rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: Off to Maine for a week!

Post by rkovars »

jkbarnes wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:31 pm
rkovars wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:27 pm A couple of more suggestions:
Today we trekked down to Ogunquit and will stop in Kennebunkport on the way home. Dinner in Saco with friends tonight. Hopefully back to Port on and tomorrow. Saturday is beach day, Sunday is open.

Leaving for Cape Cod on Monday.
Rats! The Ramp Bar and Grill on Cape Porpoise is a must stop when I am in Kennebunk but it is closed on Thursday! Parsons Beach (south of Kennebunk off of route 9) is a nice beach to walk on. Kind of off the beaten path. Driving Beach Ave in Kennebunk is also nice. Some good picture taking scenery!
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

rkovars wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:05 pm …Some good picture taking scenery!
Indeed it is! Thanks for the beach suggestions. We might check them out.

AA4E492C-3FB4-495E-8C99-61006859F528.jpeg
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
rkovars
Drew
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Looks great, Mr & Mrs JKB. Have a good holi.
These users thanked the author Kansas City Milkman for the post:
jkbarnes
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

rkovars wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:05 pm Driving Beach Ave in Kennebunk is also nice. Some good picture taking scenery!
Outstanding drive! Thanks for the recommendation. My wife, a Cape Cod girl born and raised, was in heaven.
Drew
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Photo update…

7E1B66D9-C742-45D4-A5F3-762270ADC840.jpeg

365840C5-7B0A-4013-B40F-42F406CCEDB0.jpeg

524351C6-5582-4418-B8DA-BBAA742C0F17.jpeg
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 2):
ajax87golfjunky
Drew
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Wow, looks idyllic and some lovely weather to boot.. have a fabulous rest of stay and enjoy the good company, fantastic scenery, great food & drink and well deserved relaxation!
These users thanked the author Soporsche for the post:
jkbarnes
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I take it that's the same lighthouse in both pictures. That was a long walk :D
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

JAFO wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:09 pm I take it that's the same lighthouse in both pictures. That was a long walk :D
Yeah, same light house but not that long a walk. The wide angle of the one pic makes it look a further off
Drew
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Final pic from the vacation. We’ve left Maine and have driven to Cape Cod to see my wife’s parents. I love Cape Cod and have come to think of it as a second home. My in-laws still live in the house they built as a newlywed couple. My father-in-law spent his first few summers as a teacher selling ice cream from a truck so they could afford a lot with a view of the pond. This is the only home my wife ever had until she moved out as an adult. It’s a special place to her and has become very special to me.

This image is bittersweet as it captures the bittersweet nature of this visit. This is the back deck. It’s homey, comfortable, a bit shabby, and a bit eclectic. It captures my in-laws’ place, and them, perfectly. If you look closely through the door to the right, you can make out my father-in-law Michael in a hospital bed. He’s been on hospice care since January. He wants to pass away at home, in the house he built with my mother-in-law, where he raised his family, and with a view of the pond he spent summers selling ice cream to have.

This is my in-laws’ anniversary weekend. When we booked our trip, we thought Michael wouldn’t be with us. My wife didn’t want her mom to spend her first anniversary without Michael alone, so here we are, and Michael is still with us.

As I type this, we’re sitting on the couch thumbing through old pictures. I’ve only been with my wife for eight years, so my history with my in-laws is short. My father-in-law and I are peas in a pod. I wish I had more time with him but am incredibly grateful for the short time I’ve had.

CA33B05E-D669-413A-87BC-C7EA2D03960F.jpeg
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
Drew
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

^^ ^^
This is a very touching post, Andrew. It's a really beautiful and engaging story about your father in law, Michael. It seems that his circle of life is nearing its completion; in some ways it feels almost wrong being able to see a man whom I have no connection with in the twilight of his life in the home he built.

This post has left me feeling very philosophical about life and its impermanence. There is a message therein for all of us I guess.

Des
These users thanked the author strapline for the post:
jkbarnes
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

That is so poignant, Andrew. My heart goes out to you and to your wife’s family. Such a beautiful place.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
jkbarnes
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

strapline wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:12 pm in some ways it feels almost wrong being able to see a man whom I have no connection with in the twilight of his life in the home he built.
I thought quite a bit about that before posting. I had not at all had any intention of making a post like this, nor of capturing that particular image. I went out on the deck to listen to the wind through the trees as a storm approached. I caught Michael through the door and was really struck by the juxtaposition of the image.

As my wife and I enjoyed our time in Maine, this final stop was always looming in the background. If I thought too much about it, I found myself almost feeling guilty about Maine knowing we’d be coming here.

But this image of Michael tied it all together. This situation is heartbreaking (and really came out of no where in January), but this image helped me come to terms and find some peace with it - Michael is spending his final days in the center of his world, what he spent his life working to achieve and then maintain. I choose to see the beauty in that as a counterweight to the heartbreak we’re all feeling, and thought it a worthy way to end my vacation thread.
Drew
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

That is an amazing image Andrew. Taken with compassion and respect. I hope that when the time comes his passing is peaceful and without incident. I will be thinking of them and you up here in NH.
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
jkbarnes
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

I feel so humbled that you shared this image and your thoughts. Such strong words giving me a lot to contemplate. Thank you
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
jkbarnes
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Thank you Andrew!
A beautiful place, whilst I commented about pics/scenery in your earlier posts being idyllic, this one truly is!
These users thanked the author Soporsche for the post:
jkbarnes
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands