New 63 running bit fast

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
bulldog2022

New 63 running bit fast

Post by bulldog2022 »

Evening all,

I have taken delivery of a 36mm NEW C63 Sealander. I am checking accuracy using the watch tuner app so far its showing its running at +15 seconds a day which is a little fast really. Another Sealander I used to own was about +2. I used the Lepsi app and it is showing as magnetised could that be what is causing the +15 or do you think this is a regulation issue? Be interested to know if this has happened to anyone else wondering if it could have got magnetised during transit somehow.

Thanks all,
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: New 63 running bit fast

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Good evening and welcome to the forum. Do please go to the Member Introduction section and tell us about yourself.

Regarding the watch, +15 is within stated tolerances for the movement (+/-20). If your watch is magnetised any watchmaker should be able to demagnetise it, or you can buy an inexpensive demagnetising tool online.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
bulldog2022

Post by bulldog2022 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:18 pm Good evening and welcome to the forum. Do please go to the Member Introduction section and tell us about yourself.

Regarding the watch, +15 is within stated tolerances for the movement (+/-20). If your watch is magnetised any watchmaker should be able to demagnetise it, or you can buy an inexpensive demagnetising tool online.
Does +15 sound like a magnetism issue? I wasn't sure if it would be running super fast not just a few seconds. Thanks
Amor Vincit Omnia

bulldog2022 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:28 pm Does +15 sound like a magnetism issue?
No. At the risk of repeating myself it sounds like a SW200 running within manufacturer’s stated specs. They are in the user manual and on the CW website.

Try bringing a small compass up to the watch. If the watch moves the needle it is likely to be magnetised. As stated before, simple fix.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
bulldog2022

Post by bulldog2022 »

I don't have a compass but the Lepsi app is showing magnetism. I will explore the option suggested.
These users thanked the author bulldog2022 for the post:
tikkathree
Amor Vincit Omnia

It could be. I would have expected a magnetised watch to run faster, but I wouldn’t presume to argue with an app. Though mobile phones are in themselves notorious magnetisers of watches.

Another thing to consider is that new movements sometimes take a little time to settle down. Wear it for a couple of weeks and see what it is doing then. Timekeeping might improve, you never know.
Steve

ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

The SW200 is in spec as long as it runs within +-20spd. I have several, one runs +1spd, another +10spd, neither magnetized.

You’ve already stated you confirmed it is magnetized, and watches can absolutely run faster with magnetization, so I’d think if you demag’d it that it should run a little closer to 0spd. Worth a shot!

If demagging it doesn’t affect accuracy, then maybe the app is wrong. And again, +15spd is within spec for the movement.
These users thanked the author ajax87 for the post:
tikkathree
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

bulldog2022 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:38 pm I don't have a compass but the Lepsi app is showing magnetism. I will explore the option suggested.

Welcome to this forum and please keep us updated on progress with your watch. :thumbup: I'm curious to know whether your 15 sec reading was a one-off, whether it was in one, several or all positions or how often you're retesting using your app and what variances you're getting. :thumbdown:

In a man-science kind of way I am delighted when my android app gives me good readings but blame the app entirely when it won't give me a reading of a watch in a particular position. :shock:
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
bulldog2022

Post by bulldog2022 »

Thought I would provide an update. Watch settled at around +9 seconds a day. I did this both manually over 24 hours and using the app they came out about the same. Demagnetiser arrived today passed it over it a couple of times and it dropped to +4 so it must have been magnetised during transit. I have in the past returned a few Christopher wards for running really quick but I suspect that was the issue.

Thanks
These users thanked the author bulldog2022 for the post (total 4):
ajax87MiniMpiLeon Othomcat00
Amor Vincit Omnia

Good news. I’d call that a win.
Steve

ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

bulldog2022 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:04 pm Thought I would provide an update. Watch settled at around +9 seconds a day. I did this both manually over 24 hours and using the app they came out about the same. Demagnetiser arrived today passed it over it a couple of times and it dropped to +4 so it must have been magnetised during transit. I have in the past returned a few Christopher wards for running really quick but I suspect that was the issue.

Thanks
Good news! I received my 36mm Sealander a week ago, and it's been consistently +10spd. I'm OK with that. I certainly didn't pay for a chronometer.

What color did you go with?
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
bulldog2022

Post by bulldog2022 »

ajax87 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:11 pm
bulldog2022 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:04 pm Thought I would provide an update. Watch settled at around +9 seconds a day. I did this both manually over 24 hours and using the app they came out about the same. Demagnetiser arrived today passed it over it a couple of times and it dropped to +4 so it must have been magnetised during transit. I have in the past returned a few Christopher wards for running really quick but I suspect that was the issue.

Thanks
Good news! I received my 36mm Sealander a week ago, and it's been consistently +10spd. I'm OK with that. I certainly didn't pay for a chronometer.

What color did you go with?
I went for the black 36mm on the black leather band. I had originally ordered the new C60 but when it arrived the stainless steel insert was way off to the right no where near lining up. Not the first QC issue I have had with their divers. But their non diver watches seem just fine! No sure if that's been anyone else experience.
bulldog2022

Post by bulldog2022 »

Thought I would give an update. When wearing the watch most of the day it tends to gain or loose around a one second which is very good. In the dial up position it will gain +4 to +5 crown up it loose around 1.5 seconds. Overall its great and I really love the 36mm black dial. In fact its really the only watch I wear now.
These users thanked the author bulldog2022 for the post (total 3):
David. SBahnstormer_vRSthomcat00
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

^^^^ Overall sounds like a good result and great to have another happy customer.

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
camdenhells
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by camdenhells »

bulldog2022 wrote:Thought I would give an update. When wearing the watch most of the day it tends to gain or loose around a one second which is very good. In the dial up position it will gain +4 to +5 crown up it loose around 1.5 seconds. Overall its great and I really love the 36mm black dial. In fact its really the only watch I wear now.
Looking forward to seeing some photos of the 36 black dial version Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk