LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Re: C1 Bel Canto (Green)

Post by Kip »

MileyCyrus wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:20 pm
Noush wrote:
MileyCyrus wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:28 pm In AUD these start at $5,000, personally I can’t fathom spending that much on something for an off the rack movement.
I have a blue BB58 which is a similar price to this. Great watch, love it.
But there is a lot more in the complication here than the stepping up of the movement. Very different beasts bought for very different reasons.
You’re right, one if you want to be reminded when it’s the top of the hour. The other is you want a robust, COSC, in house 70 hr reserve movement.

It dings once an hour folks. Let’s not kid ourselves here, the reason no one does it is because it’s a useless complication. It’s a nice watch at 3k and because it dings it’s now 5k, ok sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think you have missed the point of this and any other watch that has elaborate complications whether fully practical or not. It is obvious that you have no use for nor see the value in the craftsmanship that has gone into the development of this watch or any other complex complication. That is quite alright and you are entitled to your opinion and desires.

If you want a watch that will simply tell the time go buy a McDonald's Happy Meal with a free watch. It will tell you time and probably give you a 2 year battery life Can't get more basic than that. If you want something a bit more fashionable that includes a complication whether it be a date, day date (you can always use a calendar), alarm, chronograph, tourbillion or perhaps even a singing bird than you will pay more.

This is not an "off the rack movement". Yes the base is an SW200, but a heavily modified CWJJ01 module has been adapted to create the FS01 module by remanufacturing 50+ parts and has been to it. All changes to any movement whether Sellita, ETA or in house movements come at a cost. CW could have made these COSC, but chose not to do so to keep the watch more affordable.

Many cost factors go into the price of a watch. R + D plus case materials, design, overhead, straps, overhead etc. You choose what you like at a price point you feel comfortable with. Obviously the C1 Bel Canto is not for you. Just compare apples to apples.
These users thanked the author Kip for the post (total 7):
OllyWChris375JAFOalbionphotoMacdazJasperCatBahnstormer_vRS
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

[Note: I post this realising that Kip has ninja'ed me!]
MileyCyrus wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:16 pm Considering the Tudor is using an in house COSC movement in the BB line and it has a power reserve twice as long.

Yes it is exponentially better, and if you think otherwise you are lying to yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's fine to say, "the Bel Canto is not my thing, I find these chime complications silly and wouldn't pay that much for such a watch".

But if you wish to compare 2 watches objectively to say which is "better" for the price, you can't compare apples (tool/sport/dive watches) with oranges (watches with modern-industrial, semi-skeletonised, dial-side components, plus sound-emitting complications). That just does not make sense at all. They occupy completely different spots on the watch spectrum so your opinion will depend on what you personally are looking to add to your watch collection.

You forget that some of those who want the BC may already have the BB you are talking about - they now want something different that has interested them, not yet another BB.
These users thanked the author asqwerth for the post (total 5):
OllyWChris375JAFOCallerBahnstormer_vRS
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

@kip @asqwerth

I think those points are both correct, which is why I thought I would reflect and consider before commenting. I was surprised at the rapid sell outs of both colours, and with the amazing response from reviewers, especially the Watchfinder guy, whose name escapes tom. It's not Tom, as Tom is his foil in the cosy chats, but I rarely listen to those. Anyway, it's great for CW that there has been this favourable response. I had time to buy both the blue or the green (rather less time than I thought, but I did have time), but decided it's not for me. Warmest congratulations to those who were entranced by the Bel Canto. :D

I think the point being made on WF isn't that the Bel Canto is priced similarly to any particular Tudor (for instance). It was more that this watch produced by Tudor, Cartier, JLC or any other reputable maison would have been priced several times higher.
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

NationOfLaws wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:32 pm It's almost as if getting $1M in revenue in one day was a massive motivator to trying to see if lightning can strike twice.
Ignore me. NationOfLaws is right. According to Guy in another post they will book the revenue in one day as their T&Cs have changed. I guess their financial statement after the Bel Canto Blue and Green is looking very rosy.

The revenue will be spread out over the delivery period since they don't charge until just before despatch. With the launch of the green Bel Canto and deliveries of the Blue stretching out until March 2023 revenue from the blue will stretch until then. Still, it must be nice to know that they have all that income rolling in for the next four months.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by asqwerth »

@JAFO
I think the guy in this youtube video

does a better job of comparing oranges to oranges. See from 10:06 where he compares the price of BC with the prices of other hour chime watches.
Last edited by Bahnstormer_vRS on Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed YouTube link
These users thanked the author asqwerth for the post (total 4):
JAFONoush0uatiOWDavid. S
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW

albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

SlayedDreamer wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:28 pm Yikes I missed out on the blue because i was trying to get some money in place for it, and I missed the green today because i was sleeping. A little advance warning before the green drop would have been preferable.
Why is it so hard to give this company my money?
Get on the wait list. There are bound to be some people who drop out for the second and third batches of the blue and the green isn't scheduled to start delivery until July next year. You might get lucky and if you really want one it's worth a try. Email Matthew.Sewell@christoherward.com. He's the customer service manager and I'm sure he has a list...
Mark
hsukirk
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 0

Post by hsukirk »

albionphoto wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:31 pm
NationOfLaws wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:32 pm It's almost as if getting $1M in revenue in one day was a massive motivator to trying to see if lightning can strike twice.
The revenue will be spread out over the delivery period since they don't charge until just before despatch. With the launch of the green Bel Canto and deliveries of the Blue stretching out until March 2023 revenue from the blue will stretch until then. Still, it must be nice to know that they have all that income rolling in for the next four months.
I think they charge upon pre-order now.
These users thanked the author hsukirk for the post:
albionphoto
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

hsukirk wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:07 pm
albionphoto wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:31 pm
I think they charge upon pre-order now.
Indeed they do. I corrected my earlier post.
Mark
suicidal_orange
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by suicidal_orange »

It's interesting and a bit strange to me that blue and green, two of the most popular colours, were chosen for LEs. Does this suggest that there will never be a standard model, or just that it will be black or white? I also wonder what, if any, other colours will be released as LEs though I guess this would be a closely guarded secret so people don't want to cancel their blue one for another as yet unannounced colour.
willttqs
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by willttqs »

I’ve gong on the waiting list for one. They look amazing
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

I’d like to raise my old point about legibility, white hands on white dial etc. Please don’t roll your eyes :D

No one seems to have mentioned (perhaps a case of Emporer’s New Clothes) the fact that at certain times the hands will disappear when aligned with the silver bars (not sure what to call them) across the dial.

At this price point, it would certainly be a concern for me.

Anyone else agree, if not, feel free to shoot me down in flames! I can take it.
These users thanked the author TheBeatles for the post:
Stuart1
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

asqwerth wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:47 pm @JAFO
I think the guy in this youtube video

does a better job of comparing oranges to oranges. See from 10:06 where he compares the price of BC with the prices of other hour chime watches.
Thanks for posting this asquerth; that's Brian aka @theemaadhatter of this Forum, who's an Admin on the CWE Facebook Group as well.

Guy
These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post (total 2):
JAFOasqwerth
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Thanks for the link, guys and girls. I didn't realise the complication was that expensive. When the WF guy said other brands were multiples more expensive, he really wasn't joking, was he?
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by asqwerth »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:38 pm
Thanks for posting this asquerth; that's Brian aka @theemaadhatter of this Forum, who's an Admin on the CWE Facebook Group as well.

Guy
I had no idea he was a forum member!
These users thanked the author asqwerth for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS

albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

TheBeatles wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:36 pm I’d like to raise my old point about legibility, white hands on white dial etc. Please don’t roll your eyes :D

No one seems to have mentioned (perhaps a case of Emporer’s New Clothes) the fact that at certain times the hands will disappear when aligned with the silver bars (not sure what to call them) across the dial.

At this price point, it would certainly be a concern for me.

Anyone else agree, if not, feel free to shoot me down in flames! I can take it.
I quite agree with you about legibility. There will be times when this won't be the most legible dial. I did wonder if blued hands might have been appropriate. I'm not sure that this is going to be a factor though. I don't think this is a daily driver for anyone. Certainly not for me. It's a special wear piece. Sure I'm going to wear it as a daily driver once in a while (well a few days in a row at most and certainly not for gardening) but I'm not going to worry about legibility. At this price point I feel like you're buying the whole aesthetic and so I'm good. Now, if this was a $4,000 dive watch with that dial then there would be quite a different conversation going on.
These users thanked the author albionphoto for the post:
Stuart1
Mark