NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: Bespoke PSYWAR C63 Sealander Auto

Post by NationOfLaws »

suicidal_orange wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:01 pm
asqwerth wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:47 pm
suicidal_orange wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:13 pm... I'm tempted to see if I can think of 99 variations between price, style, hands, case size and colour to max out the poll :lol:
Polls are not going to work, nor a democracy. You would have to have a take-it-or-leave-it stance.
There would be just one poll where people pick all the options they would potentially buy, just the below would make 24 options:

Purple, burgundy, brown
Trident 300, Trident Pro, Sealander 36, Sealander 40
GMT, Auto

Any option with less than 75 votes gets dropped (to allow for the inevitable "I don't like that shade of purple" drop-outs) while the remainder are designed by someone and then everyone can commit to buying any/all which they would. The one with most buyers is what the forum majority wanted, is it not?

Things work so simply in my mind :D
The way to make a compromise watch that truly nobody would like is to create a sequential series of polls for each possible decision, starting with the model. Then a poll for the dial color, exhibition or closed back, bracelet or strap, hombre or sunburst or matte or pattern, bronze or steel, gmt or no, date or no.

Everyone would hate the process, nobody would want the watch. It would tear the forums asunder. It’d be really funny to watch.
These users thanked the author NationOfLaws for the post:
JAFO
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

NationOfLaws wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:56 pm
The way to make a compromise watch that truly nobody would like is to create a sequential series of polls for each possible decision, starting with the model. Then a poll for the dial color, exhibition or closed back, bracelet or strap, hombre or sunburst or matte or pattern, bronze or steel, gmt or no, date or no.

Everyone would hate the process, nobody would want the watch. It would tear the forums asunder. It’d be really funny to watch.
You obviously weren’t around for the last attempt :D
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by NationOfLaws »

TheBeatles wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:34 am
NationOfLaws wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:56 pm

I wasn’t. Say more.
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

jkbarnes wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:43 pm
mvlow wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:39 pm If CW would do that exact same color dial with the slightly textured look, but without the scratches it would be hot. I would be tempted to buy a general release C63 Sealander with that dial color and texture. I've never been a fan of the scratches for exactly the reason you said.
I’m right with you guys! The issue for me with the ombré dials is that they look damaged, not textured. This one looks textured.
I'm going to have to lend you mine at some point for a month or so. You definitely need to see one in the flesh. It doesn't look damaged at all.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

rkovars wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:48 pm I'm going to have to lend you mine at some point for a month or so. You definitely need to see one in the flesh. It doesn't look damaged at all.
I wouldn’t be surprised at all if it’s far more impressive in the flesh.
Drew
suicidal_orange
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by suicidal_orange »

NationOfLaws wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:22 am
TheBeatles wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:34 am
NationOfLaws wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:56 pmThe way to make a compromise watch that truly nobody would like is to create a sequential series of polls for each possible decision, starting with the model.
I wasn’t. Say more.
There's a whole subforum dedicated to each forum LE where this is exactly what happened, this was the last.
These users thanked the author suicidal_orange for the post:
NationOfLaws
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by NationOfLaws »

suicidal_orange wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:29 pm
NationOfLaws wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:22 am
TheBeatles wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:34 amYou obviously weren’t around for the last attempt :D
I wasn’t. Say more.
There's a whole subforum dedicated to each forum LE where this is exactly what happened, this was the last.
Huh well that probably seemed like a good idea at the time.
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

NationOfLaws wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:34 pm
suicidal_orange wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:29 pm
NationOfLaws wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:22 amI wasn’t. Say more.
Huh well that probably seemed like a good idea at the time.
Well, that wasn’t exactly the most recent attempt…

Settle in for a long and disappointing read, if you dare.

general-discussion/fle-8-design-submiss ... le#p790772

general-discussion/fle-8-design-vote-2- ... le#p795412

general-discussion/fle-8-design-vote-t5 ... it=FLE%208

And actually there are several other threads for the 2019 FLE, which didn’t materialize. These are the first few that came up in the search. I wasn’t around for it, but I thought it was interesting reading.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
suicidal_orange
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by suicidal_orange »

ajax87 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:52 pmAnd actually there are several other threads for the 2019 FLE, which didn’t materialize.
So only a couple of years ago. Not long enough for things to have changed enough to make it worth trying again :(
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

TheBeatles wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:53 pm All these Special/Limited Editions that look amazing, and the Forum can’t agree on one for us. Ironic, isn’t it?
Too many cooks comes to mind.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Richard D wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:58 am Too many cooks comes to mind.
Meandering hypothesis time. I certainly don’t disagree but if we flip the idea a little we discover, perhaps unsurprisingly, that you can’t please everyone. If I designed a watch I would like, I guarantee that a lot of forum members would not like it. And vice-versa, certainly.

Maybe I should design one. Small rectangular hand-winder with rose gold case, black dial, Roman numerals and no lume, anyone? Aye there’s the rub. I can see some members throwing up their hands in horror, just as I would do if someone offered up a big bronze diver with a scratched green dial.

What’s the solution? Who knows? Allowing everyone to vote on everything didn’t work. :-k
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by NationOfLaws »

Other groups seem to make it work. There’s a balance, I think, between open discussion leading to a design by committee that nobody likes and a limited group developing something at least some people would like.

I think the first question one should ask is: if a limited edition watch was offered and you liked it, would you buy it? If there isn’t 2x-3x critical mass then there’s no need to go through a design process.
Amor Vincit Omnia

NationOfLaws wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:09 pm I think the first question one should ask is: if a limited edition watch was offered and you liked it, would you buy it?
A fair question. It does present certain difficulties for people with established and stable collections. I would consider buying it if it fulfilled any wish list criteria I might have, and as long as it didn’t duplicate or render redundant something I already had. However, it is not something I would want commit to from the outset.

That, I believe was a problem in 2019. People went along with the idea in theory until some feature or other that they didn’t like was agreed upon, at which point they dropped out, as I did in 2017 and 2019. 2015 came down to a straight vote between two almost complete designs which were in many ways polar opposites. I ended up buying the one that won, but wouldn’t have touched the other with a barge pole.

I actually worked on the commission group for 2013 and ended up having to help design, discuss and vote on a watch I really didn’t like. Needless to say I never bought the watch I had helped to work on.

I’m not saying that it couldn’t and shouldn’t happen, I am simply highlighting some of the problems inherent in whichever route one chooses to go down. As I said above, you can’t please everyone.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:21 am What’s the solution?
Enjoy what you have.
These users thanked the author Richard D for the post:
Amor Vincit Omnia
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
Amor Vincit Omnia

^^^ Exactly what I intend to do. :thumbup:
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
Richard D
Steve