Balancing smartwatch and ‘watch watch’

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Murphy20
Senior
Senior

Balancing smartwatch and ‘watch watch’

Post by Murphy20 »

This is my first ‘new post’, thank you to everyone for accepting me onto the forum since I joined, it’s a very friendly place 👍

So, I’ve got a back op scheduled for the end of this week, and the advice of my consultant is to get up and moving as soon as possible after. I’ve ordered an Apple Watch, as I know I’m going to find the regular ‘stand up and move!’ pings strangely motivating.

The question I have - and this must have been asked a million times - is how do I marry wearing a smart watch with continuing to satisfy my love of the other watches that I have? I don’t want to leave any of my watches unworn for too long, however those Apple rings need to be completed.
These users thanked the author Murphy20 for the post:
Stif
Selfhood begins with a walking away, and love is proved in the letting go.
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: Balancing smartwatch and ‘watch watch’

Post by tikkathree »

Two wrists... two watches? That works for me and the smart watch takes the secondary position on the "wrong" wrist.
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post (total 5):
cincfleetMurphy20LavaineStifFat-Sam
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

Tough one this and I am still trying to find the balance myself!
It would be a big help if you are comfortable with one on each wrist. If not like me then it's tricky.
I am a fan of smart watches as the folks on here know and I moved away from the apple watch to the tag heuer connected because it is more like a 'normal' watch.
However I find I still enjoy both. I just splurged big time on the sealanders so the tag will get some time off for a bit.
These users thanked the author stefs for the post:
Murphy20
Cheers now, Paul
Aladave

Post by Aladave »

I’m a double wrister. I wear a normal watch on my left arm and an Apple Watch on the right wrist. I have a gunmetal gray Apple Watch and always have a very plain black or dark blue band on it in order to make it less noticeable. This works pretty well for me. And, the only people that have ever commented on it say things like “that’s a good idea”.
These users thanked the author Aladave for the post (total 2):
Murphy20Stif
rockchalk06
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by rockchalk06 »

I've been a lightweight watch collector for 25 years, mainly G-shock and Luminox as I never thought there was anything else between 100 and 30k.

Fast forward to the launch of the Apple Watch and then Galaxy watches. I completely dumped everything that wasn't a smart watch and went all in.

My current position with the department has me monitoring 3 numbers, 7 emails, and alerts from 4 different alarm systems. I got so sick of my wrist buzzing, I hated the things. I know I could have turned off notifications, or lightened them, but I was done. Sold my Galaxy 4 watch about a year ago and have gotten back into watches and even got my first auto which is like a disease now.

I have no desire to ever wear another smart watch and even sold my GAB-2100 as I didn't want my watch to have anything to do with my phone. My way of complete disconnect.

None of this probably helps you, but that was my experience.
These users thanked the author rockchalk06 for the post (total 2):
Murphy20keisuke_z
josbrownlie
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by josbrownlie »

Wear one on each wrist as others have already said. I can't get in with it personally and I've tried it a couple of times at least. Let us know how you get on though.
These users thanked the author josbrownlie for the post:
Murphy20
C9 x5, C60 x3, C65 x1, Steinhart x2, CIGA Design, Jean Marcel, WT Author, Breitling & MSTR
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

I couldn’t do both. I ended up putting my one real watch (a CW C5a) away for 3 years while I did the Apple Watch thing. Then I sold it to go all in on watch collecting. I guess it’s all or nothing for me.
These users thanked the author ajax87 for the post:
Murphy20
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

My initial thought is do you really need an Apple smartwatch?

Wouldn’t something like a Fitbit do, as far as alerting you re moving and also be able to monitor some other health stuff?

It doesn’t really look like a watch, therefore on your other wrist you wouldn’t look like a daft chap wearing a watch on each wrist.

A watch on each wrist is only acceptable if worn with long sleeves, as a means of keeping two watches running, on days that you have given the butler a day off.

In some ways I am attracted to the idea of wearing an Apple Watch, but it would be an instead of, rather than an as well as a mechanical watch. Think I would like to try it out first by buying an Apple lookalike, rather than the real thing.

Those that think they have to constantly monitor their emails, really do need to get a different job! :)

Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post (total 3):
Murphy20Stifkeisuke_z
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

I used to wear a fitbit thing on my other wrist a few years ago, but I eventually found it to be a PITA and stopped wearing it.

I have no real desire to go back to it or something similar. However, there is a chap in work who has a similar view, but he wears a smart ring on one of his fingers, which tracks his steps and movements and links to his phone. This sounds ideal, but I've not yet been able to find out the details of what the make/model of the ring is. Does anyone know any more about these rings?
These users thanked the author welshlad for the post:
Murphy20
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

There must be - by now - a small plastic adapter available on eBay that converts your Apple Watch into a carryable device that you can clip onto a belt loop??
(Although there may be so few people who wear real watches that this has never been deemed necessary... :-k ).

If no-one has invented this so far then this is me claiming my royalties as inventor! :lol:
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
Murphy20
Aesculapius
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by Aesculapius »

welshlad wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:50 pm I used to wear a fitbit thing on my other wrist a few years ago, but I eventually found it to be a PITA and stopped wearing it.

I have no real desire to go back to it or something similar. However, there is a chap in work who has a similar view, but he wears a smart ring on one of his fingers, which tracks his steps and movements and links to his phone. This sounds ideal, but I've not yet been able to find out the details of what the make/model of the ring is. Does anyone know any more about these rings?
Try looking at the Oura ring website — could be one of these:

https://ouraring.com/

I can’t wear a watch at work but wanted some way of tracking my recovery after bloody Covid flattened me.

I do have an Apple Watch and it certainly has its uses but I do still miss my “proper” watches too much, so I can’t wear it all the time!!
These users thanked the author Aesculapius for the post (total 3):
Murphy20welshladStrapMeister
Murphy20
Senior
Senior

Post by Murphy20 »

nbg wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:44 pm My initial thought is do you really need an Apple smartwatch?

Wouldn’t something like a Fitbit do, as far as alerting you re moving and also be able to monitor some other health stuff?

It doesn’t really look like a watch, therefore on your other wrist you wouldn’t look like a daft chap wearing a watch on each wrist.

A watch on each wrist is only acceptable if worn with long sleeves, as a means of keeping two watches running, on days that you have given the butler a day off.

In some ways I am attracted to the idea of wearing an Apple Watch, but it would be an instead of, rather than an as well as a mechanical watch. Think I would like to try it out first by buying an Apple lookalike, rather than the real thing.

Those that think they have to constantly monitor their emails, really do need to get a different job! :)

Neil
Love this Neil, thank you, regretfully I don’t need two watches to look like a “daft chap” 😂
Murphy20
Senior
Senior

Post by Murphy20 »

Thanks to everyone for your responses, I imagine I’ll forget to charge up the Apple Watch after a week or two and the whole conundrum will resolve itself that way 😂
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

Aesculapius wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:06 pm Try looking at the Oura ring website — could be one of these:

https://ouraring.com/
Thanks - I think that is the one he has. I shall do some more research to see if this would work for me. :thumbup:
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

I double wrist, although I went for a fitness tracker with some smart watch features (notifications, text messages etc) as it is much smaller than a Galaxy or Apple watch, and to me it wears better than a second full-size watch.
These users thanked the author Lavaine for the post:
Murphy20
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.