:
ThatLightChaser
Peteo
4x Christopher Ward, 2x Sinn, 2x Omega, 1x A. Lange & Sohne, 1x H. Moser & Cie, 1x Tudor, 1x Towson Watch Company, 1x Baltimore Watch Company. Always looking for watches from Maryland. What's Next?
Stokie974

Post by Stokie974 »

Hi Mike, I got mine on Thursday with the twin screw design, not yet tried to size it as waiting for an additional screwdriver in the post. As of last night the black dial is sold out but not sure if the design will have been changed for the next batch release. Good luck.