The Bel Canto - Let's speculate

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

The Bel Canto - Let's speculate

Post by albionphoto »

On page 7 of Loupe 26 it was revealed that CW's technical Director Frank Stelzer has been testing the next unique CW. This watch is referred to as the Bel Canto and will be released in November 2022 (maybe, or it may appear at WindUp NYC in late October 2022, who can say). This watch will defintely involve sound in some way. Indeed Bel Canto is Italian for beautiful singing/beautiful song.

No doubt there are people out there who have already seen this watch but for we mere mortals it's time to speculate. So, takes deep breath,...

It will be a Brequet style watch with blue dauphine hands and some form of chime
or
It won't

What do you think? It has to be unique and it has to blow you away...
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Re: The Bel Canto - Let's speculate

Post by timor54 »

JJ01 jump hour movement modified to chime when the hour jumps. This movement has already been released in a modified single handed style by Meistersinger: https://www.christopherwardforum.com/p ... l#p914509

I’d assume that the CW version may have more than one hand, although I guess it could be a jumping hour display that chimes when the hour indicator jumps.
These users thanked the author timor54 for the post:
albionphoto
Tim
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

timor54 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:32 pm JJ01 jump hour movement modified to chime when the hour jumps. This movement has already been released in a modified single handed style by Meistersinger: https://www.christopherwardforum.com/p ... l#p914509

I’d assume that the CW version may have more than one hand, although I guess it could be a jumping hour display that chimes when the hour indicator jumps.
Just clicked through all the links. This sounds delightful!
Drew
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I can't believe that name hasn't been used before. I assume it's a dress watch.
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

I’d absolutely love to see a Jumping Hour with sound!

As I mentioned in another post/thread, one of my big watch regrets is letting my CW Jumping Hour go.

Such a clean dial and like another member mentioned (MissF was it you?), it was fun watching at minute 59 for the hour to jump forward.

At the time I couldn’t gel with the mix of Arabic/Roman numerals on dial. It was the version 1, I think.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

I just hope it has a great chime and doesn’t sound like someone hitting a tin bath with a spoon.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
biggus_richus
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by biggus_richus »

iain wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:27 am I just hope it has a great chime and doesn’t sound like someone hitting a tin bath with a spoon.
I seem to recall hearing or reading (perhaps in an earlier issue of Loupe) that getting the chime to sound 'right' was one of the specific challenges that had to be addressed. It'd be some brass neck calling it the Bel Canto only for it to sound abysmal!
Rich.

Breitling | CW | Farer | Formex | Garmin | Marloe | Ming | Omega | Oris | Seiko | Studio Underd0g | Tag Heuer | Timex
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Would a watch be like a carriage clock, with either a small bell or gong, or do they strike another way? A small gong would be nice I think.
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

JAFO wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:58 am Would a watch be like a carriage clock, with either a small bell or gong, or do they strike another way? A small gong would be nice I think.
Now I'm imagining a monkey wearing a red jacket banging cymbals. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mark
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

iain wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:27 am I just hope it has a great chime and doesn’t sound like someone hitting a tin bath with a spoon.
Something I've never done to be honest but having used one a long time ago.... no, let's not go there. :lol:

TBH the furthest I'd got was envisaging another limited edition signature piece a la Concept.

The question is whether Bel Canto is just a working title or whether it will reflect the character of the watch.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

albionphoto wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:51 pm
JAFO wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:58 am Would a watch be like a carriage clock, with either a small bell or gong, or do they strike another way? A small gong would be nice I think.
Now I'm imagining a monkey wearing a red jacket banging cymbals. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I was thinking more Bombardier Billy Wells, but I just checked and it says J Arthur Rank had several gong strikers over the years.

I assumed they would actually use a small gong in a watch, like a small Cumberland sausage, but maybe it's a tiny bell.
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

tikkathree wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:07 pm Something I've never done to be honest but having used one a long time ago.... no, let's not go there. :lol:

TBH the furthest I'd got was envisaging another limited edition signature piece a la Concept.

The question is whether Bel Canto is just a working title or whether it will reflect the character of the watch.
The snippet in Loupe 26 says they have been working on optimizing the sound... Mike France has been hinting about a watch that makes some kind of chime for ages too. We should be lucky that he resisted giving the watch a female name. His daughter, Jennifer France, is an accomplished opera singer.

Citizen Kane had Rosebud
Fast and Furious had Eleanor
CW have Jennifer...
I will have to apologize to Mike for this.
Mark
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

I mentioned in another thread that I’m looking forward to this release. I’m hoping for something C1 based that sits in a smart casual category - a bit like the Powerglow. I’m really not too worried about the sound and just hope it doesn’t add too much to the price. I seem to recall Mike saying a while ago that it won’t be cheap……
These users thanked the author Kansas City Milkman for the post:
albionphoto