Number of Watches in Collection Question

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
ssholloway21
Senior
Senior

Number of Watches in Collection Question

Post by ssholloway21 »

Hello Everyone! I have been collecting for about 2 1/2 years now and need some advice on number of watches in a collection. I currently stand at 17 (4 nice quartz and the rest are auto) and if I fully execute my strategy I will be at 31. This does not include a few Casio's I have laying around. As stated I do have a collection strategy but is it just crazy to have 31?
Just curious:
1. How many watches are in your collection:
2. Do you have a strategy or just buy what you like?
3. What is the best number to have in your collection?
4. How do you manage your yearly purchases?

Thank you in advance for any guidance/advice.
These users thanked the author ssholloway21 for the post (total 2):
Stifcincfleet
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: Number of Watches in Collection Question

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

The perennial question. Answers on a Post Card please;-

1. Too many :oops: :oops:

2. No strategy, buy what I like :D :D

3. A much debated topic; how long have you got? :-k :-k

4. With difficulty. :lol: :lol:

Time for bed said Zebedee. :wink: :wink:

Guy
These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post (total 8):
Stuart1StrapMeisterrkovarsStifcincfleetThunder1albionphotoROF68
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
ssholloway21
Senior
Senior

Post by ssholloway21 »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:09 am The perennial question. Answers on a Post Card please;-

1. Too many :oops: :oops:

2. No strategy, buy what I like :D :D

3. A much debated topic; how long have you got? :-k :-k

4. With difficulty. :lol: :lol:

Time for bed said Zebedee. :wink: :wink:

Guy
That made me laugh. I was hoping you were going to tell you have like 85 watches so I would not feel so bad. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
These users thanked the author ssholloway21 for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

ssholloway21 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:04 am Just curious:
I’m more a wannabe collector than a collector, so take anything I say with a grain of salt.

1. 4
2. Not really a strategy, but I do have some considerations I need to keep in mind: will any potentially new watch be substantially different enough from my existing watches to not annoy my wife? Are they spaced out enough so as to not arouse suspicion?
3. I think this is different for every person. I think it ought to be a number that allows for the full appreciation and enjoyment of each watch. For me that number would probably be around 5 or 6.
4. No need to, as I don’t make many purchases…yet!
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
ssholloway21
Drew
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by NationOfLaws »

• Started off with a strategy. Wanted a dress watch, a sport watch, a diver, and a beater. Ended up with a sprawl.
  • the number that makes you happy. For me it ought to be like 4-6, but now I have pieces I don’t need but like. I anticipate I’ll sell half of what I own after the dust settles
  • There comes a point where I’m opening a watch box after I purchase one and think “this is stupid”. From that point I stop until it no longer feels stupid
These users thanked the author NationOfLaws for the post:
ssholloway21
Jkpa
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Jkpa »

17 once the Atoll comes in. Just having fun with it - there is no plan.
These users thanked the author Jkpa for the post:
ssholloway21
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by Leon O »

20+ because I'm a sucker for a deal. :shock:

I started with dive watches and moved onto chronographs. Now I'm moving towards watches that are unusual in some aspect.

To satisfy the pictures in a post requirement, here are my Christopher Ward watches:
20220512_073404.jpg
These users thanked the author Leon O for the post (total 2):
ssholloway21Jkpa
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

is it just crazy to have 31?

Yes, thirty-one is a completely ridiculous number and quite probably in some culture somewhere is regarded as extremely unlucky, in very poor taste or suggests personality difficiencies. :oops: Get more. Oh wait.... thirty one? OMG I need to buy another watch quick! :lol:

Just curious:
You don't seriously think I'm going to share that information with the whole of the internet do you? Besides the number is almost constantly changing. :silent:

2. Do you have a strategy or just buy what you like? My long-term strategy is that I buy to try: I don't live near an extensive range of physical watch selling outlets so I lack opportunity to walk in and try it on the wrist. Christopher Ward is designed to pander to my needs. My current strategy is to reduce buy-to-try in favour of brand/model consolidation but I think I've always had a tendency to collect variations so all the C6/C60 Kingfishers, all the C600 Tritechs and on it goes.

3. What is the best number to have in your collection? As in "the best watch"? That doesn't work for me: the reciprocal being that all the other watches would develop an inferiority complex as "second best at best". Seriously.
Or "What number of watches works best" for me? I guess eight might be good. Eight would give me a different watch every day and one left over to keep me away from "this is my Monday watch, this my Tuesday watch and so on".

4. How do you manage your yearly purchases? I get them home, unbox them, size the bracelets and wear and admire 'em. :lol: :lol: Post-pandemic I think I buy fewer but maybe I'm just at that point on the watch buying bell curve where acquisition compulsion is at the low point.

Thank you in advance for any guidance/advice. Thank you for the opportunity. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post:
ssholloway21
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

Ignoring the casios etc I have 3 plus my Tag smartwatch although the atoll is incoming
At one point I was up to mid 40s which I decided was ludicrous.
I still think I have too many really. I think of myself as a someone who wears nice watches but not as a collector as I don't like to have watches sitting there not being worn.
I think there is no magic number and I'm sure if I had unlimited funds I would have many more.
There is no strategy for me and I am constantly fighting the urge for something new that appeals without tying up more and more cash. Hence my turnaround of watches is so high. I don't form a bond with a watch so if I want to try something else then one or more go to make way.
I know people laugh at me, flipper etc but it does mean I have been able to try and enjoy an awful lot of great watches.
These users thanked the author stefs for the post:
tikkathree
FS Bremont solo 37
Cheers now, Paul
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

How many watches make it a collection?
These users thanked the author Mikkei4 for the post:
cincfleet
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Well I have about 18 pairs of footwear and don’t go around saying I have a collection of footwear. :D :lol:

Not sure why watches should be considered a special case just because I have a few.

Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post (total 3):
Wisjkbarnesasqwerth
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by NationOfLaws »

I don’t know that I agree. None of my shoes cost $800 or more. I didn’t spend weeks waiting for the pair of shoes I wanted to pop up on eBay. I didn’t argue with some random British (English? I just realized I don’t know the preferred nomenclature) guy over whether Adidas had lost its way because they tweaked the width of the stripes in their logo.

Some people do that. Sneaker heads are collectors the same way watch collectors are collectors. They might purchase a cheap watch the same way I purchase a shoe. A collection is a collection if you consider it to be one, I think.
These users thanked the author NationOfLaws for the post (total 2):
suicidal_orangethomcat00
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

1. 18 right now, but 2 are on the way out.
2. No strategy! Buy what I like.
3. I feel like 10-12 was ideal for me. I could give a reasonable amount of attention to each watch at that number.
4. How do you manage your yearly purchases? I’m working on exercising willpower a little better… only 1 watch purchased in 2022, and that only with the agreement to sell another.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

1. I honestly don’t know exactly how many, but more than 10, yet definitely fewer than 30. I’ve been interested in watches since 1977, and I still have most every watch I’ve gotten since 1986.

2. No strategy, I buy as I see fit, though I do not aim to have categories represented (you know, people who say a collection should have x, y, and z). I tend to prefer dressier watches. I’ve spent more time lately looking at microbrand watches.

3. Whatever is reasonably manageable so that you can enjoy them. Some people enjoy wearing and showing out, others enjoy gazing at the display box(es), like you might with an art collection.

4. Some years I buy zero, other years I may buy several. See #2.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

1. Enough that I feel the need to judge which to include in the count (30-ish, excluding those that don’t count).
2. BWYL.
3. I don’t know because I haven’t finished buying yet, but I’m over what I think is ideal by some way.
4. Don’t spend money I can’t afford, but no other rules.
These users thanked the author 0uatiOW for the post:
cincfleet
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot