Initial thoughts on a 36mm beauty!

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: Initial thoughts on a 36mm beauty!

Post by tikkathree »

Glad that you're feeling the love for your newest acquisition.
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post:
jkbarnes
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
DavidHRC

Post by DavidHRC »

The sheer joy of this thread -- from poster to commentators, alike -- is amazing to a new member of the board. Quite a community here.
These users thanked the author DavidHRC for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesNoush
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

strapline wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:28 pm Hey Andrew, was just looking over your conclusion concerning the noticeable differences between the C63 and your C65 vintage. Funnily enough you didn't mention the flag only branding on the C63. So my question: how do you like just the twin flags? Do you feel the dial lacks anything by not having Christopher Ward written on it? I know my thoughts but I'm curious to hear yours. Oh...and how are you getting on with having a display caseback on a CW?

Des
Excellent question. I made no mention of branding because it’s never been an issue for me and was in no way a factor in the decision to get the watch. I’ve never had an issue with the word mark nor with its position at 9 o’clock. As a matter of fact, I quite like both the look and the position of the word mark on my C65 TV. I think the font is very clean and modern, contributing to the elegant and timeless look of the C65 TV.

Concerning the C63, with the smaller size of the 36mm, it makes perfect sense to go with the swish only. The dial would look crowded with a word mark, whether at 9 or 12. The raised swish looks perfect. In fact, I think on this particular watch an applied swish would look too busy.

It’s funny you mention the display back. That was definitely part of the appeal of the Sealanders for me. Now that I’m seeing it in the flesh, it’s not quite as exciting as I hoped for. The movement itself is kind of small, and it’s not like it’s particularly impressive to look at. Maybe if it was a manual wind it would be more impressive? Considering that, maybe a solid case back with a cool engraving would have been nicer? Maybe? I’m not losing any sleep over it and it doesn’t effect my opinion of the watch overall.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
strapline
Drew
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

jkbarnes wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:34 pm
Excellent question. I made no mention of branding because it’s never been an issue for me and was in no way a factor in the decision to get the watch. I’ve never had an issue with the word mark nor with its position at 9 o’clock. As a matter of fact, I quite like both the look and the position of the word mark on my C65 TV. I think the font is very clean and modern, contributing to the elegant and timeless look of the C65 TV.

Concerning the C63, with the smaller size of the 36mm, it makes perfect sense to go with the swish only. The dial would look crowded with a word mark, whether at 9 or 12. The raised swish looks perfect. In fact, I think on this particular watch an applied swish would look too busy.

It’s funny you mention the display back. That was definitely part of the appeal of the Sealanders for me. Now that I’m seeing it in the flesh, it’s not quite as exciting as I hoped for. The movement itself is kind of small, and it’s not like it’s particularly impressive to look at. Maybe if it was a manual wind it would be more impressive? Considering that, maybe a solid case back with a cool engraving would have been nicer? Maybe? I’m not losing any sleep over it and it doesn’t effect my opinion of the watch overall.
Thanks for the reply Andrew, and some well made points. I hadn't thought about how small the movement would look given that it's only a 36mm watch. I can see this watch giving you years and years of pleasure, as it should.

Des
These users thanked the author strapline for the post:
jkbarnes
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Top notch acquisition Andrew.

Wear it with pride and I hope the other watches in your collection don't feel put out.

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post:
jkbarnes
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
SebLat

Post by SebLat »

Congratulations for this new piece. The proportions of that 36mm case are on point and the dial is wonderfully clean!
These users thanked the author SebLat for the post:
jkbarnes
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

Somewhat late to the party here, as usual I guess, but a big congrats Andrew. Nice pickup. Chuffed for you!

Looks like you got quite the selection of straps for this monster of the game. Let the fun begin!
These users thanked the author Noush for the post:
jkbarnes
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
camdenhells
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by camdenhells »

Interesting to see how the black dial 36 looks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk