Christopher Ward becomes Everton's Official Global Timing Partner

News related to Christopher Ward Watches
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Re: Christopher Ward becomes Everton's Official Global Timing Partner

Post by Soporsche »

jtc wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:29 pm Come on CW, bring an inspired new watch design to the party!

https://wornandwound.com/soccer-timers/

That is simply gorgeous! If CW launched that, they can sponsor what they like without recriminations from me 👍
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

Doesn't seem that great an association (for CW) , in my view. Everton' name doesn't have anything near the cachet of Liverpool's. It's not just the close escape from relegation last season . One of their sponsors was Usmanov and sanctions were imposed on him by the UK government.
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
hughesyn
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by hughesyn »

Stupid move imo.
I don't want to support Everton financially or by connection.

The timing is a bit off too, considering the club's issues with Russian money. Everton is a bit of a tainted brand at the moment both on and off the pitch.
C8 Pilot Mk II Vintage; C5 Quartz Mk II; C4 'Phoenix', C5 MMXV FLE, C7 Automatic Chronograph
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by sproughton »

I think there's a lot of overthinking here. It's a minor partnership that will completely pass by the vast majority of non-Everton fans, and frankly, probably most Evertonians.

Most people who come across the partnership aren't going to bat an eyelid about the man (Usmanov) who used to sponsor the training ground. Man City and Newcastle have horrendous regimes behind them and I imagine very few people stopped playing FIFA when EA became Man City's 'Official Gaming Partner', or stopped drinking Carling when they became Newcastle's 'Official Pouring Partner' (yes, that's the official term).

I don't get these types of deals commercially (they'll never make a difference to how I view companies' products) and maybe it is a bit of heart ruling head from MF, but it's unlikely to have much negative impact.
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

Soporsche wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:29 pm The thread is quite amusing and lively, its a fun read.
I'm agnostic re a specific football team and easy going re these things... but, and I know I'm likely in the minority here. I dislike in general football culture, brand and often values. It will unfortunately therefore slightly detract from my appreciation of the brand, if they do issue a branded watch this will be even more challenging for me.
I'll watch with interest and seriously hope they dont go all souvenir brand! I can think of many more sponsorship deals that would enhance the image of a luxury watch brand better than this (IMHO). That said its not the biggest deal in the world and if I liked a specific design I may still buy.
I totally agree with this
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Mind you, the initial offer of a trip to the states to see Everton pre season is pretty imaginative, although I need to pass on entering the draw. :D
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

A slightly different matter, I just loathe the Rolex adverts/sponsorship messages that crop up while watching golf and other sports. They actually put me off buying the brand.
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by sproughton »

JAFO wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:20 am A slightly different matter, I just loathe the Rolex adverts/sponsorship messages that crop up while watching golf and other sports. They actually put me off buying the brand.
Absolutely. I don't need reminding that Rolex sponsor the golf every few minutes.
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

sproughton wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:46 am
JAFO wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:20 am A slightly different matter, I just loathe the Rolex adverts/sponsorship messages that crop up while watching golf and other sports. They actually put me off buying the brand.
Absolutely. I don't need reminding that Rolex sponsor the golf every few minutes.
Do you think it’s just a dislike of advertising? I loath mostly all adverts tbh
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by sproughton »

^^yep I think so. Steadfast in my belief that advertising doesn't impact me (though I'm sure it does to some degree), and frankly I just don't want it to get in the way of what I'm watching.
Gar787
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

Post by Gar787 »

asqwerth wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:08 am Doesn't seem that great an association (for CW) , in my view. Everton' name doesn't have anything near the cachet of Liverpool's. It's not just the close escape from relegation last season . One of their sponsors was Usmanov and sanctions were imposed on him by the UK government.
Everton immediately dropped USM and Usmanov unlike Liverpool FC with Standard Chartered who have been caught & fined (twice) for sanction busting…🙈🤷🏻
PHIL
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I simply cannot begin to describe the effect that this is going to have on my life.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

^^^^ 😅😄🤣
These users thanked the author Soporsche for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Have to be honest, not really a fan of watches having affiliations or endorsements. If a brand chooses to align itself with an environmental cause or worthy charity, as CW has done with Tide, then that's cool. Oris seem to do good things in that department also, most recently pairing with Cervo Volanté to use culled deer skins to make watch straps. Even Elliot Brown, that I'm a fan of, do a lot for ex servicemen and women, as well as other charities like mountain rescue England and Wales and the Royal Lifeboat Association.

Football is very partisan and is constantly under the microscope in one way or another, often for the wrong reasons. I'm not overly sure this partnership will amount to much for either party. But let's not hope it becomes something as divisive as the logo debate.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:13 am I simply cannot begin to describe the effect that this is going to have on my life.
I PM'ed you. Why is there no "likey" option.
No likey, no lightey.