New 63 running bit fast

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
bulldog2022

Re: New 63 running bit fast

Post by bulldog2022 »

Another update the Watch is now running -1 when laying flat. Is it normal for watches to start loosing time once they have settled in? It was running +2 dial up for a while but slowed down since then. Thanks
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by Leon O »

It's not unusual for watches to slow down as they settle in. -1 second is still very good--it's within specs for a Rolex.

Have you tried dial down?
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
bulldog2022

Post by bulldog2022 »

I tried your suggestion I placed it face down and it does indeed gain time! Dial up it runs about -1
bulldog2022

Post by bulldog2022 »

Yesterday it was showing negative when placed dial up today it’s gone back to being plus now. Could the temperature be effecting things. I find it fascinating it was loosing -1 second now gaining in same position. This is just off the wrist dial up.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

^^^^ Yes, I'll advocate temperature may well affect how accurately a watch run as metal expands and contracts albeit by miniscule amounts, from being hot or cold when not being worn, to being Body Temperature when on the wrist.

I've never read anything to substantiate this, it just seems to be a plausible scenario and I'm surprised that, as far as I can recall, it's a subject that hasn't cropped up in discussion before.

Is there a metallurgist expert in the house?

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
bulldog2022

Post by bulldog2022 »

Thanks for the reply. The only other thing it could have been was that the power reserve was running low and that’s why it dropped to minus rather than positive cannot remember if I wound it or not either way it runs well. Hopefully it’s nothing sinister with the movement lol
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

^^^^ If you're talking of a watch running + or - a second or two per day, then I'll say categorically that it is running absolutely fine.

Just enjoy wearing it. :wink: :wink:

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
ttlpjh

Post by ttlpjh »

Interesting thread, thanks for posting. I wasn’t even aware magnetisation could affect a watch. Gonna check mine now
Ukyo
Junior
Junior

Post by Ukyo »

I just got my red version and I thought I didn't get lucky like I did with my blue version which was avging +1s/day. OOTB, the red one was averaging 10s/day. I checked to see if it was magnetized and it was in some places so I demagnetized it and now it's roughly half at 5s/day. That's kind of weird as usually when my watches are magnetized, it's very fast as in more than 3-4x as fast as if it wasn't magenitzed. In any case, while it's not as good as my blue one, the new red one isn't too bad. Lol
bulldog2022

Post by bulldog2022 »

Mine seems to have settled into a pattern now. Using different positions I can keep it running close to 0/spd. Lying flat overnight gains about +2 seconds on the wrist looses about -1 second so every few days I pop it crown up so it looses -1.5 seconds overnight and keep that pattern going. It did have that weird patch where it lost -2 seconds flat overnight but hasn’t happened since so wondering if power reserve was low or something.
These users thanked the author bulldog2022 for the post:
MiniMpi
bulldog2022

Post by bulldog2022 »

So defo looses time dial up which I’ve read is very unusual? But gains times dial down about +3 is that normal? I’ve tracked it over a long period now.
bulldog2022

Post by bulldog2022 »

Thought ide update again the Watch has now stopped loosing time all together and runs at a steady +1.5 a day. It was so strange it went through a period of running fast then running slow and now balanced out slightly quick so weird.