Caretaker CWs

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Caretaker CWs

Post by jkbarnes »

As I follow sales of CW watches in the Sales Corner, I find myself more and more wanting to buy a watch from someone less for the watch and more because I want to be a caretaker to a watch from the forum. Does that sound odd? With Ferg’s latest offerings, I found myself thinking I’d really like to have a watch that had been a part of his collection. You can inset any number of asylum members in for Ferg. I’m attracted to the idea of having a watch that has passed through the hands of people I’ve gotten to know here and who have an appreciation for CW.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 7):
JasperCatGar787thomcat00RichMLairdMiniMpiStif
Drew
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Re: Caretaker CWs

Post by TheBeatles »

Nice idea, but none of my CWs are for sale :D
These users thanked the author TheBeatles for the post:
jkbarnes
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by JasperCat »

jkbarnes wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:33 pm As I follow sales of CW watches in the Sales Corner, I find myself more and more wanting to buy a watch from someone less for the watch and more because I want to be a caretaker to a watch from the forum. Does that sound odd? With Ferg’s latest offerings, I found myself thinking I’d really like to have a watch that had been a part of his collection. You can inset any number of asylum members in for Ferg. I’m attracted to the idea of having a watch that has passed through the hands of people I’ve gotten to know here and who have an appreciation for CW.
I know what you mean, and there are quite a few watches that do indeed get passed on from member to member... usually special in some way (prototypes for example), but not always. As I said in my latest SOTC, whilst some watches will remain in our collection (the "keepers"), we are custodians only for some other watches. I'm fine with that, as long as I know they're being worn, loved and looked after :D
C1 - Bel Canto, Grand Malvern 5 Day
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C65 - Cranwell, Super Compressor
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Omega - Aqua Terra, SMP Nekton
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

JasperCat wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:51 pm …As I said in my latest SOTC, whilst some watches will remain in our collection (the "keepers"), we are custodians only for some other watches. I'm fine with that, as long as I know they're being worn, loved and looked after :D
It was your comment that got me thinking about this and prompted this post.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
JasperCat
Drew
Gar787
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

Post by Gar787 »

JasperCat wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:51 pm
jkbarnes wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:33 pm As I follow sales of CW watches in the Sales Corner, I find myself more and more wanting to buy a watch from someone less for the watch and more because I want to be a caretaker to a watch from the forum. Does that sound odd? With Ferg’s latest offerings, I found myself thinking I’d really like to have a watch that had been a part of his collection. You can inset any number of asylum members in for Ferg. I’m attracted to the idea of having a watch that has passed through the hands of people I’ve gotten to know here and who have an appreciation for CW.
I know what you mean, and there are quite a few watches that do indeed get passed on from member to member... usually special in some way (prototypes for example), but not always. As I said in my latest SOTC, whilst some watches will remain in our collection (the "keepers"), we are custodians only for some other watches. I'm fine with that, as long as I know they're being worn, loved and looked after :D
I’m keeping my fingers firmly crossed that that Powerglow is not a ‘keeper!’
These users thanked the author Gar787 for the post (total 2):
JasperCatjkbarnes
PHIL
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

More than half of my CW watches are pre-owned. Most of the used watches I got from their original owners; for at least one I’m the 4th owner - that I know of, which is surprising as it is not yet 3 years old.

[Added]
Some I have purchased from other Forum (or CWA/CWE) members I’ve known, but many I’d not had any contact with prior. Two of the watches, including my first CW, I got via Chrono24 and neither of the sellers were familiar with the FB groups or this Forum.
These users thanked the author thomcat00 for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesJasperCat
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
RichM
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by RichM »

I like this approach! With apologies to Patek Phillipe "you never actually own a Christopher Ward watch, you're merely looking after it for the next forum member".

I've sold one and bought one on the forum and both transactions have been extremely easy.
These users thanked the author RichM for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesalbionphoto
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

I definitely feel a different vibe about owning watches that have previously been with forumites, or selling onto forumites. My LLD came from Paul (stefs) and was always known as Paul’s LLD. I certainly took ownership and wore it for a few glorious years, but the fact that it came from Paul, and the transaction was so friendly, was important in the ownership of the watch. When I sold it recently it was with a bit of trepidation about what Paul would think about the sale!
Likewise, I sold a watch recently to someone who was delighted that it had been owned by a long-standing forumite before them. So I feel personally slightly invested in hoping he enjoys owning ‘my’ watch.

:D
These users thanked the author missF for the post (total 3):
RichMJasperCatjkbarnes
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I think I tend to be a little more pragmatic. When you buy a watch on SC, you are generally buying something that, for whatever reason, the owner doesn’t want anymore. There are exceptions of course, and it’s nice to get something from a respected member who you know will have looked after it.

And the converse, of course, is that once I have decided to let something go I’m not really fussed about who gets it, as long as they pony up the readies.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
JasperCat
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

I’d be interested in a Sales Corner Lineage Thread where people could record the ownership lineage of watches that have been passed on from one forum member to another many times. I’m sure the number of watches that have changed hands more than twice is relatively low, but it’s still fun to think about.

I do quite like the idea of taking possession of a CW from another forum member at some point if the stars align just right.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 3):
JasperCatRichMMiniMpi
Drew
rockchalk06
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by rockchalk06 »

I get it and understand the desire to do so.

Years ago when I first got into Law Enforcement, it was always a desire of us new guys to want the badge number and weapon of one of the guys who had retired and not just quit. Stories told from other senior officers about what the weapon did, went through and just the stories attached to the badge number were always something to want.

Now that I'm a little older, I like to buy watches, guns, fishing reels/rods new and untouched if i can. There is a coolness factor knowing you are the only one who has used it. Every scratch, mark, dent has a story to go with it.
These users thanked the author rockchalk06 for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesJasperCat
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

rockchalk06 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:30 pm …Now that I'm a little older, I like to buy watches, guns, fishing reels/rods new and untouched if i can. There is a coolness factor knowing you are the only one who has used it. Every scratch, mark, dent has a story to go with it.
And that makes total sense. Buying a watch to commemorate something (like say my marriage or my 50th birthday)? I want brand new.

But if an older model that’s no longer available pops up for sale from a forum member, the association with that member is just an added bonus. Like I said, if the stars align for the right watch at the right time for the right price, I’d be excited to have another member’s watch.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 2):
rockchalk06JasperCat
Drew
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

I have many times bought from respected members on the forum and some of those watches have been around the block through these members a few times even. I do like that idea as you know they were looked after and loved and you continue the caretaker role as such ;)
Also when selling a watch, I like it even more when someone I know buys it, makes you feel better inside that they have become the new caretaker.
These users thanked the author MiniMpi for the post (total 3):
jkbarnesJasperCatthomcat00