In hindsight...was the Christopher Ward rebrand of 2016 a historic mistake?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches

What should Christopher Ward do with their branding?

Keep it as it is - the rebrand is good
46%
Revert back to their old Chr.Ward brand and refresh it
38%
Create a 'heritage' and a 'modernist' line of watches
16%

Total votes: 63

golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: In hindsight...was the Christopher Ward rebrand of 2016 a historic mistake?

Post by golfjunky »

With every twist of this they seem to be backing themselves into a tricky corner.
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

It could easily be created using a polished single rectangle with the alternating patterns laser etched (or the like) to create a contrast in depth and finish.
These users thanked the author StrappedUp for the post:
JAFO
Ryan
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

^^^
Good thinking Ryan. They still have this issue of how to hold the four squares together though, unless they go for, say a red or black back ground on every watch. Orient have red in their logo, and you don't really notice it against non red watches..
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrappedUp »

JAFO wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:29 pm ^^^
Good thinking Ryan. They still have this issue of how to hold the four squares together though, unless they go for, say a red or black back ground on every watch. Orient have red in their logo, and you don't really notice it against non red watches..
Excuse the quick and dirty sketch, but a single piece is what I was suggesting ...

The etched parts being shaded.
Ryan
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

@strappedup
Drat, I've just lost my reply, and I'm having to do it again. Yes, I know what you mean.

To me, the problem comes with resolving the issue of the ground colour for the etched out pieces, as well as the colour for the raised pieces although that's probably polished steel. I imagine that's why they painted the swish on the Aquitaine. The treatment on the c7 range must have been somewhat more expensive, with different swishes needed for each model colour.
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrappedUp »

JAFO wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:33 pm To me, the problem comes with resolving the issue of the ground colour for the etched out pieces, as well as the colour for the raised pieces although that's probably polished steel.
It shouldn't need any coloured background as the contrast is provided by the different surface finishes.

See below for example.

Ryan
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

I agree Ryan. That should work pretty well and being applied just look that bit classier.
On another note does anyone know if cw are intending to do the same with the c60 sapphire range? Always liked these but the 9oclock loge always put me off.
FS zenith Chronomaster Original and Bremont Solo or trade for 5 digit Sub.
Cheers now, Paul
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

@strappedup.

Ryan, I zoomed in on the Brellum "dragon", which I then found out was actually a "wyvern", and I can see the image is actually raised/relief on a self-coloured base. So on the white dial that you show, the dial matches the ground of the logo. On their website, the logo isn't on every watch, but where it is, it's either similar to your photo, or in some cases gold. The ground of the logo is the same colour, so you get a relief logo of the wyvern. There also aren't many colours other than black or white. I am less keen on the Wyvern logo on the black watches, to be honest.

So when you do that with the CW swish, you need a colour/finish for the raised parts, say polished s/s as no the C7 range, and a colour for the etched out parts, including the vertical sides of the swish unit. This could be black, white, red, or even brushed s/s, each of which might work.

So that's what I was wondering what you had in mind. Would you change the etched colour depending on the actual watch dial colour, which can be any colour, as well as meteorite, textured and so. If you look at the c7's the etched colour changes each time to match the dial, although it's actually flush with the top of the swish, rather than being etched out.

Even with the Aquitaine, the painted logo is just white or black depending on the dial colour, rather than a more complementary shade to match the lume or the bezel. Incidentally, is it painted? I am not sure how you would paint and position those dead squares, so it's not quite clear to me how the non-applied swish actually gets applied! I expect a computer is involved though.
Stuart1
Senior
Senior

Post by Stuart1 »

From the picture above if the whole piece was chromed they would then be place on a jig in batches (tray) of say 25. Then they would be sprayed for the ‘dead squares’. Following this either while the paint was damp or dry the ‘high area’ could be polished to remove the paint. The result would high polish with darker paint in the dead spaces. If that were the case it may be probable that you would only need on type for all dials.
The above process is used on some types of badges (pins if in US).
For the current painted dials there is a process where they use a rubber ball to transfer the print from a master plate. YouTube have got some videos showing the process.
jf72

Post by jf72 »

Stuart1 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:33 pm From the picture above if the whole piece was chromed they would then be place on a jig in batches (tray) of say 25. Then they would be sprayed for the ‘dead squares’. Following this either while the paint was damp or dry the ‘high area’ could be polished to remove the paint. The result would high polish with darker paint in the dead spaces. If that were the case it may be probable that you would only need on type for all dials.
For the current painted dials there is a process where they use a rubber ball to transfer the print from a master plate. YouTube have got some videos showing the process.

:lol: i think this conversation could even make even the most pro-rebrand person in the world just say "for f***s sake just go back to the old branding"
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

jf72 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:37 pm
Stuart1 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:33 pm From the picture above if the whole piece was chromed they would then be place on a jig in batches (tray) of say 25. Then they would be sprayed for the ‘dead squares’. Following this either while the paint was damp or dry the ‘high area’ could be polished to remove the paint. The result would high polish with darker paint in the dead spaces. If that were the case it may be probable that you would only need on type for all dials.

:lol: i think this conversation could even make even the most pro-rebrand person into the world just say "for f***s sake just go back to the old branding"
:lol: :lol:
But which version of old branding? ](*,)
These users thanked the author Mikkei4 for the post:
Illiera
jf72

Post by jf72 »

Mikkei4 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:18 pm
jf72 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:37 pm

:lol: i think this conversation could even make even the most pro-rebrand person into the world just say "for f***s sake just go back to the old branding"
:lol: :lol:
But which version of old branding? ](*,)
there was a joke that someone made on youtube who said the thing they like about Christopher Ward is they can tell the year and even the month that the watch was made by the logo lol
These users thanked the author jf72 for the post:
Stuart1
rarebritishartglass
Junior
Junior

Post by rarebritishartglass »

I have certain models that I like and they have different “logo’s” - I think an important point to stress is that I don’t think I have ever bought or been attracted to a watch based on what the logo looks like.

I buy a watch based on the watch. The features, case, dial, style, build quality, materials - the logo is very much an afterthought and a very insignificant part of the watch.

I would buy an amazing watch with an awful looking logo but I wouldn’t buy an awful watch with an amazing looking logo!
My top 10 \ Favourite CW’s.....
C60 Elite LE | C60 5 Day LE | C60 Beast | C60 Bronze Ombré Chronometer (mk3) | C9 5 Day (White) | C60 Sapphire (Blue) | Standard C60 Black\Black mk3 | C60 Chr Red\White | C60 Chr Blue\White | Abyss for stealth.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I still don't understand how you intend to finish the blanks spaces.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

rarebritishartglass wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:41 pm I have certain models that I like and they have different “logo’s” - I think an important point to stress is that I don’t think I have ever bought or been attracted to a watch based on what the logo looks like.

I buy a watch based on the watch. The features, case, dial, style, build quality, materials - the logo is very much an afterthought and a very insignificant part of the watch.

I would buy an amazing watch with an awful looking logo but I wouldn’t buy an awful watch with an amazing looking logo!
Most definitely your personal choice, but other's opinions differ including my own as I consider the logo to be an important part of the overall look of a watch and it seems CW do also as they've spent plenty of time and probably money considering and implementing various logo.

Each to their own.