Discuss Christopher Ward watches
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: CW Wish List

Post by NationOfLaws »

Mikkei4 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:33 pm
NationOfLaws wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:20 am What do we want?

Something!

When do we want it?

When we can find 48 more people and then have all 50 of us agree on a watch design!
Sorry but it's not going to happen here. We've tried and tried since the relative failure of the last CWF LE and it's been impossible to get agreement on a design - too many ideas, too many options.

Nice idea but I doubt that CW would trust us again.
Oh yeah, I’m not even remotely serious about it. The people on this forum can’t even agree on which logo they like, I can’t imagine getting 50 of them aligned on a model, color, and modifications enthusiastically enough to clear the watch purchase hurdle.
These users thanked the author NationOfLaws for the post:
jkbarnes
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

NationOfLaws wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:44 pm

Something!

When do we want it?

When we can find 48 more people and then have all 50 of us agree on a watch design!
Sorry but it's not going to happen here. We've tried and tried since the relative failure of the last CWF LE and it's been impossible to get agreement on a design - too many ideas, too many options.

Oh yeah, I’m not even remotely serious about it. The people on this forum can’t even agree on which logo they like, I can’t imagine getting 50 of them aligned on a model, color, and modifications enthusiastically enough to clear the watch purchase hurdle.
FYI, I think the minimum order on bespoke watches is 25. I think the 50 came up because they wanted a bespoke caseback as well as dial and handset.

Back to the OP as long as we are shooting for the fences - I would like to see a true diver's clasp on the more technical divers (say on the Elite for example). A diver's fold over lock with a good extension. I know this will never happen and I find the bracelets really good. I dive with other straps when I need more room. But one can dream.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by NationOfLaws »

Ah got it. 25 is more doable… for someone else to manage.

I’d also like to see more uniformity in their approach to models. For instance, Aquitaine is available in a bunch of colorways, but a handful only in GMT. Ditto for COSC. I’d essentially like a picker of: style, movement, color, bracelet. It’d make navigation a lot easier on the site too.
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

Something!

When do we want it?

I read through the thread of the last attempt at a forum LE, I think 2019-20. You’re right.

CW would absolutely trust us again.

It looks like the CWE Facebook group did it a little different with a couple of their LEs. It looks like just a couple admins came up with an idea they thought would appeal to most, and presented it to the group as a take it or leave it thing. And got enough biters to make it happen.

Maybe someone here should try that with a forum LE.
These users thanked the author ajax87 for the post (total 2):
Bahnstormer_vRSStif
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

Sorry to keep pushing the thread off topic.

I’d like a chronograph, but not a diver. Hoping for a really nice racing chronograph in the Team Brit colors soon. Maybe a reintroduction of the C7 line.
These users thanked the author ajax87 for the post:
jkbarnes
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

ajax87 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:21 am ....
It looks like the CWE Facebook group did it a little different with a couple of their LEs. It looks like just a couple admins came up with an idea they thought would appeal to most, and presented it to the group as a take it or leave it thing. And got enough biters to make it happen.

Maybe someone here should try that with a forum LE.
Sorry if this continues the detour from the topic, but this was done once with the Red 12 FLE, when CW happened to have a bunch of nicely decorated Unitas movements and approached some key people from the forum.

When the small team presented the proposed design to the forum, I recall quite a few "who are you to decide/dictate the design to us" type of posts.
These users thanked the author asqwerth for the post:
Amor Vincit Omnia
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^ Damned if you do and damned if you don’t.

That one was before my time and I was very new to the forum when the C60 competition took place that led to the Scooter and Jag FLEs.

I offered to join the working party that led to the C10 FLE, which submitted everything to a forum-wide vote. I started to lose heart and interest when it became apparent that I was putting in time for something that I would never want to buy.

And there is the nub of the problem; you can’t please everyone. Democracy is great as long as you agree with the majority. And you will inevitably get people dropping out as soon as the voting solidifies on something they don’t like. Quite understandable. After all, I’m really not going to spend hundreds of pounds on something I don’t like just because it has “Forum Limited Edition” on the dial or caseback.

Perhaps the “Here it is, take it or leave it” approach could work. As long as I don’t design it! :lol:
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
scampbell61
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

Although the CWE Sealander is not for me. (I’m not on Facebook anyway). You have to admire their “take it, or leave it” approach to getting it done. The process certainly seems to work.

Their last LE, the C60 Diver was great.

I think that’s the only way to get it done. The last Forum LE was a bit like a committee designing a horse, ending up with a camel. And ultimately ending up with nothing.
These users thanked the author TheBeatles for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

TheBeatles wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:31 am Although the CWE Sealander is not for me. (I’m not on Facebook anyway). You have to admire their “take it, or leave it” approach to getting it done. The process certainly seems to work.

Their last LE, the C60 Diver was great.

I think that’s the only way to get it done. The last Forum LE was a bit like a committee designing a horse, ending up with a camel. And ultimately ending up with nothing.
Agree, Agree, Agree and :lol: about the horse/camel.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:08 am Perhaps the “Here it is, take it or leave it” approach could work. As long as I don’t design it! :lol:
I think that’s the only way it would work. Perhaps create a small working committee charged with designing the watch, all discussion is private among them until they’ve finalized a design they like to present to the forum.

As for the committee, commit as a forum to a small number of members, those interested in being on it throw their hat in the ring, and forum members vote for up to X number. Top vote getters are the committee.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
Stif
Drew
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

At some point you have to stop debating, and make a decision. If you have multiple Atoll type ventures, everyone will get something they like, surely.
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by NationOfLaws »

I actually think the way that other guy is doing it with the Colchester is a great way to think about it. “I want a current production model with some tweaks. Is anyone in?” He got a few responses but not enough to justify an order. There’s his answer. I don’t know that it needs to be over-rotated on. Come up with an idea, float it to the group, buy if there’s interest and don’t if not.
These users thanked the author NationOfLaws for the post:
jkbarnes
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

A two hand, no date 37-39mm x 7-9mm, max 20mm L-L manual dress watch with interesting dial options please.
These users thanked the author golfjunky for the post (total 5):
NationOfLawsjkbarnesAmor Vincit Omniathomcat00Stif
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

golfjunky wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:58 pm A two hand, no date 37-39mm x 7-9mm, max 20mm L-L manual dress watch with interesting dial options please.
I like your thinking, Greg! I have my doubts though, as the previous two attempts (Slimline and 595) didn’t stick around all that long.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by NationOfLaws »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:34 pm
golfjunky wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:58 pm A two hand, no date 37-39mm x 7-9mm, max 20mm L-L manual dress watch with interesting dial options please.
I like your thinking, Greg! I have my doubts though, as the previous two attempts (Slimline and 595) didn’t stick around all that long.
Batted around the idea of picking up a 595 from Ward Hoard but it seemed like it was priced… aggressively