"Hand distressed" Ombre Dial

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
DavidHRC

"Hand distressed" Ombre Dial

Post by DavidHRC »

I just received a Trident Bronze C60 with the "distressed dial." (Mine is the blue version.) The prominence of a few of the strikes across the left side of the dial creates, in my mind, a complete lack of symmetry that is jarring, This phenomenon is not evident on my watch alone, now that I study the CW easier pictures more closely. Have others had a sense that a few exaggerated marks are an issue? Will they "heal" over time as some sort of patina overtakes the dial?
These users thanked the author DavidHRC for the post (total 2):
Jack52Jcalder68
biggus_richus
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Re: "Hand distressed" Ombre Dial

Post by biggus_richus »

I have one of the original Ombres which to my mind has a single scratch running from 5 to 8 that feels out of place with the rest of the distressing. It felt a single scratch too far!

I’ve grown accustomed to it although it took a while, so I do empathise with you. But they’re there for good; that dial’s not going to change!
992E0077-42BC-4ACF-ADF0-768E27DFDB71.jpeg
Rich.

Breitling | CW | Farer | Formex | Garmin | Marloe | Ming | Omega | Oris | Seiko | Studio Underd0g | Tag Heuer | Timex
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I just got this one, which is not overly ombre. I don't like the heavily distressed dials to be honest.
IMG_20220913_171939734~2.jpg
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

Will they "heal" over time as some sort of patina overtakes the dial?
Pretty much what the post from "Biggus" said, the face won't change at all but I would expect that you will get used to them and they will become less noticeable. I find that's what happens with scratches on the case of my watches - but that might just be me.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

It kind of depends on the viewing angle to some extent. Mine is pretty even though. The pictures make some of the lines stand out more than with the eye.

I should add that the 'hand made' aspect was one of the details that made me pull the trigger in the end. The fact that mine is unique to the other watches in the run was part of the appeal.
20220126_150920326_iOS.jpg
20200922_165745670_iOS (2).jpg
20200917_151018421_iOS (2).jpg
20201019_170256803_iOS (2).jpg
20200924_151308380_iOS (2).jpg
20210121_144354557_iOS (2).jpg
20211214_165251627_iOS (2).jpg
20211216_155411375_iOS (2).jpg
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post (total 2):
Stifwelshlad
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

Mine may be an outlier..the 'distress' seems to be pretty evenly applied..
CW C65 Trident Bronze Ombre(14of500)(1).JPG
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

To me, the whole ethos of the CW Ombre dials is that each dial is unique with the striations varying in intensity, length, direction and number.
DavidHRC wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:00 pm . . . . .The prominence of a few of the strikes across the left side of the dial creates, in my mind, a complete lack of symmetry that is jarring, This phenomenon is not evident on my watch alone, now that I study the CW easier pictures more closely. . . . . Will they "heal" over time as some sort of patina overtakes the dial?
Therefore there will be a lack of symmetry to the pattern.

As to the 'healing' of the dial, if there is any I would expect it to be very slow, as the base metal of the dial is probably brass and the amount of air available to create any oxidation (healing) will be limited. Assuming of course that the bare metal has been exposed and not just a layer of paint.

You are, naturally, able to use the 60/60 Warranty (Terms & Conditions apply) and return the watch for a refund on the grounds that it hasn't met your expectations. You will then be at liberty to reorder a replacement with the hope that the dial has a treatment more to your liking.

Guy
These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post:
ajax87
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by watchaholic »

And this is the reason I have resisted the temptation of the Ombre dials. While I like the distressed look, I thankfully realized before ordering a green Sealander, that to be happy with the purchase, I would need a dozen or so to pick from to find the “perfect” look. Something easier done with actual pictures on the secondary market.
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

Adds character. There are no others like mine :D

Highly doubt there will be any self healing or patination of the dial in the protected encased environment.

4D74DD06-0067-455B-9CD8-18DB94270973.jpeg
These users thanked the author ajax87 for the post (total 2):
JAFOrkovars
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

watchaholic wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:00 am And this is the reason I have resisted the temptation of the Ombre dials. While I like the distressed look, I thankfully realized before ordering a green Sealander, that to be happy with the purchase, I would need a dozen or so to pick from to find the “perfect” look. Something easier done with actual pictures on the secondary market.
I kinda took the opposite view: pot luck with what might arrive. I added a bit of man-logic which guided me that there wouldn't be anything extreme. My C63 Sealander GMT green is only very lightly brushed.
20220921_144642.jpg
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

ajax87 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:54 pm Adds character. There are no others like mine :D

Highly doubt there will be any self healing or patinatiom of the dial in the protected encased environment.

4D74DD06-0067-455B-9CD8-18DB94270973.jpeg
Maybe it's hard to be sure from a sample of just 2, but we both have these green dials with the CW at 12, and both the scratching and the colour fade are very lightly done on both of ours.

edit. I should say a sample of 3, as @tikkathree also has a lightly distressed green version.
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
tikkathree
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

The brass dial base isn’t going to heal or anneal to alleviate the Ombré distressing in any meaningful way. They were meant to carry the hand-made look and remain unique to the individual watch. While there is nothing defectively “wrong” with your watch, if you don’t like how this example looks you can return it and try again with a different one.

The distressed look doesn’t appeal to me in most any context. Hope you find one you like. The CW build quality is excellent.
These users thanked the author thomcat00 for the post:
tikkathree
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I often find "meteorite" dials a disappointment as well. I think if there's too much marking it's seems to detract from the watch.
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by NationOfLaws »

The entire concept of a distressed dial is weird to me. I understand wanting patina where patina may normally occur, but unless a crystal is broken there is no earthly way a dial will be marred naturally. I am positive I have wholly missed the point.
These users thanked the author NationOfLaws for the post:
JAFO
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

NationOfLaws wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:26 pm The entire concept of a distressed dial is weird to me. I understand wanting patina where patina may normally occur, but unless a crystal is broken there is no earthly way a dial will be marred naturally. I am positive I have wholly missed the point.
I don't think it's that much different to any dial treatment though. You can enamel the dial, hand paint it, give it a guilloche or other pattern, give it a linen or other finish, have a sunray effect, or distress it in some way. It's all up to the buyer. I find a degrade colour attractive, and enjoy a lightly distressed finish.