DHelL's new low and an unwelcome CW CS response

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Re: DHelL's new low and an unwelcome CW CS response

Post by Leon O »

Slightly different...but I'm still holding a grudge against DHL for sending my watch to the house :(
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

albionphoto wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:52 pm
Kip wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:01 pm
From Mike France response on the What would make CW Great? topic on June 23.
On customs duty, I share the pain. We have invested in software to allow duties to be shown at the point-of -purchase just as we now do with taxes. Unfortunately, the (very large) company doing this for us (we will, by the way be one of the first brands in the world to do it) has a software glitch which has prevented us from going live as yet. It hopefully won’t be too long.
I appreciate that CW are making the effort, Kip and thanks for the reminder. Personally, I would want the software to both show and allow the customer to pay the duties and fees at checkout. This may be what CW intend to do and Mike F's comment may not reflect what CW are actually trying to do. Otherwise they are only removing the extent of the surprise in dollars and not removing the failure mode of DHL.
I am certain that is what CW are intending to do.
These users thanked the author Kip for the post:
albionphoto
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

Lawrence wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:52 pm DHL to Canada is flawless. The US market seems to be a real problem child... I'm sorry for your pain.
Without question, the unnecessarily complicated US duty system is at least partly at fault. Canada makes it easy: Watches incur 5% duty on the total value, plus applicable sales taxes for the province the item is shipped to. If I order from CW I know my watch will incur duty and taxes of 10%, plus DHL brokerage fees (which are generally quite low). I expect most other countries do something similar. For whatever reason US Customs has decided that it is in the best interests of the US taxpayer to charge differing rates for each component of the watch.
This, of course , does not absolve DHL for their apparent inability to read the documentation provided by the shipper, or CW's refusal to intervene on the OP's behalf (or CW's continued insistence on using DHL for deliveries to the US for that matter), but it is one more example of government unnecessarily complicating an already difficult process.
These users thanked the author Lavaine for the post:
rc51owner
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Lavaine wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:47 pm
This, of course , does not absolve DHL for their apparent inability to read the documentation provided by the shipper, or CW's refusal to intervene on the OP's behalf (or CW's continued insistence on using DHL for deliveries to the US for that matter), but it is one more example of government unnecessarily complicating an already difficult process.
Yes, the USA system is difficult to calculate. I have no idea why someone at CW would refuse to take of the form.

Having received a few watches and dealing with customs when the showroom was open, I am very familiar with the Watch/Clock Worksheet. My last watch was stopped at customs. I told DHL to check their system for the info. They said it wasn't there (it was) and demanded the form be filled out. I contacted CW and asked if they wanted me to do it or if they would. They said they would take care of it. Next day it was released for final delivery.

My point here is that it probably is best to contact the Customer Service manager directly. They will likely forward to logistics. The consumer should not be dealing with this.
These users thanked the author Kip for the post (total 4):
FloridaPhilalbionphotoLavaineMiniMpi
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Alex r
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Alex r »

Not seen one of the international invoices as have only had watches delivered within the UK, but do the invoices have the EU & US tariff code stated along with the description ?

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

suicidal_orange
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by suicidal_orange »

Alex r wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:41 amNot seen one of the international invoices as have only had watches delivered within the UK, but do the invoices have the EU & US tariff code stated along with the description ?
Yes - you can tell because some packages go through the system perfectly and an invoice is raised for the fees. The problem is when an incompetent person at Customs(?), DHL(?) fails to see the info even while taking a picture of it as in this case, and at that point what can you do.
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

The US HTS is a complex bit of legislation. However, the watch/clock section is well established and so the means to deal with it should be well established too. I'm not absolving DHL in any way; they suck (excuse an Americanism). Delays due to the US Customs happen and that might be due to the work load at Port of New York. Do other entry points like Chicago fare better though? I'm just curious and do DHL at other entry points like Port of Houston or LA make fewer mistakes? I'd love to know.

On a happier note I did finally receive an invoice for payment of duty and fees. Hopefully my watch will be delivered today. I hope there isn't another chapter to this saga like the "delivery to the wrong house" nonsense I've also been experienced. A word to the wise, never disable the "sign for" option. My neighbours are honest people thankfully.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

albionphoto wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:38 am Delays due to the US Customs happen and that might be due to the work load at Port of New York. Do other entry points like Chicago fare better though? I'm just curious and do DHL at other entry points like Port of Houston or LA make fewer mistakes? I'd love to know.
Maybe this is the case? Three of my CWs over the last couple years were over the threshold and required import duty, all 3 sailed through customs with no issue. None through New York. Two entered through Miami (while I was living in FL) and one through Chicago.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
Alex r
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Alex r »

suicidal_orange wrote:
Alex r wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:41 amNot seen one of the international invoices as have only had watches delivered within the UK, but do the invoices have the EU & US tariff code stated along with the description ?
Yes - you can tell because some packages go through the system perfectly and an invoice is raised for the fees. The problem is when an incompetent person at Customs(?), DHL(?) fails to see the info even while taking a picture of it as in this case, and at that point what can you do.
Was just wondering as I ship about 150 plus packages a week from UK through the new York gateway with DHL and have very few issues or delays with customs.
I have more issues with UPS at castle donington where the parts aren't lost so you can make a claim they are in the system they just have no idea where.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Alex r for the post:
suicidal_orange
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

The watch did arrive on Friday. Oddly enough I found it on my doorstep and even though I should have had to sign for it they never rang the bell. They just left the watch and ran. At least it arrived...
c63highlander.jpg
These users thanked the author albionphoto for the post (total 2):
thomcat00Stif
Mark
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by NationOfLaws »

I’ve received about a dozen packages from DHL this year that were signature required. They’ve asked me to sign precisely once.
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

NationOfLaws wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:52 pm I’ve received about a dozen packages from DHL this year that were signature required. They’ve asked me to sign precisely once.
I'm glad it's not just me :D
Mark
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Lavaine »

albionphoto wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:02 pm The watch did arrive on Friday. Oddly enough I found it on my doorstep and even though I should have had to sign for it they never rang the bell. They just left the watch and ran. At least it arrived...
c63highlander.jpg
Lovely Highlander. As much as I'd like to blame the "dump and run" on DHL being terrible (they are), this seems to be a tactic adopted by every courier during COVID, citing employee safety, and none of them seem to be in a rush to restore signature services. I'm sure that by using COVID as an excuse, it at least partially absolves them of lost packages due to no signature, the same way the use "inclement weather" to avoid having to meet contracted delivery times, even when there isn't any bad weather within a 1000 miles of the delivery route.
These users thanked the author Lavaine for the post (total 3):
tikkathreealbionphotoStif
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

Lavaine wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:34 am
albionphoto wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:02 pm The watch did arrive on Friday. Oddly enough I found it on my doorstep and even though I should have had to sign for it they never rang the bell. They just left the watch and ran. At least it arrived...
c63highlander.jpg
Lovely Highlander. As much as I'd like to blame the "dump and run" on DHL being terrible (they are), this seems to be a tactic adopted by every courier during COVID, citing employee safety, and none of them seem to be in a rush to restore signature services. I'm sure that by using COVID as an excuse, it at least partially absolves them of lost packages due to no signature, the same way the use "inclement weather" to avoid having to meet contracted delivery times, even when there isn't any bad weather within a 1000 miles of the delivery route.
The advent and increasing use of camera door bells makes that excuse a bit harder to take these days. In parts of the US package theft is a problem and not following a policy is going to get them in trouble one way or another. Given the way that Covid protocols have "slipped" in the US for whatever reason I'm less inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.
Mark
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I got a shipping notice from DHL today. A watch is now in the UK for delivery tomorrow.

I tried to change the delivery to a collection point, but for some reason it won't send me an email to get a confirmation code. No chat option today either, and the only other option is a premium 0844 number. So I've emailed them, but I will just wait in for a delivery.

Let's hope it comes.