New Atoll Special Edition

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
alis_aquilae

Re: New Atoll Special Edition

Post by alis_aquilae »

Hey I'm normally a lurker here but my Atoll came in and its a very special watch. This dial color is insane. Divers probably shouldnt be on leather rally straps but ....oh well.

These users thanked the author alis_aquilae for the post (total 8):
ajax87gannetrkovarsjkbarnesasqwerthMiniMpithomcat00zacharrry
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

This arrived this afternoon. The bracelet is much more "silvery" than the C63 titanium.

The dial really pops.
20220729_190326.jpg
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post (total 4):
JAFOjkbarnesMiniMpithomcat00
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

alis_aquilae wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:28 pm Hey I'm normally a lurker here but my Atoll came in and its a very special watch. This dial color is insane. Divers probably shouldnt be on leather rally straps but ....oh well.

I think it looks great on that rally strap! I have the same strap.
Drew
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

If I didn't currently have a surfeit of watches, I would regret not buying the Atoll even more. It really is a good looking watch. Congratulations to those who struck gold with this one. :D
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
Chris375
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

I adore the "light catcher" case. The dial colour is a delight, I think the logo works nicely.

But;
1. Why can't the case and bracelet be a closer colour match than this and,
2. This bracelet clasp deserves to be slimmer in a way that doesn't leave a great gap between the clasp and the underlying link.
I've taken a photo with the watch reversed to show that it's not my wrist fault!
20220730_121243.jpg
20220730_121224.jpg
20220730_121313.jpg
20220730_122142.jpg
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
Some other brands
alis_aquilae

Post by alis_aquilae »

jkbarnes wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:16 pm

Thanks! I appreciate it!

These users thanked the author alis_aquilae for the post:
MiniMpi
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

alis_aquilae wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:21 pm
jkbarnes wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:16 pm

Thanks! I appreciate it!

And it looks great on the tropic strap, better even!
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
tikkathree
Drew
Tee_Doff

Post by Tee_Doff »

Absolutely stunning dial on this one. So gutted I missed it, even more annoying that so many are passing through eBay at inflated prices for those of us who missed out to fight over.
Newbie to CW watches.
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

This really is a stunning watch and I have taken to it in a way which I really hadn't anticipated.

My previous experiences of new purchases have ranged from "nope, that's not for me, it can go straight back", through to "Wow, I can't get this off my wrist" (C63 Anthropocene, C60 Concept and C60 Elite GMT previously) and plenty of "yeah that's nice, I'll maybe wear it for a day or two and let it grow on me, I'll pack the box away now and find space for the watch on the shelf with the other CW watches to be worn in rotation".

The Atoll has rather taken the top step away from the Anthropocene in claiming total dominance of my wrist time. There's a distinct irony here in that I always wished the Anthropocene a slightly bigger case and initially I felt and still feel the same way about the Atoll and I would have said that my preference was always going to be with the 42/43mm C60 cases: and yet .......

This watch just pops in a way that a small selection of watches seem to. For me it's a combination of case finish, bezel and dial colour and, to an extent, strappage/bracelet.

I'm a huge fan of the light catcher case and I think that the steel-coloured bezel of the Atoll builds this to a crescendo. I know we're having mostly sunny weather but this watch just winks at me, catches my eye and grabs my attention.

The dial colour is superb with the graduation from azure to an indescribably dark blue border. The white-on-black date wheel sits there not claiming any attention until you go looking for it. The orange/red colour of the word AUTOMATIC is so bright that it can take real concentration to read in bright light.

The hands glint and twinkle in a way that shouts "we're light catcher too you know!"

I have an evening routine: I choose my "tomorrow" watch, wind and set it ready for tomorrow. Last night I could select nothing to displace the C63 Atoll and I've made the decision for tomorrow. :thumbup:

I stand by my two minor gripes that the bracelet and case are almost but not quite the same colour of steel, also concerning the bulk of the bottom/back edge of the clasp: in truth I find myself excusing the steel colours as just a trick of the light, another "light catcher" ploy. That clasp though: I'd pay good money to see a real slimming world improvement there.

I need to post today's "CW of the day" photo from my phone. Seriously, for the first time ever I find myself mentally composing an email to Mike and the team at CW to express my appreciation. I may have heard this before but this watch in this case: it really is "Aqua Terra-like". Well done CW, well done.
20220801_153846.jpg
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post (total 8):
straplineajax87OllyWBahnstormer_vRSthomcat00Ttf23zacharrryMiniMpi
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
Some other brands
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

tikkathree wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:37 pm This really is a stunning watch and I have taken to it in a way which I really hadn't anticipated.

…I know we're having mostly sunny weather but this watch just winks at me, catches my eye and grabs my attention.
That’s a fantastic description!

tikkathree wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:37 pm …Seriously, for the first time ever I find myself mentally composing an email to Mike and the team at CW to express my appreciation.
20220801_153846.jpg
You absolutely should! I’m a huge believer in sharing and spreading good as much as possible. If you’re composing something in your head then absolutely follow through with an email to Mike France & the team. People need to hear when they’re doing great things.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
tikkathree
Drew
MichaelMD
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by MichaelMD »

tikkathree wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:37 pm This really is a stunning watch and I have taken to it in a way which I really hadn't anticipated.

20220801_153846.jpg
Looks terrific! Glad to hear you are so enamoured with it. I just got my "despatch" notice today :clap:
These users thanked the author MichaelMD for the post:
tikkathree
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

tikkathree wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:37 pm This really is a stunning watch and I have taken to it in a way which I really hadn't anticipated...
This was a great read, all of it. Your enthusiasm for the watch is palpable. It reads like a review-lite, but is more inventive and creative with its wording and phrasing than many. You should write CW a thank you letter; I'm sure it'll be as well received as your watch was. Wear in the best of health.

Des :D
These users thanked the author strapline for the post (total 2):
jkbarnestikkathree
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
willttqs
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by willttqs »

Quite a few on eBay now it seems, so the auction price will start to fall.

On a side note, when I visited last week CW towers, it was made clear that a few people had decided to cancel their orders as they will not coming through until mid August.

If you want one still, it might be worth emailing cw to see if any are still available.
These users thanked the author willttqs for the post:
tikkathree
Barsomn

Post by Barsomn »

Man I love this thing.

Ordered on bracelet but it wasn't loud enough for casual Friday so I swapped on a Carty silicone strap. For the $9 it's impossible to beat the quality, and the buckle is actually pretty nice too.

First watch in a long time I've been this taken by. I wonder if it will come out of rotation...
These users thanked the author Barsomn for the post (total 5):
ajax87gannetjkbarnesMiniMpigolfjunky
MichaelMD
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by MichaelMD »

So am I officially the last board member to receive one of these? Finally showed up this past Friday and I sized her up this morning. Oh man what a gorgeous watch! Really happy I pulled the trigger that Sunday just before they sold out. This is a keeper for sure. I'm liking it on straps too.

ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author MichaelMD for the post (total 2):
OllyWjkbarnes