Discuss Christopher Ward watches
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Early Thoughts on the C60 Trident 300 Pro

Post by NationOfLaws »

IMG_1059.jpg
I received my 40mm green Trident today, the product of a swap I made with the DHL courier. He gave me the Trident, shiny and new from Christopher Ward, and I gave him my green Aquitaine, also shiny and new but headed back for the next nearly-new sale. I'd decided that two Aquitaines was one too many, and I figured a green Trident was a reasonable enough substitute.

Let's talk about the Trident. The green dial is a little more vibrant than the Aquitaine, but less shiny, if that makes sense. It's a deeper, richer green that isn't clouded in the boxed crystal or sapphire bezel of the Aquitaine. It's nice! It isn't nicer than the Aquitaine, per se, it's different. The bezel is simple and clean, and the numbers, incremented in steps of five around the dial, are readable. There's no color contrast on the bezel like I think there used to be. Only white. That's good. The stainless steel ring inside the bezel with the minute tick marks is a really great little design touch. It doesn't rotate with the outer bezel.
IMG_1054.jpg
The handset feels longer and skinnier to me than other CW watches. The arrow on the second hand is a subtle-but-present orange. It provides enough weight and contrast to be readable, but it does not distract. The date wheel is color matched to the dial, and the new Swish logo is painted on in a complimentary white. The light catcher case is the same case we've come to know and love. The crown guard doesn't interfere.

In one last comparison to the Aquitaine, the bracelet here is very similar. The screws are one-sided, which is a big improvement over the two-sided Aquitaine screws. They require quite a bit of force, and I think a large screwdriver. I used my second-largest jewelers screwdriver but could've used a size up. The screws sit flush against the bracelet now, and look really great.
IMG_1057.jpg
IMG_1056.jpg
IMG_1055.jpg
There's more expansion room in CW's best-in-pricepoint tool-less adjustment, too.
IMG_1058.jpg
The watch feels nicely balanced and doesn't sit too proud on the wrist. It's weighty but not heavy. It is water resistant to 1,000 feet which isn't enough for me and my deep diving lifestyle I lead here in the middle of the US. I'm kidding, I can wash my hands with it on, it's fine.

All in all, it's a perfectly cromulent watch that I'm excited to wear. It will not solve world hunger. It will not cause world hunger. It will tell the time within a predictable and acceptable range of variance from day to day. I look forward to knowing roughly what time it is with this watch.
These users thanked the author NationOfLaws for the post (total 15):
Richard Dgannetjkbarnesthomcat00welshladJAFOStifrc51ownerDEV.WoulfSellPhy and 5 more users
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: Early Thoughts on the C60 Trident 300 Pro

Post by Richard D »

^^^ thank you, helpful thoughts. I’m very much looking forward to seeing a 300 in the metal.
These users thanked the author Richard D for the post:
NationOfLaws
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Fantastic write up, thank you!
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
NationOfLaws
Drew
ttlpjh

Post by ttlpjh »

Nice. What case size?
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

Very helpful review, Jameson. Thank you. :thumbup:
NationOfLaws wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:22 pm It is water resistant to 1,000 meters
Errr, you might want to fix that. :shifty:
These users thanked the author welshlad for the post:
NationOfLaws
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by NationOfLaws »

welshlad wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:10 pm Very helpful review, Jameson. Thank you. :thumbup:
NationOfLaws wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:22 pm It is water resistant to 1,000 meters
Errr, you might want to fix that. :shifty:
Whoops, fixed.
ttlpjh wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:39 pm Nice. What case size?
40mm. Added to the original post.
These users thanked the author NationOfLaws for the post:
welshlad
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by NationOfLaws »

0E98200D-35B9-4C3C-BCBA-A1BB99AE4322.jpeg
Now with blurry lume shot!
These users thanked the author NationOfLaws for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesStif
WatchMeGo

Post by WatchMeGo »

Thanks for sharing your initial thoughts. Do you think the lume is noticeably improved over other CW offerings or other watches? Just curious.
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by NationOfLaws »

I don’t really know. Maybe! I don’t pay attention to lume all that often because I am a troll who hardly ever leaves the house.
WatchMeGo
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

I enjoyed reading that review along with the humorous flourishes. It elevated it beyond the ordinary watch review. In your lume shot the watch appears to wear bigger than a 40mm watch to me, guess it's the thinner bezel to dial area ratio?! Nice to read something positioned a little above the cromulent.

Des
These users thanked the author strapline for the post (total 2):
NationOfLawsStif
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by NationOfLaws »

I think it feels about the same size as the Dartmouth. They’re only a mm apart size-wise but I think that bezel really does make it seem a little bigger than it is. Not in a bad way, in my opinion.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

A great honest write up Jameson, thank you.

I'm interested in your comment of "The handset feels longer and skinnier to me than other CW watches.".

Perhaps they are compared to, say, the Aquitaine but my understanding from our Zoom Preview, is that the hands and indices are 10% wider than the C60 Trident Pro 600 to allow the use of more lume material.

What do you reckon?

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Didier.O
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by Didier.O »

God I cannot WAIT until my C63 36 arrives, just for that bracelet, that taper, the added microadjustments. Hopefully the screws on that bracelet are also one-side only (really dislike the 2-screw systems - looking at you GS). CW really created a nice competitive advantage for itself with their bracelets, I literally just chose that black dial C63 36 over a GS X261 HAQ last week, after I could sense at the boutique that I could not get a perfect fit with that Grand Seiko bracelet.
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by NationOfLaws »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:45 am A great honest write up Jameson, thank you.

I'm interested in your comment of "The handset feels longer and skinnier to me than other CW watches.".

Perhaps they are compared to, say, the Aquitaine but my understanding from our Zoom Preview, is that the hands and indices are 10% wider than the C60 Trident Pro 600 to allow the use of more lume material.

What do you reckon?

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk
I’ll compare a bit later today once I’m up and about for the day. Might just be an error in perception
Bahnstormer_vRS
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:45 am …but my understanding from our Zoom Preview, is that the hands and indices are 10% wider than the C60 Trident Pro 600 to allow the use of more lume material.
NationOfLaws wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:18 am I’ll compare a bit later today once I’m up and about for the day. Might just be an error in perception
Rikk shared a pic comparing the C60 300 side by side with the C63 and a C65 over on the C60 300 preview thread. Compared to the C63, the batons and hands do indeed look just a little bit thicker. Or maybe it’s just my eyes seeing what I want to see?
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
Stif
Drew