Tribus Watches

A place to discuss other watch-brands
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Tribus Watches

Post by JAFO »

Talk about QC. Given the current sale reductions, I bought another Tribus watch at over 80% off.

It arrived today, but it's not running. What on earth would go wrong with a mechanical watch to make a new watch not run at all?
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

Oh dear what a shame……
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
Gar787
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

Post by Gar787 »

JAFO wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:41 am Talk about QC. Given the current sale reductions, I bought another Tribus watch at over 80% off.

It arrived today, but it's not running. What on earth would go wrong with a mechanical watch to make a new watch not run at all?
Sorry to hear that, I hope they got it sorted for you.

On a brighter note, I ordered an LFC Chronograph for a bereft pal of mine who was gassed in Paris and has been down all week. It came very quickly indeed. I had emailed Tribus to see if Chris could sign the box for my pal and was informed that as they had already despatched the watch, Chris would sign a presentation box when he was next in the office and send it out to me.

Imagine my surprise and delight yesterday when young Jonathon Ward turned up on my doorstep with the said signed watch and presented it to me. Like his brother James, Jon’s a genuine and lovely lad and a credit to the old man.

You can’t knock that for customer service and the watch itself is very good indeed. The Ward’s send their warm regards to all of the Forum folk here and thank you for your support. They hope to be able to launch new products before the end of the year. Fingers crossed for them I say.
These users thanked the author Gar787 for the post (total 7):
ajax87bordermanCalleraudio.billthomcat000uatiOWStif
PHIL
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

JAFO wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:41 am Talk about QC. Given the current sale reductions, I bought another Tribus watch at over 80% off.

Sorry to hear about your DOA watch; that does not inspire confidence in the QC of the brand. Their service appears to be at a high level, so hope they can get you squared away with a dependable watch.
These users thanked the author thomcat00 for the post:
Gar787
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by thomcat00 »

Gar787 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:41 pm You can’t knock that for customer service and the watch itself is very good indeed. The Ward’s send their warm regards to all of the Forum folk here and thank you for your support. They hope to be able to launch new products before the end of the year. Fingers crossed for them I say.
I do hope the Wards and Tribus come back with a new round of releases. Horror stories aside (not to dismiss others’ experiences!), I’ve been very pleased with my watches from the Tribus line.
These users thanked the author thomcat00 for the post (total 3):
Gar787bordermanStif
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Well my DOA Tribus replacement arrived today, running out of the box. They said the original watch was running when returned to them, but it definitely wasn't when I had it. It wouldn't tick when shaken, or when wound.

It's a Liverpool automatic, red dial on a bracelet. The red looks better than I thought it might to be honest, and unlike any other colour in my collrction. I just need to resize the bracelet . They must all be sold now as there's only watches on leather left now, at the same price.

Slightly disappointingly running at +14spd, although that's in tolerance.

The best value left would seem to be all gold watches, not for everyone maybe, but costing less than the bracelet did originally, at over 80% off. A quartz chronograph on the bracelet for £150 is pretty fair value.

It remains to be seen what they come back with in due course. They need a different case design, probably more than one.
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post (total 2):
Gar787thomcat00
Jack52
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 2

Post by Jack52 »

I tried my hardest to buy something during the half price sale but I just think they've missed the mark with their designs and couldn't pull the trigger.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Jack52 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:21 pm I tried my hardest to buy something during the half price sale but I just think they've missed the mark with their designs and couldn't pull the trigger.
Given everything in the current sale was 70% off six months ago, it's hard to see 50% off attracting any existing buyers. They seem to be just selling everything off, and there's not much left at all now. There's a bit of value in some areas I think. Hopefully they will come back with a fresh offering after these have gone, but who knows.

Overall I'm very pleased with what I've bought. I'm waring one today. It's rather like CW selling watches at 70% off - you can always find something interesting even if it's not exactly what you want. The 20mm straps are good straps for £50 in the UK, but that's not exactly a giveaway. I am repeating myself now, rather.
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

My TRI-02 remains my most worn watch this year (rather surprisingly as I was really unsure about it when I ordered it!) I will still complain about it's lack of lume at every opportunity though!

I've found myself wearing my TRI-03 less and less though - it's a fantastic watch, but it's very dressy in comparison to all my others, and I'm not a dressy kinda person so I don't find I pop it on too much now (I did have a formal event yesterday though so popped it on with a full kilt outfit!)

I'd still love to get my hands on a TRI-01 at some point, but want to expand the rest of my collection first before adding another Tribus to it - I agree with you @JAFO, really hoping they can get some new designs out there (and hopefully bring their prices down a bit!). At 70% off I reckon I got a decent deal on my watches - at 50% off they'd have been alright... but their full price definitely looks overpriced by a fair bit!
These users thanked the author Stif for the post (total 2):
JAFOGar787
- Grant

"There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently, that which should not be done at all."

Developer of mobile watch app WristCheck - find out more at wristcheck.app
cwa
Senior
Senior

Post by cwa »

I’m sure it’s been said before, but at 70% off there can’t be any profit?
Add up the costs of components, even when purchasing at volume, the certification, the box, shipping etc.

To me the 70% off sale was a steal, and I managed to get the one I’d had an eye on for a while and had previously thought was over priced. At 70% off it felt underpriced. Interesting enough the few I’ve seen sell on the secondary market at above the sale price have all been the TRI01 models, which was the simplest design.
These users thanked the author cwa for the post:
Gar787
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by thomcat00 »

JAFO wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:30 pm
Jack52 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:21 pm I tried my hardest to buy something during the half price sale but I just think they've missed the mark with their designs and couldn't pull the trigger.
Given everything in the current sale was 70% off six months ago, it's hard to see 50% off attracting any existing buyers.
Tribus did have a price reset earlier this year. I didn’t pay that much attention. With the lowered prices, the current sale does bring the sale price in line with the 70% off sale last November. Just for reference, the Tri-02 is currently on sale at £500; I bought one for £550 in the previous sale.
These users thanked the author thomcat00 for the post:
cwa
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

Was that on a bracelet thcat00? I paid £388 for my TRI-02 on the (excellent!) rubber strap, and they're definitely going for more right now in the 50% sale for that same model (in fact a quick check shows that inclusive of VAT that same model is currently £600!)... That's past the point where I'd consider it a bargain to be honest... unless it had the missing lume added! 😂
These users thanked the author Stif for the post:
Gar787
- Grant

"There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently, that which should not be done at all."

Developer of mobile watch app WristCheck - find out more at wristcheck.app
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

They've just reduced the black 20mm leather straps to £25 plus VAT, excellent value at that price.
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
Stif
cwa
Senior
Senior

Post by cwa »

What does everyone think of the leather quality vs CW leather?

I’ve had both in a similar style and colour and though they were significantly different - probably personal taste as to which is better, but interested in others opinions.

I kind of expected they might use the same supplier as CW?
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I'm very happy with the Tribus leather quality. The tan straps darken slightly with age. At sale prices they are excellent.

I still think the CW cordovan straps are unbeatable in comparison at full price. £125 for the CW compared with £120 for Tribus. Not even close.
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
cwa