Can you help with some research, please?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Can you help with some research, please?

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:44 pm
jkbarnes wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:35 pm PBS produced an animated version of the story (and a few others by Macaulay) that I showed pretty consistently in class for a number of years.
Thank you, I just watched that all the way through. Wonderful! Thank you for sharing it, :thumbup:
Excellent! PBS produced four programs from his books. If you enjoyed this one, I highly recommend the others:

Cathedral - tells the story of the building a gothic cathedral
Castle - pretty obvious: the building of a castle in Wales to secure the countryside
City - tells the story of the Romans establishing a town in Roman Gaul.

While his stories are geared towards kids (I got my first copy of Castle while in middle school), they’re enjoyable as an adult if one’s curious about the history. That’s both the books and the videos.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 2):
Amor Vincit Omniathomcat00
Drew
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:01 pm Can you help me with some research, please?

1. Did you learn about the Ancient Egyptians at school...probably primary/elementary school?
Like others only the story based around Moses.

2. Do you remember the fuss over the "Treasures of Tutankhamun" exhibition at the British Museum in 1972? Did you go? (Age dependent, that one, but it also went to the US and Germany among other countries)
Yes, I remember that. At the time I was working near Green Park/Piccadilly and the Royal Academy of Arts building nearby had numerous posters advertising the exhibition. I didn't go though - IIRC all the fuss and tales of long queues turned me off going.

3. Have you seen the 1956 film "The Ten Commandments" (Charlton Heston/Yul Brynner) or the 1998 animated musical "The Prince of Egypt"?
Oh yes I've seen The Ten Commandments a few times.

4. Have you read Agatha Christie's "Death on the Nile" or seen one or more of the adaptations?
Seen 1 of the film adaptations. Plus read a few of Wilbur Smith's novels based in Ancient Egypt

If you can say yes to those, you probably know at least as much about Ancient Egypt as I did a few months ago. I know a little more now (scratching the surface!) and a travelogue is starting to take shape.

Thanks for your help!
Ancient Egypt fascinates me. How did they build all that stuff, use the annual Nile flooding for irrigation, is there any connection with the South American pyramids?? Were aliens involved? PS - Also love the Stargate film.
These users thanked the author Mikkei4 for the post:
Amor Vincit Omnia
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Mikkei4 wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:38 pm PS - Also love the Stargate film.
That came out right around when I first started teaching. For years I had to specifically tell students that aliens did not build the pyramids. Students referenced that movie like it was a documentary!
Drew
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

1. I recall fondly learning all about ancient Egypt in a few classes through middle and high school.

2. Born in 87 so…

3. Yes to both.

4. I haven’t read it or seen any adaptations.
These users thanked the author ajax87 for the post:
Amor Vincit Omnia
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
GTC854
Senior
Senior

Post by GTC854 »

Born in 1959

1. Yes we learned in Primary School and included at least one visit to look at a mummy .
2. Remember the exhibition but never attended as we lived in Scotland at the time. However my grandmother travelled from Glasgow to visit.
3 and 4 No. However Ive always held an interest in the subject - perhaps aroused by the childhood fascination of mummies and the old black and white horror films! Consequently I tend to watch and enjoy documentaries on the subject
These users thanked the author GTC854 for the post:
Amor Vincit Omnia
Gordon
Martin
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by Martin »

I have no specific recollection of ancient Egypt being taught at primary school.
I do remember the 1972 exhibition. I have vivid memories of colour photographs being produced which were both striking and uncommon for the time. The Ten Commandments is a film Ihave watched many times on TV. The animation I have no knowledge of.
I have read Death on the Nile and watched at least two film versions. She set a number of her books in and around archaeological digs, both Agatha and her husband would travel to the area to pursue their interest in the subject. You can see evidence of this at Greenway, her Devon house.
These users thanked the author Martin for the post:
Amor Vincit Omnia
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Martin wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:09 am I have read Death on the Nile and watched at least two film versions. She set a number of her books in and around archaeological digs, both Agatha and her husband would travel to the area to pursue their interest in the subject. You can see evidence of this at Greenway, her Devon house.
Now that is something I didn’t know! I’ve never been a great fan of the genre, but I’ve read a couple of books and seen the movies.

With regard to the question about primary school, it’s something that makes me slightly cross. certainly in school history syllabuses in the UK, we always seem to have adopted the idea that ancient history is suitable to be studied only by small children. when I did the GCE history course I remember an endless succession of tedious Victorian Prime Ministers, troubles in the Balkans and the emergence of Germany. Essential, I suppose, for an appreciation of what came later, but I would far rather have studied those rather sexy Egyptian gods and goddesses and the amazing monuments that were built.

The point Max made about being educated in the Middle East is quite interesting to. Countries naturally focus on their own history in the first instance when teaching it as a school subject; at least I believe they do.

It’s also interesting that a lot of people are too young to remember the exhibitions in the 1970s. I was 14 or 15 at the time so it certainly made an impression. I didn’t go, though I remember the gold mask and was blown away when I finally saw it in the museum at Cairo. Seeing that and the pyramids on the same day, not to mention my first view of the Nile itself, was quite something.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
CBMVic20
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by CBMVic20 »

1. Yes, and my daughter is currently doing the very same thing at primary school and enjoying it loads :thumbup:

2. Bit before my time but I remeber the fuss about it all and have visited the Museum much later. Does the Egyptian display at Harrods count? :lol:

3. Yes to both.

4. Yes and loved both the print version and recent remake.

My top tip for visiting Egypt / Pyramids is try not to look too comfortable otherwise you'll be constantly harassed for money (x2 if you're a woman). And keep an eye on your valuables - best wear a beater there.
These users thanked the author CBMVic20 for the post:
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW C9 SH21 | C60 Apex SH21 | C65 SH21
Ernst Benz Chronoscope DLC
Oris WilliamsF1 Day Date 2004
Phoibos Leviathan DLC
Seiko 5 Sports Orange "Baby" Monster
Tag Aquaracer | F1 Panda

Too many watches, not enough time :(
Amor Vincit Omnia

CBMVic20 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:45 am My top tip for visiting Egypt / Pyramids is try not to look too comfortable otherwise you'll be constantly harassed for money (x2 if you're a woman). And keep an eye on your valuables - best wear a beater there.
On the shore excursions I usually had enough money on me for a coffee, snack etc. I strode down the middle of every “market” (you have to go through them to get out of the temples) not looking at anything and saying “Lair, shukran” (no, thank you) all the time. I gave up buying trinkets on holiday years ago. I didn’t get bothered too much.

One of the ladies in our little group stopped and looked at everything and got mobbed. She looked very sweet and motherly, so all the young boys selling maps and postcards always flocked around her.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

1. If I did I have forgotten that we did.

2. I was 19 in 1972 and preoccupied with enjoying myself. I neither watched the news nor read the National Press which is something that I haven't done for the past 20 years either.

3. No I haven't.

4. Yes I have read the book because I am a complete devotee of Christie.

scooter
These users thanked the author scooter for the post:
Amor Vincit Omnia
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

1. No, we didn't cover that period of history at school. Although as we had to choose subjects for 'O' level after 2 years at grammar school I had to drop history so can't say if it was covered later. There was an Egyptian section in local museum which I visited as a young child. I remember being disturbed by the mummy on display.

2. Oh yes, although 11 I do remember it, it was all over the TV and papers. Royal Mail even brought out a 3p stamps to commemorate the exhibition.

3. I've probably seen the 1956 film many tears ago but couldn't tell you anything about it though.

4. Seen the film of the book a few time, the Peter Ustinov version fairly recently.
These users thanked the author exHowfener for the post:
Amor Vincit Omnia
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Amor Vincit Omnia

exHowfener wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:17 am Although as we had to choose subjects for 'O' level after 2 years at grammar school I had to drop history so can't say if it was covered later. .
We had a couple of short options as they were called. You had to choose between history and biology for one, and English literature and chemistry for another. No brainer for me, I hated science! Spanish against music was a bummer, I would have liked to do both but there was no way I was going to drop a language. Unfortunately physics was compulsory – I scraped the lowest pass possible. :lol:
Steve

gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:Can you help me with some research, please?

1. Did you learn about the Ancient Egyptians at school...probably primary/elementary school?

2. Do you remember the fuss over the "Treasures of Tutankhamun" exhibition at the British Museum in 1972? Did you go? (Age dependent, that one, but it also went to the US and Germany among other countries)

3. Have you seen the 1956 film "The Ten Commandments" (Charlton Heston/Yul Brynner) or the 1998 animated musical "The Prince of Egypt"?

4. Have you read Agatha Christie's "Death on the Nile" or seen one or more of the adaptations?

If you can say yes to those, you probably know at least as much about Ancient Egypt as I did a few months ago. I know a little more now (scratching the surface!) and a travelogue is starting to take shape.

Thanks for your help!
1. Born in 1958 (duh!) Learned about ancient Egypt in primary school.

2. I live at the opposite end of the earth from the UK, so no, that one passed me by as a kid.

3. Saw the Ten Commandments, not seen the Prince of Egypt.

4. Not read the book, but have seen a few film and TV adaptations.

My wife on the other hand can answer a resounding yes yes to all of those, including primary, secondary and tertiary study of ancient Egypt and a later-in-life awareness of the exhibition; she’s an archaeologist, not as common an occupation in Australia as it seems to be in the UK and Europe. She was also very disappointed when the Australian leg of a much later exhibition (Treasures of the Golden Pharaoh) planned for 2021 was cancelled due to Covid; we’d have been definitely going otherwise. She’s seen both movies, read the book a couple of times and seen numerous adaptations. Puts me to shame really.
These users thanked the author gaf1958 for the post:
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

iain wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:24 pm 1. No we didn’t learn about Egypt outside of anything religious and to do with Moses. Nothing at all at secondary school

2. Too young for that, I wasn’t born until 74.

3. Not seen either film.

4. Not read Death on the Nile either, or seen any of the film adaptations.

However Powerslave, with the Egyptian themed Eddie is probably my favourite Iron Maiden album if that counts.
Powerslave was my first Iron Maiden show. Twisted Sister was the opening act. I’ve seen Maiden 4 times after. :)
These users thanked the author thomcat00 for the post:
iain
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

1. I learned about ancient Egypt for the first time in 2nd grade. My mother was also interested in the subject. We had several books about pharaohs and pyramids and deities.

2. My family and I went to see the touring Tutankhamen exhibit in both Philadelphia and Washington, DC.

3. I saw the 1956 film on tv at least twice, but not in the last 45 years.

4. Never did read any Agatha Christie.
These users thanked the author thomcat00 for the post:
Amor Vincit Omnia
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair